Becky's Dad

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:33 pm

Having a bit of a struggle
its been awhile since I worked with Fruitbox . I have installed the 1.6 verion image to a fresh micro sd card 128 gb san disk .
Running RpI3b plus booting form micro sd card . Mp3 files are on 64 gb usb stick
Fruitbox boots up no problem. choose a skin -Wurly-. no mp3 files found .
Tried adding dir in /home and editing skin config file music path. still same error .
Tried adding dir in the root image is write protected . I am stumped . Where does this path from the config file point to?
MusicPath = ../Music/.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW great work Mike

Your USB stick needs to be mounted each time the rpi starts up.
To auto-mount the usb stick at each startup use Putty or a command line interface and enter:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/usb
sudo nano /etc/fstab

When inside the nano editor, add the following line at the end
of the table:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat defaults 0 0

then Save the file (Ctrl-O), then Quit nano (Ctrl-X).

Then in your fruitbox configuration file (fruitbox.cfg), set the 'MusicPath' parameter to MusicPath= mnt/usb/

(The above can be found in the User Guide para 11)

fruitbox

Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:25 pm

fastfug wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:42 pm
Having a bit of a struggle
its been awhile since I worked with Fruitbox . I have installed the 1.6 verion image to a fresh micro sd card 128 gb san disk .
Running RpI3b plus booting form micro sd card . Mp3 files are on 64 gb usb stick
Fruitbox boots up no problem. choose a skin -Wurly-. no mp3 files found .
Tried adding dir in /home and editing skin config file music path. still same error .
Tried adding dir in the root image is write protected . I am stumped . Where does this path from the config file point to?
MusicPath = ../Music/.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW great work Mike
MusicPath = ../Music/ means look for a Music directory which is one directory above where you are running fruitbox from. Note also in Linux the paths are case sensitive.

If something is write protected, you can change it using sudo chmod +w <file or directory> to add write permission.

fastfug

Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:54 pm

Thanks for the help
Much appreciated

ehuonder

Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:29 pm

I'm trying to use the [dynamic] feature with bitmaps for position and size. I am able to make bitmaps move/grow in a positive direction, but am unable to make bitmaps move/shrink in a negative direction.

For example,

[bitmap]
File = MyImage.png
Position = 300 [400 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1] 50 [100 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1]
Size = 80 200

Works, moving the image to the right and down as the spectrum band increases. But if I want the bitmap to move up and to the left as the spectrum band increases, I tried the below based on what I see in the delivered skins:

[bitmap]
File = MyImage.png
Position = 300 [200 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1] 100 [50 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1]
Size = 80 200

In this case, the bitmap never moves from position 300, 100.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? or is this a non supported feature?

I've tried similar tests with the Size parameter which also only allow me to grow the bitmap.

Thanks for any assisantance.

fruitbox

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:54 pm

ehuonder wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:29 pm
I'm trying to use the [dynamic] feature with bitmaps for position and size. I am able to make bitmaps move/grow in a positive direction, but am unable to make bitmaps move/shrink in a negative direction.

For example,

[bitmap]
File = MyImage.png
Position = 300 [400 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1] 50 [100 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1]
Size = 80 200

Works, moving the image to the right and down as the spectrum band increases. But if I want the bitmap to move up and to the left as the spectrum band increases, I tried the below based on what I see in the delivered skins:

[bitmap]
File = MyImage.png
Position = 300 [200 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1] 100 [50 ${SPECTRUM_BAND} 1]
Size = 80 200

In this case, the bitmap never moves from position 300, 100.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? or is this a non supported feature?

I've tried similar tests with the Size parameter which also only allow me to grow the bitmap.

Thanks for any assisantance.
Hi,

I would say that's an oversight on my part. It would be logical to have it work that way, but looking at the source code it looks like I didn't code it to work in both directions. I'll see if I can fix that in the next release.

