projjwaldhar

Buying a used Pi4 online. How to run diagnostics.

Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:35 am

How to run diagnostics to check if all the board components are functional.
Any terminal command (or a tutorial pointing to the same) would be really helpful. Need to run a full diagnostics test on the board components.

B.Goode

Re: Buying a used Pi4 online. How to run diagnostics.

Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:22 am

projjwaldhar wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:35 am
How to run diagnostics to check if all the board components are functional.
Any terminal command (or a tutorial pointing to the same) would be really helpful. Need to run a full diagnostics test on the board components.

I spend quite a while reading these forums and I don't think I have ever seen such tool discussed. I suspect that would only exist in the factories where RPi boards are produced.

The only built-in test that you might expect a seller to run for you is the RPi4 Diagnostic screen. https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... berry-pi-4

That is a test of the basic functionality of the board - will it power on and generate a display. A long way short of "check if all the board components are functional."

Presumably you are aware that an RPi4B board is pretty much a paperweight until it has been booted with an Operating System? That would be prerequisite for being able to run "Any terminal command... to run a full diagnostics test"

That might be more than a seller is prepared to do, especially if they are - or claim to be - unaware of the condition of what they are selling.

I suggest you either negotiate a 'money back if not fully satisfied' deal, or a price that reflects the unknown state of the board. Or walk away and find the $55 usd for a new device from an approved reseller.
Beware of the Leopard

Return to “Advanced users”