User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:27 pm

Hi,
since Bullseye the appearance settings for small screens are lost after a reboot.
It worked better in Buster.

And the appearance settings Menu bar continue to jeopardize the panel settings when "left" ist chosen.
:-(
The "menu bar" settings should be removed from appearance, it conflicts with the "panel settings".

Please forward to respective maintainers.

klricks
Posts: 8589
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:55 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:27 pm
Hi,
since Bullseye the appearance settings for small screens are lost after a reboot.
It worked better in Buster.

And the appearance settings Menu bar continue to jeopardize the panel settings when "left" ist chosen.
:-(
The "menu bar" settings should be removed from appearance, it conflicts with the "panel settings".

Please forward to respective maintainers.
Are you using the correct app from [Menu] --> [Preferences]?

Code: Select all

pipanel
It works correctly for me and there is not a choice selection for Left or Right,....... Top or Bottom only.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPi OS Bullseye w/ Desktop OS.

User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:49 pm

klricks wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:55 pm
Are you using the correct app from [Menu] --> [Preferences]?
What means "correct" app?
You have unfortunately two concurring ways to configure the panel
a) from Preferences --> Apparence Settings --> Menu bar (imo is the wrong way and should be removed)
b) from a right click on the panel --> panel settings (this is the right way, which includes the left placement option and a lot of better features)
This is a screen from the orginal LXPanel and the very place to enter settings.
Having two different programs doing (almost) the same things is imho a mess and a waste of resources.

Regards.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 am

What if there are multiple ways for getting the same result (so no right or wrong one)?
What is your 'small screen' definition? Might be different for others ...

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 4894
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:13 am

raspberry is a fork of lxde, there settings are done a bit different in some cases.
you can expect the panel to work with the setting of top or bottom, but left and right are not tested, same go's for the applets, not all will work as the raspberry team have also done some work on lxpanel.

you have to think of it as raspberry os desktop, not lxde desktop, the settings they know to work are presented to you in the menu, while other settings are just hanging around because there just part of the code, to much trouble to remove/rewrite.

it's not a regression or broken, it's how they wish it to be used, it's there vision of how they want it.
your free to change it to your needs, you just need to understand, it's a fork, they have modified it from the original lxde desktop.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 32146
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:43 am

rin67630 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:27 pm
since Bullseye the appearance settings for small screens are lost after a reboot.
It worked better in Buster.
Any more detail on this? What is a small screen? Procedure to replicate?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:21 pm

Any more detail on this? What is a small screen? Procedure to replicate?
Small screen is one of the three settings on Preferences --> Apparence Settings (last tab).

That sets the icons and the fonts to small.

After a reboot these settings are gone, that was not the case with buster.

User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:37 pm

kerry_s wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:13 am
raspberry is a fork of lxde, there settings are done a bit different in some cases.
you can expect the panel to work with the setting of top or bottom, but left and right are not tested, same go's for the applets, not all will work as the raspberry team have also done some work on lxpanel.
There is no reason to duplicate the settings and make the job twice, confusing people with different wordings, conflicting and finally providing a less capable solution.
I would strongly recommend to take completely out the confusing "menu bar" stuff from the appearance settings and use a menu entry "panel settings" that just leads to the LXDE dialog.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:21 am

rin67630 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:21 pm
Any more detail on this? What is a small screen? Procedure to replicate?
Small screen is one of the three settings on Preferences --> Apparence Settings (last tab).

That sets the icons and the fonts to small.

After a reboot these settings are gone, that was not the case with buster.
need to check that on a freshly installed OS. If they were 'gone' then it's after an update, and not a simple reboot.
Checked it on a DUT which runs a 64-bit OS

Code: Select all

pi@CM4WaveC:~ $ uname -a
Linux CM4WaveC 5.15.76-v8+ #1597 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 4 12:16:41 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Right Click on Desktop -> DESKTOP PREFERENCES -> DEFAULTS
Everything is there; settings can be changed and are persistent after reboot.

So what is your complaint? DUT is a 2GB Pi with a VGA display connected to DPI interface.
2022-12-04-072814_640x480_scrot.jpg
Unchanged settings
2022-12-04-072814_640x480_scrot.jpg (82.27 KiB) Viewed 776 times
2022-12-04-072837_640x480_scrot.jpg
Changed the defaults to SMALL SCREEN. Compare to the image with unchanged settings shown above.
2022-12-04-072837_640x480_scrot.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 776 times

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:04 am

Tested with a fresh 32-bit installation, set the defaults to small.
1.jpg
fresh 32-bit Bullseye installation, defaults set to small
1.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Installed all updates and rebooted -> panel got reset to initial (medium) settings.
2.jpg
installed all updates. After the reboot the panel size got reverted.
2.jpg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Set appearance to small screen defaults again -> done!
3.jpg
Setting defaults to small screen again -> done
3.jpg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Not a real issue, only a 'lil inconvenient for some of us... If you want to avoid that second selection simply make the change after the update/upgrade.