Cheers
Mike

Bioumanbleu

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:18 pm

Cuda360 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:08 pm
[attachment=0]Capture.PNG[/attachm
Your going to edit the rc.local file by putting in this sudo nano /etc/rc.local in the comand line.
Then add these lines

cd /home/pi/fruitbox
./fruitbox --skin skins/wurly/fruitbox.cfg

Look at picture .. Put the skin name that you want in where it says Wurly in picture . When done hit control o then enter then control x ..
Thanx for your help, sorry it doesn't work ....
My version is 1.16a.

https://zupimages.net/up/22/47/09ci.jpg

Florian
Last edited by Bioumanbleu on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitbox

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Bioumanbleu wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:18 pm
Cuda360 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:08 pm
[attachment=0]Capture.PNG[/attachm
Your going to edit the rc.local file by putting in this sudo nano /etc/rc.local in the comand line.
Then add these lines

cd /home/pi/fruitbox
./fruitbox --skin skins/wurly/fruitbox.cfg

Look at picture .. Put the skin name that you want in where it says Wurly in picture . When done hit control o then enter then control x ..
Thanx for your help, sorry it doesn't work ....
My version is 1.16a.

https://zupimages.net/up/22/47/09ci.jpg

Florian
There is no --skin command line argument in v1 (only v2). Use --cfg instead.

Mike

fastfug

Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:22 am

Issue with installing V2 32 bit on a Pi4 . with pifi dac 2.0
Initial install goes fine .
Issue I when is try and start Fruitbox from terminal ." not a terminal window on the desktop"
I get this error message :
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /home/pi/fruitbox
pi@raspberrypi:~/fruitbox $ ./fruitbox
./fruitbox: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Not sure if I missed something during the install. Did a file get dropped or corrupted ?
I downloaded from the correct source I believe:
https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-frui ... box_pi4_32.
followed the install instructions from the git hub page.
Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Any and all help is appreciated.

fruitbox

Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:57 am

fastfug wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:22 am
Issue with installing V2 32 bit on a Pi4 . with pifi dac 2.0
Initial install goes fine .
Issue I when is try and start Fruitbox from terminal ." not a terminal window on the desktop"
I get this error message :
./fruitbox: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Not sure if I missed something during the install. Did a file get dropped or corrupted ?
I downloaded from the correct source I believe:
https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-frui ... box_pi4_32.
followed the install instructions from the git hub page.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Try installing libbcm_host manually...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libbcm_host
And not sure what you mean by "not a terminal on the desktop". The executable was designed to be run from the desktop environment, so needs be started from a desktop icon or a terminal from within the desktop. If you are booting to the command prompt and not starting up the desktop environment I can't guarantee it'll work.

Cheers
Mike

fastfug

Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:50 pm

Thanks Mike
I will try this and post my results.
Much apprecited.

fastfug

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:06 pm

tried your suggestion
no luck
Brand new fresh sd card 64 g fresh install of 32 bit buster.
install fruitbox v.2 . Tried to update sudo apt-get install libbcm_host .
error received on update . see below

./fruitbox: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~/fruitbox $ sudo apt-get install libbcm_host
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libbcm_host
pi@raspberrypi:~/fruitbox $

I am going to try again with 64 bit version of buster on my pi4

fruitbox

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:09 pm

fastfug wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:06 pm
tried your suggestion
no luck
Brand new fresh sd card 64 g fresh install of 32 bit buster.
install fruitbox v.2 . Tried to update sudo apt-get install libbcm_host .
error received on update . see below

./fruitbox: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~/fruitbox $ sudo apt-get install libbcm_host
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libbcm_host
pi@raspberrypi:~/fruitbox $

I am going to try again with 64 bit version of buster on my pi4
Maybe the library name is different. Try

sudo apt-cache search bcm_host
And it should give you a list. Then install the one that looks right.

Mike

fastfug

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:18 pm

Just tried it
No list appears after inputting the command
see below :

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-cache search bcm_host

visualj

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 pm

I just want to say thanks for the project.

