AlexMaghen

Updated End-User WiFi Setup for RpiZero

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:14 pm

Hi. I have found lots of articles out there for how to make your Pi wifi configurable by an end-user when it has no keyboard, monitor, or access to the /boot directory. So what I mean here is that business where the Pi becomes it's own WiFi Access Point. User connects to that wifi, say, from their phone, and configures wifi settings (and passwords, etc.) and then clicks "Go" and the Pi configures itself and restarts - now connected to WiFi.

The problem is that I haven't found any of these solutions that doesn't require a lot of complex configuration that I don't understand. I'm not "bad" with this stuff, but some of this is way outta my league.

If anyone knows of such a package that's updated, will install and work on a PiZero, and is somewhat well-packaged for installation and use - I'd love a pointer!

Thanks!

Alex

neilgl

Re: Updated End-User WiFi Setup for RpiZero

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:45 pm

Have a look at RaspAP

AlexMaghen

Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:08 am

neilgl wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:45 pm
Have a look at RaspAP
Ok, this is VERY cool. It does seem a bit overkill for what I want to do. Also, I guess I was looking for something that would script out the whole process for me of allowing the end user to connect to it, the limited UI for them to join it to WiFi, then reboot to become a simple DHCP customer of that WiFi.

Is there wrapper for this thing that you know of that might perform those functions?

Alex

neilgl

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:34 am

Have you installed it and tested if the nodogsplash integration does what you want?

epoch1970

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:57 am

The scenario is more complex than it appears on the surface.

Imagine the computer happens to be in a school room, and in fact 10 students each try configuring their own pi and connect it to the network at about the same time. How do students find their own machine? How can they assert control over their machine, in case something (or someone…) “configured” it for them? …

I made a prototype some time ago; It’s a script so you can read if interested. https://github.com/epoch1970/Pinghy
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

neilgl

Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 pm

Pinghy looks good.
Would we need a USB-ethernet adapter to install it on an RPi zero W or could files be set up on microSD card first?

epoch1970

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:47 pm

neilgl wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 pm
Pinghy looks good.
Would we need a USB-ethernet adapter to install it on an RPi zero W or could files be set up on microSD card first?
Looks good from far, as they say ;)
It works relatively well and perhaps the Desktop install doesn’t require installing notifyd/libnotify anymore. The project was built on an older version of RaspiOS.
The thing totally relies on dhcpcd. I’m not one to test if Network Manager can replace it.

I was still able to make the thing crash “reliably” by pressing the hot key too early at boot, and didn’t look into the situation.
I had hopes to change the hot key to something like alt-F12, but my very limited understanding of all things hardware curbed that ambition.

I was using my usual trusted Pi3B, which has Ethernet built-in. I assume the script and config files could be baked in the OS, but I’ve never looked into that.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “General discussion”