sciban

access via browser not working Home network

Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:35 am

Hi everyone hope u all have a nice day so far and that i wont be ruining it with my stupid question.
Here goes
Just got my RPi5 8gb yesterday, never had one before,, and after a slew of issues (new sd card bought the day before was a bad one lost the entire day before i exchanged it for another etc etc) i installed the recommended version pi OS 64 bit, but
I cant access it over the browser, neither using local host name or the ip address. the pi itself is connected to my amplifi hotspot wich is connected to my router. I tried connecting it directly to the router and wifi and then go to all the combinations i could think of for every connection but it allways the same.
I can ping the Pi from cmd (win 10) i can connect via ssh both with the ip and with local host name, but not over the browser.
I tried everything i could think of but to no avail. I tried different devices and browsers but always the same. I don't have micro hdmi cable and it will take about 2 weeks for it to arrive, but its not a solution that works for me because the Pi is meant to be headless for most of the time.
I hope you have an answer for me and also sorry but i have very little knowledge when it comes to linux, I am basically ignorant when it comes to this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you all
Have a nice one
Nenad Šćiban

neilgl

Re: access via browser not working Home network

Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:30 pm

Normally on Win 10 we connect via SSH to the pi5 and enable the VNC interface using "sudo raspi-config"
Then we install TigerVNC on the Win 10 PC and use it to connect to the ip address of the pi5 (which is "headless").

thagrol

Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 pm

What, exactly, do you mean by browser?

If you mean web browser, what you're seeing is what I'd expect you to see - there is nothing running on the Pi for you to connect to.

For more detailed help you'll need to provide more detailed information.
Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay for them.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

sciban

Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:45 pm

Thank you for your swift reply to my post. I really appreciate it. I would like to use my pi without a vnc server or viewer but directly in the browser. I have used vnc for my job, i am a sound designer and do most of my work as a production sound mixer and am using a cantar x3 recorder I used vnc to have it display the cantar screen on a external monitor but nothing more than that. At this point i am really bothered by not knowing what the problem is. Is there an issue that i am not aware of when using a browser to connect to the pi?
Again I am grateful for your answer but i would rather not use vnc. Any thoughts?

sciban

Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:56 pm

thagrol wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 pm
What, exactly, do you mean by browser?

If you mean web browser, what you're seeing is what I'd expect you to see - there is nothing running on the Pi for you to connect to.

For more detailed help you'll need to provide more detailed information.
sorry for not being more specific, as i said never used i pi before, i have a qnap server and that is about it.
Yes I mean a web browser and to be more specific web browser on my laptop.
The pi is running Ubuntu 64 bit the desktop version so incorrect on not running anything on the pi.
just like i would do it on my qnap server or whatever vm etc. in the videos that i saw when they were demonstrating just entered the ip (all of this is for lan only don't want remote access) and went directly to the welcome/log in screen of the pi

thagrol

Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:07 pm

I'm not familiar with either Ubuntu on Pi or qnap servers.

It sounds to me that you're expecting a Pi running just the installed OS to provide the same web interface that a NAS appliance would. That won't happen without additional software being installed and configured.

A Pi running an OS like Ubuntu is not a NAS appliance and will noit behave like one. It's a general purpose computer.

I've seen owncloud, nextcloud, OMV, and orhers mentioned on these forums.

It would help us help you if you told us what your actual goal is (beyond browser access) and what you intend to use the Pi for. NAS like access through a browser won't allow you to do general computing task on the Pi.
Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay for them.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.