Edit: If I want to change the appearance I'm doing this via xrandr

Code: Select all

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary --scale 1.5x1.5

User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:04 am
Not a real issue, only a 'lil inconvenient for some of us...
Objection !
It is a regression.
It worked without the flaw in Buster.
Can it possibly be caused by a more extensive use of the overlay file system now?

And -please- think about users of the Adafruit 320*240 pixels LCD HAT, do not assume HDMI and external monitors.
:)

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:32 am

rin67630 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 pm
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:04 am
Not a real issue, only a 'lil inconvenient for some of us...
Objection !
It is a regression.
It worked without the flaw in Buster.
Can it possibly be caused by a more extensive use of the overlay file system now?

And -please- think about users of the Adafruit 320*240 pixels LCD HAT, do not assume HDMI and external monitors.
:)
sorry, don't get your point! I' ve posted the outcome of my testing - made with a 640x480pixels 5.6in screen connected to DPI interface, running KMS graphics driver - and demonstrated it is working as expected.

So what's the problem still? Will work for smaller screens as well. Sorry, can't show that as the VGA is the smallest one I have on hands atm, but know it's working as I've used it with 3.5in QVGA screens already
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:22 am

You have seen yourself that the small screen setting does not survive a boot cycle after power down.
That is imho not acceptable. Preferences MUST be remanant. They were with buster, they do not any more with Bullseye.
When you have a 320*240 LCD HAT, you get a complete mess and can't get out without external help.

I had a real hard time a couple of years ago trying to convince the Raspberry team to take attention to the users of these HATs:
-Adafruit: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... i/overview
-Seed: https://www.seeedstudio.com/3-5-Inch-TF ... -2248.html
-Waveshare: https://www.waveshare.com/4inch-hdmi-lcd-h.htm
Finally Buster came out with the brilliant idea of the "small screens" defaults. What a relief !
And now Bulleyes jeopardizes it again just because it forgets the preferences?

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:40 am

rin67630 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:22 am
You have seen yourself that the small screen setting does not survive a boot cycle after power down.
That is imho not acceptable. Preferences MUST be remanant. They were with buster, they do not any more with Bullseye.
When you have a 320*240 LCD HAT, you get a complete mess and can't get out without external help.

I had a real hard time a couple of years ago trying to convince the Raspberry team to take attention to the users of these HATs:
-Adafruit: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... i/overview
-Seed: https://www.seeedstudio.com/3-5-Inch-TF ... -2248.html
-Waveshare: https://www.waveshare.com/4inch-hdmi-lcd-h.htm
Finally Buster came out with the brilliant idea of the "small screens" defaults. What a relief !
And now Bulleyes jeopardizes it again just because it forgets the preferences?
wrong!
It does not survive after a kernel update. That's what I've noted.once changed after the initial update the settings will survive reboots.

Feel free to raise an issue on https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

User avatar
rin67630
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:08 pm

It does not survive a power cycle neither.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:07 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:08 pm
It does not survive a power cycle neither.
Will test once again on a fresh Bullseye.
Be prepared to get blamed in case it's working as expected.

will do this test on DSI/DPI and HDMI...

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:37 am

all done on an RPi4 1GB, HW rev 1.5
Started testing on 32-bit OS

Code: Select all

pi@32-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 32-test 5.15.61-v7l+ #1579 SMP Fri Aug 26 11:13:03 BST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
1. Ran update and upgrade via SSH

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get full-upgrade
2. reboot
3. check kernel version again

Code: Select all

pi@32-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 32-test 5.15.76-v7l+ #1597 SMP Fri Nov 4 12:14:58 GMT 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
4. start raspi-config and enable VNC
5. connect to the DUT via VNC
6. right click on desktop -> DESKTOP preferences-> select small
7. reboot the system

-> settings have survived the reboot
1 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

8. shutdown the system and re-power if after some seconds
-> settings have survived re-power
2 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

testing on 64-bit OS
pi@64-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 64-test 5.15.61-v8+ #1579 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 26 11:16:44 BST 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
9. ran update and upgrade via SSH
10. reboot
11. check kernel again

Code: Select all

pi@64-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 64-test 5.15.76-v8+ #1597 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 4 12:16:41 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux 
12. start raspi-config and enable VNC
13. connect to the DUT via VNC
14. right click on desktop -> DESKTOP preferences-> select small
15. reboot the system

-> settings have survived the reboot
3 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

16. shutdown the system and re-power it after some seconds
-> settings have survived re-power
4 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)
rin67630 wrote:It does not survive a power cycle neither.
@rin67360 .. what's your next incorrect claim/statement?

