William Stevenson

Pimoroni Pirate Radio

Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:02 pm

This has been 'end of lifed' and there aren't any recent topics. I have a rather childlike family member who has become very attached to this device which no longer works, so I would like to provide some comfort for her. I have managed to resolve previous problems over changing BBC URLs etc, but the radio recently failed, and the backup micro SD doesn't work either. I have laboriously tried everything to rebuild, including going back to Stretch and Buster Lite from the archives. I even tried the Github suggested (Github pHatBeat and vlcradio page) setup script to fix vlc radio for Bullseye- I knew that wouldn't work, and it didn't.

My last ditch idea is Buster 13.2.20 Lite without updating and I entered the standard curl https://get.pimoroni.com/vlcradio | bash. This has previously executed on a fully updated Buster Lite, which all took a long time on a Zero W, but the end result radio didn't work.

This time, the curl script ended promptly with "E: Repository 'http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease' changed its 'Suite' value from 'stable' to 'oldoldstable' "
E: Repository 'http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease' changed its 'Suite' value from 'testing' to 'oldoldstable'
Apt failed to update indexes

Is there any switch to allow this curl to proceed? This is the only thing I can think of now, in the absence of a micro SD to copy. I think the radio hardware/ HAT are OK physically. It's very likely to be software problem. I realise there aren't likely to be many of these working now, but I think many people here will know how to circumvent the old repo problems- it probably still won't work but it's worth a try

rpdom

Re: Pimoroni Pirate Radio

Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:58 pm

Try this. sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/pirate.conf
Put this in the file

Code: Select all

Acquire::AllowReleaseInfoChange
Save the file. Then try curl instruction again.
Unreadable squiggle

William Stevenson

Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:31 am

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight

William Stevenson

Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:05 pm

Sadly, no success. The named file /etc... was empty, and I added the required line. Result was:

Updating apt indexes
...E: syntax error /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/pirate.conf:2: Extra junk at end of file
Apt failed to update indexes!
pi@raspberrypi :~ $..................

I thought that last line might mean it was doing something, but it wasn't.
I have done it all twice, checking every character!

Any more ideas, anyone? Anyone with a working radio, so I could send a microSD to copy?

rpdom

Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:33 pm

My apologies, I didn't paste the correct file contents.

It should be this:

Code: Select all

Acquire::AllowReleaseInfoChange "True";
Unreadable squiggle

William Stevenson

Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:38 pm

So I went back yet again to another late Buster Lite image, but a slightly earlier one. Fully updated on the Zero W. The curl https://get.pimoroni.com... procedure went through as it had done previously. Radio not working, of course.

William Stevenson

Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:39 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a go now!

rpdom

Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:55 pm

If that doesn't work, there's another method that should work. Do a manual "sudo apt update" and when it asks, you confirm the change. Then you should be able to run your install.
Unreadable squiggle

William Stevenson

Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:34 pm

Yes, the curl instruction worked after your instructions- No, the radio doesn't work

All the installations went well, with only 3 lines where it said 'unary operator expected'
There were a load of error messages which I think were solely concerned with the Pivumeter LED display.
It asked to reboot at the end, and started with some audio file playing,
(this also happened with some of my previous attempts) but none of the pHatbeat controls were working. A few very bright non-moving LEDs lit up.
I suppose I can't exclude hardware failure of the pHatBeat, although it seems unlikely. PiZero appears to be fully functional

William Stevenson

Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:37 pm

I now see your update comment, thanks. This is, of course, what happened when i ran the fully updated Buster images - the update took aeons, and the curl instruction was accepted and ran, as far as I can remember, just as it ran just now

itsmedoofer

Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:27 pm

Are you all working now? I have a working Mopidy setup I can share with you, I've even compiled the Spotify client... I used the legacy image if I remember correctly.

William Stevenson

Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks for the offer. I'm assuming that Mopidy/ Spotify is for music tracks/ playlists. I'm interested in the radio for the aged relative, and I haven't been able to get it working. Anybody with a working internet radio setup?

gordon77

Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:48 pm

I just use my python mp3 player and Internet radio player, but they need to be .mp3 streams.

I use a Pi3B.

https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-MP3_Player

Or https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi_OLED-MP3-Player for which l use a pi0 2w and usb audio adapter

ame

Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:15 pm

So according to the web page:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pira ... 8476372426

This is a Pi Zero W with some well-known hardware modules and a nice case. Presumably you have chosen the "internet radio" option of the three suggested projects.

Just curious, what when you say it no longer works, what do you mean exactly? Is it completely dead hardware? The LEDs don't work? No audio? Internet radio sources no longer accessible? From your description it sounds like the hardware is fine, but VLC no longer runs on the Pi Zero W, but what caused it to fail in the first instance?

Getting it going again could be tricky, but doing all the steps by hand would probably be better than trying to get pimoroni's script to run. I'd suggest installing the latest 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS on a new SD card and installing VLC. If that works then try playing a few internet streams. If it doesn't work, fix that first and ignore everything else.

Then go back and look at Pimoroni's installation script and do all the steps by hand, after first checking if there are any changes that you need to make. The script worked in the past, but things change over time. If the product is end-of-life then no-one is going to go back and update the scripts for current packages.
Oh no, not again.

itsmedoofer

Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:14 am

William Stevenson wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:38 pm
Thanks for the offer. I'm assuming that Mopidy/ Spotify is for music tracks/ playlists. I'm interested in the radio for the aged relative, and I haven't been able to get it working. Anybody with a working internet radio setup?
Mopidy has all kinds of plugins not sure what radio you are after but there may well be a plugin for it, for example I have the SomaFM one...

bensimmo

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:04 am

Take a step back.
Have you tried their premade image from 2018.
That will still run and work as it did back then.

Try then, see if the VU, DAC etc work and test your hardware out.
That is under the first link they send you to.
https://github.com/pimoroni/phat-beat/t ... /vlc-radio

Also look at the issues (new and closed)
https://github.com/pimoroni/phat-beat/i ... is%3Aissue

Wiringpi on newer OSs being one.
VLC problems too.
There seems to be some other ideas you can try.

gordon77

Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Have you determined what's failed ? Pi0 or phat beat ?

William Stevenson

Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions above, but nothing worked. All the .zip old images don't exist any more- pages are dead. I tried the old scripts on the archived old OS images. Nothing worked. Obviously, it just needs a copy of a working SD card, but nobody seems to have a working system as the aged relative used to have and was familiar with. I don't think it's a failure with the pHat- I suspect messing around corrupted the card-if I still had a working image I would now lockmit

ame

Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:05 pm

William Stevenson wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:24 pm
Thanks for the suggestions above, but nothing worked. All the .zip old images don't exist any more- pages are dead. I tried the old scripts on the archived old OS images. Nothing worked. Obviously, it just needs a copy of a working SD card, but nobody seems to have a working system as the aged relative used to have and was familiar with. I don't think it's a failure with the pHat- I suspect messing around corrupted the card-if I still had a working image I would now lockmit
Have you tried installing the latest 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS on a new SD card and installing VLC, as I suggested?
Oh no, not again.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”