sciban

Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:57 pm

Sorry about the confusion on my part, but I led with I have no experience and knowledge when it comes to pi and Linux just the bare essentials just enough to follow some tutorials. Again i apologize. My main goal is to learn that is why i got it. I did connect to it by using vnc, wich i really would like to avoid. For the purpose of this tread my main goal is to type in malina.local in the address bar of my brave browser (or any other browser) and "land" on the pi´s login page. Could be that i am totally wrong but i don't think so, but cant find the video in my history or remember when it was that i saw that particular video, been watching a lot of them the past few weeks while i was waiting for the pi to arrive. do I need to define it (host name) in my router? Another thing a forgot to mention that the browser msg is after the failed connection malina.local refused to connect. I have no idea. Probably something stupid on my part.
Again I am sorry if my lack of knowledge is frustrating you, not my intention at all, and I understand that because I might be asking for help in laymen's terms and maybe not being able to articulate properly what i am trying to ask because i lack the knowledge be aware that none of it is with any malice, its just that i am at the beginning of this pi journey and i really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to try and help me. for now i think ill just start another plex server on my Pi along the other ones that i got and play around. Thank you very much

thagrol

Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:08 pm

No malice was read into youur posts.

So, what you'd like to achieve is full access to your Pi and its desktop via your web browser. Unfortunately that's not how things work.

Some VNC servers used to support running a client in a browser but you're still using VNC.

neilgl

Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:25 pm

Not sure we are talking about the same thing, but some apps (plex, kodi, kismet, pgadmin, Wordpress etc.) install on the pi and present a web page you can log into. So maybe it is like that?

sciban

Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:53 am

No. Thank you.
I know that, i have been using plex for quite some time now just not on the pi.
I saw a video, but now i cant find it anymore. It was from a tuber named network chuck i think and in that video he did something with the dns registry and just typed the host name in the web browser and landed on the login page.
Now wehter he landed on the login page of a server he was running on the pi i don't know, cant find it anymore, probably he did and I misunderstood. But that would be really cool and practical. It just my preference i don't like using vnc.
Anyway thank you for your replay. if anything changes i will be sure to post it here.
Again thank you.

tpyo kingg

Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:35 am

sciban wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:53 am
... i think and in that video he did something with the dns registry and just typed the host name in the web browser and landed on the login page.
A lot more would be needed on the Raspberry Pi system for that level of access to be possible over the browser alone.

For what it's worth, although shell access via SSH is not necessarily to everybody's taste it is by far the most powerful and flexible, so I would encourage trying small things via SSH from time to time to build up some comfort.

Perhaps it was something like PHPMyAdmin? https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

If you could give more description about the type of access over the browser, especially the names of any particular packages used, then that would be of tremendous help.

sciban

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:36 pm

Thank you for your reply.
As I said at the beginning of this thread I lack the knowledge and that is why I bought the pi to start tinkering and learn.
I have some experience with some nas devices primarily QNAP, on it I messed around some with VMs various servers and docker, aswell as things for my work, and they work like that straight out of the box so I kind of hoped to have the same setup. I just thought that it might be possible to do it like that, i guess it wishful thinking on my part. And to tell you the truth i feel kind of guilty and embarrassed for wasting all of your time asking questions that i cant even properly articulate. Sorry
My point being for now i will leave this on ice and concentrate on learning the pi from the "ground up". If I find the video in question again I will post the link here but i haven't been able to find it in the past 3 days so...
Anyway thank you for engaging with this thread and wanting to help a noob. :) I really appreciate it

neilgl

Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:22 pm

Good luck

bjtheone

Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:44 pm

If you want to connect to you Pi via a web browser you need to get the corresponding web server up and running on the Pi. You certainly can do various things using this interaction paradigm but its up to you to setup the appropriate server and processes on the Pi. When you boot the default RPiOS on the Pi you get a general purpose computer running Linux.

This is also true if you substituted the Pi running Linux, for an x86 box running Linux, or even a x86 box running Windows. The "normal" install gets you a computer running a general purpose OS, that you typically interact with directly. You could build a "server" that as the name implies serves something, but again it is up to you to install/configure the services you wish to serve.

There are lots of applications and even OS images configured for certain tasks, like OpenMediaVault that let you basically install a system tailored to a specific task.

I suggest that you do a bit more research on what you want to accomplish and then come back and ask more questions. No worries about asking the questions, you just need to be able to better define what is is you are trying to do, for people to provide more detailed/useful answers.

Return to “Beginners”