twilightened

Installation of other desktop environments to RPIOS

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:09 pm

Hi. Is there a source that i can refer to about installing various Linux desktop environments to RPIOS. I have tried to install KDE plasma to a "non-desktop" version of the latest PIOS, but even when it was fully installed, it did not fully boot, so i definitely need a full tutorial for such a job. Or at least some help from the forum veterans who previously did this. I want to try KDE plasma, XFCE, Cinnamon and Mate. Are any of these possible on a RPIOS? I "specificly" want to have a RPIOS base, i know that Manjaro has a KDE version, don't want to go that way.

mrlinux2u

Re: Installation of other desktop environments to RPIOS

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:21 pm

I think this post should help point you in the right direction :

viewtopic.php?p=2160844&hilit=gnome+ins ... m#p2160844

Also, there's tasksel (sudo tasksel) which allows you to pick various desktop environments (among other things), this would more than likely work if you use the Lite (non desktop) version of RPiOS as your base.

Hope this helps you (at least a little) in your quest.
Attachments
tasksel.png
tasksel.png (32.37 KiB) Viewed 4823 times

kerry_s

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:30 pm

first thing you do is run

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
set the locales
reboot

then you can update

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
then select what you want to install

sudo tasksel
last step is to enable gui boot

sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
reboot
Last edited by kerry_s on Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterO

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:31 pm

mrlinux2u wrote:
Those instructions do not install any of the DEs mentioned by the OP, so are probably not very appropriate.
They are specifically for installing the master version of Wayfire from github (though a minimal gnome setup is installed as an intermediate step).
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PICO,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

redvli

Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:41 pm

kerry_s wrote:

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
This selects non-GUI, you need:

Adhoc switch to GUI
sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target

But when you select the desired desktop(s) in tasksel, it should have been done automatically.

kerry_s

Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:13 pm

redvli wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:41 pm
kerry_s wrote:

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
This selects non-GUI, you need:

Adhoc switch to GUI
sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target

But when you select the desired desktop(s) in tasksel, it should have been done automatically.
:lol:
corrected
good old brain fart. the hands just type away ....

twilightened

Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:53 pm

mrlinux2u wrote:

Also, there's tasksel (sudo tasksel) which allows you to pick various desktop environments (among other things), this would more than likely work if you use the Lite (non desktop) version of RPiOS as your base.

That seems quite the easiest thing to do. Thanks for the information. I will try this and share the results. My main goal is try to avoid Wayland as much as possible. I literally hate it on RPIOS.

itsmedoofer

Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:31 pm

twilightened wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:09 pm
Hi. Is there a source that i can refer to about installing various Linux desktop environments to RPIOS. I have tried to install KDE plasma to a "non-desktop" version of the latest PIOS, but even when it was fully installed, it did not fully boot, so i definitely need a full tutorial for such a job. Or at least some help from the forum veterans who previously did this. I want to try KDE plasma, XFCE, Cinnamon and Mate. Are any of these possible on a RPIOS? I "specificly" want to have a RPIOS base, i know that Manjaro has a KDE version, don't want to go that way.
I've tried both KDE Plasma & Cinnamon on Bookworm & the Pi5, not wanting to be too pessimistic but neither were really good enough for daily use IMO.

KDE has outstanding regressions when running on Wayland, these are well documented, there are also some ARM related issues as well that make the experience sub optimal.

Cinnamon on X works but there are all kinds of gfx glitches mainly around the cursor , blinking flashing generally not looking nice, not sure how much hardware acceleration it gets either.

On both of these I have totally failed to get 3D acceleration working in SDL2 based games, I have a post asking for help but nothing.

When installing, I found the desktop image was probably the best to go for, it needed less titillation to get something working, if you start form the light image the chances are the boot process will appear to stop and not boot to desktop, there was a post on here about it somewhere...

viewtopic.php?t=358853

The above suggests installing gldriver-test

sudo apt install gldriver-test
This worked but as I said I think on balance the desktop image is probably a better starting point.

I was using tasksel to install the DEs

PeterO has an install script, that looks good, I've not tried this but I'm not sure it would to much to fix either the Plasma or the Cinnamon issues noted above.

Cinnamon on Bullseye running on a Pi4 was brilliant that was a daily driver for me, took some steps backward with the Pi5 and Bookworm though IMO, so much so I've brought a little Dell Micro box to run Mint in its place.

