kyC6u

wayvnc + tigervnc client doesn't resize desktop to client window size?

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:18 pm

I'm running Bookworm and have enabled VNC (which I think uses wayvnc).

From my client machine, I've installed and can connect to the pi using TigerVNC viewer. The pi desktop is shown at it's native resolution (1920x1080). If I resize the TigerVNC window, it doesn't shrink the entire pi desktop; it just adds scrollbars to the window. I have tried with "Resize remote session to the current window" option both on and off, and also the "Resize remote window on connect" on and off. They do nothing, and I still have the same huge screen with scrollbars.

What I've had with previous VNC clients and what I'd like to have happen here is that when I resize the client window, that the entire Pi desktop shrinks to fit the size of the VNC client window.

Any ideas?

terribleted

Re: wayvnc + tigervnc client doesn't resize desktop to client window size?

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:23 pm

no, i have been unable to resize the window.(tigervnc)
BUT: i have seen posts that say the newest RealVNC can be used..... but it's not the one in the repository (yet).
search the VNC posts... i seem to remember you have to get the viewer from the RealVNC site...

update: Yes, the new (7.8) version does indeed work with Bookworm under wayland.
i just downloaded and installed it. it works (at least it connects)
... now to check all the other stuff (file transfer, resize, etc)
Update2: still no file transfer...
The only people that don't make mistakes are people that don't do anything.

kyC6u

Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:47 am

Thanks. Before I download, I'm a bit confused.

Is it only for a 14 day trial and what features are not available? Hmmm, maybe the file transfer is one of those features ?

RonR

Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:01 am

kyC6u wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:47 am
Is it only for a 14 day trial?

Despite what it appears to say, you don't need to sign up and there is no trial period for the VNC Viewer.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:02 am

kyC6u wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:18 pm
I'm running Bookworm and have enabled VNC (which I think uses wayvnc).

From my client machine, I've installed and can connect to the pi using TigerVNC viewer. The pi desktop is shown at it's native resolution (1920x1080). If I resize the TigerVNC window, it doesn't shrink the entire pi desktop; it just adds scrollbars to the window. I have tried with "Resize remote session to the current window" option both on and off, and also the "Resize remote window on connect" on and off. They do nothing, and I still have the same huge screen with scrollbars.

What I've had with previous VNC clients and what I'd like to have happen here is that when I resize the client window, that the entire Pi desktop shrinks to fit the size of the VNC client window.

Any ideas?
is your viewer on OS x (Apple Mac)? Seeing the same there.

Other people claim that Windows does not has said issue but I don't have a windows machine to test with.

any1

Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:00 pm

TigerVNC doesn't have aspect fit scaling like the RealVNC viewer. If I remember correctly, remmina can do this too.

However, TigerVNC does support an extension that allows the client to control the server's output size. This is not implemented in wayvnc 0.7, but it was very recently been implemented on git master: https://github.com/any1/wayvnc/commit/6 ... 3409be2e58.

It only works for a headless setup though, since monitors are rather picky about which resolutions they support. Also, when I tested it with wayfire, it didn't really do anything, but it does work with sway.

kyC6u

Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:11 pm

Thanks to all for your replies.
is your viewer on OS x (Apple Mac)? Seeing the same there.
No, my client is on Linux (Ubuntu 23.10).
However, TigerVNC does support an extension that allows the client to control the server's output size. This is not implemented in wayvnc 0.7, but it was very recently been implemented on git master: https://github.com/any1/wayvnc/commit/6 ... 3409be2e58.

It only works for a headless setup though, since monitors are rather picky about which resolutions they support. Also, when I tested it with wayfire, it didn't really do anything, but it does work with sway.
Mmmm. I don't really want to change the server's (pi) resolution, just scale the output on the client. If "Resize remote session to the local window" means it's trying to change the server's resolution, I've misunderstood that altogether, or screwed up my terminology. Tried searching for a manual and in the TigerVNC wiki but couldn't find anything ....

If I remember correctly, remmina can do this too.
Yes, remmina does this scaling (actually allows you to switch between scaling and not) and is what I used previously via X11 on Bullseye. I'd prefer to use it, but I couldn't get it to connect. (Unknown authentication scheme), and I couldn't find any information about whether remmina, Bookworm, wayland and/or wayvnc would work, or how to connect it. I know I could go to X11, but wanted to give wayland a proper try first. I gave up on Remmina as there was already a solution (TigerVNC), but found it was missing the above, so it looks like it's time to jump over to RealVNC.

Really appreciate the info you guys gave me. I try desperately to search for the info, but it's nearly always a fail because the answers/instructions don't say what versions of the software it's applicable to, or they're from 5 years ago...

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”