Will test HDMI later when I have my 5.9in FHD screen connected. Intend to do it the other way around and select defaults for large screens there as FHD on 5.9in is quite small.
But .. pretty sure this will lead to 6 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

Btw, here is the config.txt I've tested with (that's the one from 64-bit as example; just added the overlay for th 5.6in DPI display, rest all stock). I've enabled a DPI display, One is able to test all the above even without having the physical display connected as VNC will happily show you the results!

Code: Select all

# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

# Automatically load overlays for detected cameras
camera_auto_detect=1

# Automatically load overlays for detected DSI displays
display_auto_detect=1

# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

# Run in 64-bit mode
arm_64bit=1

# Disable compensation for displays with overscan
disable_overscan=1

[cm4]
# Enable host mode on the 2711 built-in XHCI USB controller.
# This line should be removed if the legacy DWC2 controller is required
# (e.g. for USB device mode) or if USB support is not required.
otg_mode=1

[all]

[pi4]
# Run as fast as firmware / board allows
arm_boost=1

[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dpi-panel,at056tn53v1
dtparam=backlight-pwm=1,backlight-pwm-chan=1,backlight-pwm-gpio=19
#dtparam=rotate=180

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 32146
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:06 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:37 am
all done on an RPi4 1GB, HW rev 1.5
Started testing on 32-bit OS

Code: Select all

pi@32-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 32-test 5.15.61-v7l+ #1579 SMP Fri Aug 26 11:13:03 BST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
1. Ran update and upgrade via SSH

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get full-upgrade
2. reboot
3. check kernel version again

Code: Select all

pi@32-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 32-test 5.15.76-v7l+ #1597 SMP Fri Nov 4 12:14:58 GMT 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
4. start raspi-config and enable VNC
5. connect to the DUT via VNC
6. right click on desktop -> DESKTOP preferences-> select small
7. reboot the system

-> settings have survived the reboot
1 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

8. shutdown the system and re-power if after some seconds
-> settings have survived re-power
2 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

testing on 64-bit OS
pi@64-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 64-test 5.15.61-v8+ #1579 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 26 11:16:44 BST 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
9. ran update and upgrade via SSH
10. reboot
11. check kernel again

Code: Select all

pi@64-test:~ $ uname -a
Linux 64-test 5.15.76-v8+ #1597 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 4 12:16:41 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux 
12. start raspi-config and enable VNC
13. connect to the DUT via VNC
14. right click on desktop -> DESKTOP preferences-> select small
15. reboot the system

-> settings have survived the reboot
3 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

16. shutdown the system and re-power it after some seconds
-> settings have survived re-power
4 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)
rin67630 wrote:It does not survive a power cycle neither.
@rin67360 .. what's your next incorrect claim/statement?

Will test HDMI later when I have my 5.9in FHD screen connected. Intend to do it the other way around and select defaults for large screens there as FHD on 5.9in is quite small.
But .. pretty sure this will lead to 6 (aBUGSworstnightmare) : 0 (rin67630)

Btw, here is the config.txt I've tested with (that's the one from 64-bit as example; just added the overlay for th 5.6in DPI display, rest all stock). I've enabled a DPI display, One is able to test all the above even without having the physical display connected as VNC will happily show you the results!

Code: Select all

# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

# Automatically load overlays for detected cameras
camera_auto_detect=1

# Automatically load overlays for detected DSI displays
display_auto_detect=1

# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

# Run in 64-bit mode
arm_64bit=1

# Disable compensation for displays with overscan
disable_overscan=1

[cm4]
# Enable host mode on the 2711 built-in XHCI USB controller.
# This line should be removed if the legacy DWC2 controller is required
# (e.g. for USB device mode) or if USB support is not required.
otg_mode=1

[all]

[pi4]
# Run as fast as firmware / board allows
arm_boost=1

[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dpi-panel,at056tn53v1
dtparam=backlight-pwm=1,backlight-pwm-chan=1,backlight-pwm-gpio=19
#dtparam=rotate=180
Your attitude in some recent posts is not what I would like to see. Please keep this aggressive tone off the forums. Nothing wrong with the content, just the presentation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: BULLSEYE regression: settings for small screens

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:11 am

Wow .. With FIFA world championship ongoing we're not allowed to make references...?

I'm taking my time to show things are working whereas other users make incorrect statements without providing even simplest evidence.

Will leave such posts to other audiences feedback next time (and save that 30min of time it took me to prepare this post above from scratch).

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”