nickzimm

apt update always?

Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:08 pm

Sorry, quite new here. I was following install instructions for gpiozero (pi4+ python3).
They said 1st type sudo apt update
reply is 38 packages can be updated.
Do you always update? I thought this was done automatically?
when i built my usb ssd it did a bunch of updates

Thanks! fun so far but u guys have been working on this thing since i last saw it in 2010 or so

DS256

Re: apt update always?

Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:08 am

Welcome. It's fun to PI
It is good practice but best to do it on your own to avoid surprises.
The standard steps are

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
You will see these steps referenced when you are installing any new package.
You can find out more details here https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... rs/os.html

kerry_s

Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:34 am

nickzimm wrote:
Sorry, quite new here. I was following install instructions for gpiozero (pi4+ python3).
reply is 38 packages can be updated.
when i built my usb ssd it did a bunch of updates

Thanks! fun so far but u guys have been working on this thing since i last saw it in 2010 or so

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade

ame

Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:54 am

nickzimm wrote:
You update when you choose to update, unlike certain operating systems that update when they choose (usually at the most inopportune time).

You can set things up to update automatically, but unless there's a reason to update you don't really have to. Very occasionally an update introduces a problem, in which case you don't want to be first. Take note of what updates are available, and why an update is necessary, and let several thousand other people test it before you apply it.
Oh no, not again.

BigRedMailbox

Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:44 am

Two comments:

1) Yes, the Linux way is better. Compared to "that other OS", it is like driving a manual transmission car vs. an automatic. For the general public, the automatic will be easier, but for the afficionados like us, the manual is more fun.

2) You need to distinguish between "update" and "upgrade", even though the two words sound very similar. "update" is a non-destructive operation and can be done anytime and is often a good idea even if you aren't going to "upgrade". "upgrade" is the biggie that can often take a lot of time and will (usually) require a reboot, so you need to be prepared and ready to invest time and effort into it when you do it.
My posts may be "controversial" and/or out-of-sync with the party line.

Nothing I write should in any way be taken as an official statement by any organization connected with (any branch of) RPi and/or any of its funding sources.

rpdom

Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:49 am

apt update will fetch the latest package indexes to make sure yours are up to date.

apt upgrade installs the new software.

It is always worth doing an update before an upgrade to make sure you are getting the latest versions.
Sometimes old versions will not be retained and you could find yourself trying to download a version that no longer exists.
Unreadable squiggle

davidcoton

Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:27 am

DS256 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:08 am
The standard steps are

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
FTFY.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

B.Goode

Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:36 am

nickzimm wrote:
I was following install instructions for gpiozero (pi4+ python3).

Ref: https://gpiozero.readthedocs.io/en/late ... -gpio-zero

Actually, the first thing they said was:
GPIO Zero is installed by default in the Raspberry Pi OS desktop image, Raspberry Pi OS Lite image, and the Raspberry Pi Desktop image for PC/Mac

So what is the other Operating System that you are running that requires you to install gpiozero yourself?

{Edit: added later... }
In respect of the general issue of how you maintain your RasPiOS installation, Raspberry Pi have documentation that seems to cover it -
Ref: https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... erry-pi-os
Last edited by B.Goode on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Leopard

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 am

nickzimm wrote:
You can install https://packages.debian.org/unattended-upgrades and it will automatically upgrade your system on a schedule you define.

But, I won't use that as I like to be completely in control of everything that gets installed, so that if things go wrong I know what was done just before the failure. I like the feeling that I'm in control and I know when things are likely to break. I run an update about once a month.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

BigRedMailbox

Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:56 am

I like the feeling that I'm in control and I know when things are likely to break. I run an update about once a month.
Yes, very much as I said. That some people prefer driving manual shift cars, because they feel more in control. I agree with this sentiment.

BTW, from what I've read on a certain site, manual cars are much more common in Europe (and, especially, the UK) than they are in the US. I suppose that says something about the US mentality vs. European.
My posts may be "controversial" and/or out-of-sync with the party line.

Nothing I write should in any way be taken as an official statement by any organization connected with (any branch of) RPi and/or any of its funding sources.

nickzimm

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:43 pm

Thanks for the informative replies. I was confused as the initial startup gave me "autoupdate" help in the taskbar.
There is a lot of ton of sources and a lots of material to cover. I like forums. This one seems pretty good. A lot of forums have guys who lurk the newbie posts and instantly flame. "That's been answered 2 yrs ago, you didn't search very hard" or "your waisting our time". I figure, if you've got time to flame a stranger, than your time is not really very expensive. Thanks again, Great day to all!

DS256

Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:53 pm

A lot of forums have guys who lurk the newbie posts and instantly flame.
Sorry you had the same experiences I had. Sometimes the forum admins are not on top of abuse. Hang in there. Most are helpful.

One note is to research before posting. In some cases this means learning to find the correct keywords in the search since you are in a new environment. All will come in time

Return to “Beginners”