frickaline

Any alternative to NFS with network boot or some other way to easily swap images??

Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:03 pm

I'm basically looking for a way to easily swap out the image I'm running on a group of raspis. I need the swapping to require no physical interaction with the hardware. At the same time, I would like a solution that isn't so networking intensive as network booting with NFS mounts.

Are there any other solutions to this problem?

ejolson

Re: Any alternative to NFS with network boot or some other way to easily swap images??

Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:57 pm

frickaline wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:03 pm
I'm basically looking for a way to easily swap out the image I'm running on a group of raspis. I need the swapping to require no physical interaction with the hardware. At the same time, I would like a solution that isn't so networking intensive as network booting with NFS mounts.

Are there any other solutions to this problem?
In my experience network booting with root on an iSCSI network block device is less network intensive than NFS.

For an SD card only solution try an approach similar to PINN or Noobs. At power up the Pi boots by default from partition 1. After that execute "reboot n" where n > 1 is the boot partition for the image you want to run.

Note, due to a hardware constraint, the SD card approach doesn't work for early Pi 4B computers unless the built-in card reader speed is limited to HS 25MB/s mode.

A description concerning both the iSCSI and SD card methods is available at

viewtopic.php?t=274553

frickaline

Re: Any alternative to NFS with network boot or some other way to easily swap images??

Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:44 pm

Thank you. I'll see if I can figure this out.

Return to “Advanced users”