kwonminkyung

I report a high price case by official Reseller in Korea

Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:01 am

Hello, I am Minkyung Kwon who is doing coding education with Raspberry Pi.

I want to report a high price case by official Reseller in Korea.

Coding education is popular and very active in Korea these days, and coding education is usually done with Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Microbit products. In particular, since it is the beginning of the semester, many students are purchasing a lot of coding materials for assignments.

However, Microbit and Arduino can be purchased relatively inexpensively, but since two years ago, the price of Raspberry Pi products has increased so much that I cannot buy them. Even if you search on the Internet, the price has risen more than twice the original price, and it is very difficult to purchase it because it is sold out every time. In particular, from the perspective of the school, the related budget is set, but the price is too high, so it is impossible to purchase within that budget, so even if you want to do coding education with Raspberry Pi, you cannot.

Even on the Korean official reseller site, it is out of stock or the price is too high. A while ago, I was searching for and purchasing the products I needed on a portal site, but there was a rare raspberry pi 4 2G 4G in open market like NAVER. But the store farm operator is Eleparts, a reseller. However, I confirmed that they do not sell the Raspberry Pi 4 2G 4G individually, but only as a kit.

Isn't this a Korean reseller?? I don't know why Eleparts' own site raises the price of Raspberry Pi single products and kits at low prices, and INDICATE NO STOCK. BLOCK THE PURCHASE FUNCTION. and sells only kit products at higher prices in other 3rd party shopping mall or marketplace .. korean amazon

Has the price of the Raspberry Pi all gone up? Or is the price of supplying Raspberry Pi to resellers expensive? Is Eleparts selling expensive? Will they continue to sell at this price in the future? Then me and my school can't use Raspberry Pi.

Recently, people coding or educating with Raspberry Pi have been using a lot of other products, and it seems that there was a reason. I wish I could come up with a plan.

Attachments are how this "official" reseller sell high with stock in open market like Korean Amazon.
and no stock in their official sit e.
Attachments
캡처3.JPG
캡처3.JPG (95.82 KiB) Viewed 875 times
캡처1.JPG
캡처1.JPG (81.23 KiB) Viewed 875 times
캡처2.JPG
캡처2.JPG (88.71 KiB) Viewed 875 times

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: I report a high price case by official Reseller in Korea

Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:46 am

you can't stop official resellers from selling kits only! It's their business so they are free to decide how to sell their stock.

Simply don't buy from them to show them it's not a appreciated doing so. If their turnover goes down they might revert.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:01 pm

You might not know this but there is a chip crisis going on which has resulted that many types of chips (and other parts) are very hard to come by.
Resulting in that the RPF has a hard time building enough PI's to meet the demand, which has also risen due to things like cheap Zoom call devices.
Therefore it can take a long time to wait for your turn in the queue . In the mean time prices from official dealers should NOT have risen, and should be the same as before the covid crisis. But resellers are still free to sell kits and add stuff to a PI and so ask for higher prices.
Prices you might find online that are higher than normal are from Scalpers, the RPF does its best to stop scalpers.
No one has a crystal ball, so no one can exactly predict how long this situation will last, but most guess that it will be the second half of 2023.

P.S. I have notified the other moderators of your post.

kwonminkyung

Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:42 pm

Thank you Mahjong..

sorry. my korean be translated to English by Google translate.

But the point here is not the kit component.

The point here is that they are out of stock at low prices on the Eleparts owned website. On the one hand, Eleparts themselves sell high prices in marketplaces like Korean Amazon. That means they don't let customer come to their site and buy at a lower price, and force customer buy from "somewhere else" at a higher price. Is this something resellers can do?

I understand they want more money by making kit. But what makes me upset is they make us pay extra US$20.
Eleparts use their own Eleparts account in this marketplace (Naver StoreFarm) although they have their own official website.