I got it loaded and configured on a RPi 3 with a 10" touchscreen. Built a box for it to put in my bar. For now, I am just using the onboard audio with the 3.5 mm plug. Eventually, I will get the HiFiBerry set up.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, when I start FruitBox with sudo, I do not get any audio, but when I just start it, I get audio.
sudo ./fruitbox -- no audio
./fruitbox -- audio

The reason I use sudo is to create the database file. I put all the songs on a thumbdrive, so I can create a playlist for each get together.

Not a huge issue, and probably has to do with permissions. Haven't dug into it too deeply, as I am not the best with those.

Thanks again,
Jay

fruitbox

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:13 am

visualj wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 pm
I just want to say thanks for the project.

I got it loaded and configured on a RPi 3 with a 10" touchscreen. Built a box for it to put in my bar. For now, I am just using the onboard audio with the 3.5 mm plug. Eventually, I will get the HiFiBerry set up.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, when I start FruitBox with sudo, I do not get any audio, but when I just start it, I get audio.
sudo ./fruitbox -- no audio
./fruitbox -- audio

The reason I use sudo is to create the database file. I put all the songs on a thumbdrive, so I can create a playlist for each get together.

Not a huge issue, and probably has to do with permissions. Haven't dug into it too deeply, as I am not the best with those.

Thanks again,
Jay
Hi Jay

If you are just running in sudo mode to get over the fact that you need to write to the thumb drive, then maybe it's easier to just give yourself permission to write to the thumb drive...

sudo chmod 777 <thumbdrive root>
Mike

visualj

Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:06 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:13 am

Hi Jay

If you are just running in sudo mode to get over the fact that you need to write to the thumb drive, then maybe it's easier to just give yourself permission to write to the thumb drive...

sudo chmod 777 <thumbdrive root>
Mike
That is what I am doing. And that is the command I needed.

Thanks,
Jay

Becky's Dad

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 pm

So far I have been playing around with fruitbox connected to a display via hdmi for sound.
Today I've been struggling to get sound out of my Hifiberry Dac+ as I want an improved quality and level of sound .

Initially I was getting no sound output from the Hifiberry Dac+ and suspected it was something in /boot/config.txt. So I copied over my config.txt from one of my pi's running Volumio with the same dac. the hifiberry card was being detected and selected by Buster and I was able to play audio from the desktop via VLC player but still not from within fruitbox.

I searched for previous occurences and found an earlier comment on Git Hub (https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/issues/42) and checked it against my issue and sure enough if I run ./fruitbox from a command line I get sound output but not if I autorun fruitbox.

I tried setting the hifiberry as default in alsa (https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Setti ... ult_device) but I now get an error "Couldn't reserve audio samples". I was getting this same error earlier when commenting out "dtparam=audio=on" in config.txt

I really want Fruitbox to autorun on boot - anyone encountered this issue and found a fix ?

fruitbox

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Becky's Dad wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 pm
So far I have been playing around with fruitbox connected to a display via hdmi for sound.
Today I've been struggling to get sound out of my Hifiberry Dac+ as I want an improved quality and level of sound .

Initially I was getting no sound output from the Hifiberry Dac+ and suspected it was something in /boot/config.txt. So I copied over my config.txt from one of my pi's running Volumio with the same dac. the hifiberry card was being detected and selected by Buster and I was able to play audio from the desktop via VLC player but still not from within fruitbox.

I searched for previous occurences and found an earlier comment on Git Hub (https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/issues/42) and checked it against my issue and sure enough if I run ./fruitbox from a command line I get sound output but not if I autorun fruitbox.

I tried setting the hifiberry as default in alsa (https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Setti ... ult_device) but I now get an error "Couldn't reserve audio samples". I was getting this same error earlier when commenting out "dtparam=audio=on" in config.txt

I really want Fruitbox to autorun on boot - anyone encountered this issue and found a fix ?
Hi,

this is really out of my area of knowledge, but thinking about what the difference is between auto-running fruitbox and doing it manually is ... timing. When you auto-run fruitbox, I guess lots of things are starting up at the same time, including the audio (hifiberry) drivers. So maybe there's some sort of race going on. Maybe it's possible to auto-run fruitbox after some sort of time delay, so that it's run after the dust has settled? I don't know.

Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”