Stock not shown at Lower price in Eleparts web
Stock show at USD 20++ in Korean amazon
Purposefully force customer to pay extra US$ 20

Is this what Official reseller can do? :x :x not sure

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:16 am

amazon is not an official reseller, it is the place where scalpers try to sell stuff for a much higher price than from normal official sellers. So do not buy there as you will keep scalpers in business, and it will take longer for the problem to resolve. As scalpers too need to buy their stuff from an official seller. These sellers are asked not to sell to scalpers but some still manage to buy them.

official sellers have the right, next to selling PI's for the official price, to sell kits with other stuff a normal buyer would probably also need to buy, say a case, or a power supply, and an SD-Card.and obviously they charge extra for this stuff, that is totally normal. at the same time they ALSO have the obligation to sell PI's loose for the official price. But because at the moment the demand is much greater than what the RPF can make through to the non availability of chips and other parts, there are many potential buyers for each part that they can sell. Its unfortunately but not the RPF's fault. It is caused by the automobile manufacturers who didn't buy chips when they were available, then suddenly demanded many, while the chip manufacturers were unable to make them, in combination with corona. there is a lot you can find about this crisis online.

I asked other moderators to comment, but apparently they have nothing to add. Not that they have any influence to do something.
Perhaps you can contact the RPF directly by e-mailing info@raspberrypi.org to complain that than official reseller refuses to sell them loose for the normal price, if that is true they can lose they official reseller status.

But sorry moderators have no power to change this.

twilightened

Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:08 pm

I seriously started to think that whatever has started with Covid will just never end. It actually started before covid. "Trade wars" was before that. It feels like it will only get worse from here. I am not particularly talking about RPI availability. But inflation and a global financial fallout. China seems like they have decided not to be the factory of the world anymore. No more cheap labor (may be that is a good thing). And i think USA has woken up the fact that buying everything from them is not a very good idea. There is a paradigm shift going on. That of course means higher manufacturing costs are in the picture. The good old days are way behind now. Everything will progressively get more and more expensive. PI included.

ejolson

Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:04 pm

:evil:
kwonminkyung wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:42 pm
Thank you Mahjong..

sorry. my korean be translated to English by Google translate.

But the point here is not the kit component.

The point here is that they are out of stock at low prices on the Eleparts owned website. On the one hand, Eleparts themselves sell high prices in marketplaces like Korean Amazon. That means they don't let customer come to their site and buy at a lower price, and force customer buy from "somewhere else" at a higher price. Is this something resellers can do?

I understand they want more money by making kit. But what makes me upset is they make us pay extra US$20.
Eleparts use their own Eleparts account in this marketplace (Naver StoreFarm) although they have their own official website.

Stock not shown at Lower price in Eleparts web
Stock show at USD 20++ in Korean amazon
Purposefully force customer to pay extra US$ 20

Is this what Official reseller can do? :x :x not sure
Difficult as it seems, I'd suggest your school try a Korean-manufactured SBC such as the Odroid-C4. Not only is this device available, similar in size to the Pi 4B, but half the vendor forum is in the Korean language.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:46 pm

twilightened wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:08 pm
I seriously started to think that whatever has started with Covid will just never end. It actually started before covid. "Trade wars" was before that. It feels like it will only get worse from here. I am not particularly talking about RPI availability. But inflation and a global financial fallout. China seems like they have decided not to be the factory of the world anymore. No more cheap labor (may be that is a good thing). And i think USA has woken up the fact that buying everything from them is not a very good idea. There is a paradigm shift going on. That of course means higher manufacturing costs are in the picture. The good old days are way behind now. Everything will progressively get more and more expensive. PI included.
nonsense!

china doesn't have chip fabs, (of the category we are talking about here) so "not being the factory of the world" (even if its true) has no influence.
The chip fabs I mean are in Taiwan, and the USA.
please don't listen to conspiracy spreaders!

the chip crisis will end, and the RPF will be able to provide the number of products the market demands, once again.

Return to “General discussion”