The latest Ubuntu image for the Pi5 looks nice and seems to run well with for what its worth.

itsmedoofer

Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:43 pm

twilightened wrote:
That seems quite the easiest thing to do. Thanks for the information. I will try this and share the results. My main goal is try to avoid Wayland as much as possible. I literally hate it on RPIOS.
With you 100% as soon as the Pi4 came along Cinnamon went on and I never looked back.

These are my notes I made when installing Cinnamon on Bookworm and the Pi5, they are rough, just meant to jog my memory.

Using raspi-config, set the display type to X11 from Wayland

sudo tasksel

Select Cinnamon desktop and wait until it has finished.

If using the light image;

sudo apt install gldriver-test    <https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=358853

If using the full image;

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Under Seat:* Edit the following

greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
#greeter-hide-users=false

Also remove and pi crud from this file.

Reboot

sudo apt remove lxde* pipanel lxpanel* openbox* obconf lxmenu-data lxterminal lxtask lxsession* lxappearance lxappearance-obconf lxinput lxpanel-data lxrandr mate-polkit --purge

sudo rm -rf directory /usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides
sudo apt autoremove

bjtheone

Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:58 pm

twilightened wrote:
mrlinux2u wrote:

Using tasksel to install MATE, on top of a full desktop install worked flawlessly. Switched the greeter to lightdm-gtk-gretter, and could select what DE I wanted at login. The advantage of adding on top of the default Wayland/Wayfire, is it is easy to flip back if you want to test something. The advantage of building on top of Lite is you get a cleaner install.

twilightened

Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:43 pm

Haven't had much success to auto-start a different desktop environment. Even when i select a different one via
sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
RPIOS still boots with its own desktop. I have also disabled auto-login, but still the same. I type in my credentials this time and RPIOS own desktop boots still.

What am i doing wrong?

kerry_s

Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:53 pm

twilightened wrote:
Haven't had much success to auto-start a different desktop environment. Even when i select a different one via
RPIOS still boots with its own desktop. I have also disabled auto-login, but still the same. I type in my credentials this time and RPIOS own desktop boots still.

What am i doing wrong?
:lol:
if you haven't got it yet, you should probably stick with raspberry os.
get some practise in, learn your way around the system.

maybe try other distro's that you just write and boot. as long as you have a rpi4/400 with 4gb it shouldn't be a issue.
several distro's have rpi spins.
ubuntu
ubuntu mate
ubuntu budgie
armbian
manjaro
fedora

craigevil

Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:43 pm

twilightened wrote:

What am i doing wrong?
I had to delete /home/craig/.dmrc and create a new one with the desktop I wanted, in my case XFCE.

[Desktop]
Session=xfce
Looking at x-session-manager in rover it now shows:
the default as /usr/bin/xfce4-session
Raspberry PI 400 Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm Kernel: 6.6.18-v8+ DE: XFCE
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

itsmedoofer

Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:17 pm

twilightened wrote:

What am i doing wrong?
Have you done this ?

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Under Seat:* Edit the following

greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
#greeter-hide-users=false
You can then chose your environment at the log in screen, top right...

twilightened

Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:25 pm

Yep thanks for the help. I am trying out "MATE" right now. It seems pretty fluid actually. However, i made a mistake of installing KDE and MATE together so i have duplicate apps now and i don't really know which one belongs to mate or kde. So what i will do is i will uninstall one of them and try them one by one. I can not find the bluetooth settings in mate. Maybe i should install blueman. We'll see.

EDIT: I am trying out KDE Plasma and it is absolutely amazing. I don't know why this is not the default desktop for RPIOS. It is not lagging, it is pretty decent and let's be honest, visually, it is the best out there. I have tried Manjaro before (comes with KDE) and it was really slow. This is why i actually wanted to try RPIOS with KDE. Now there are some "clashes" i assume with apps that come with RPI's own desktop environment, so i will try KDE on a clean and non-desktop RPIOS.

twilightened

Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:27 pm

I am trying out KDE Plasma on a lite RPIOS right now. Plasma on Wayland caused occasional crashes after some use. So i switched to Plasma on X. Other than the crash situation, it was actually a quite smooth experience and i should say the whole desktop experience was actually better and smoother than the RPIOS default desktop. Mouse cursor bug still persisted. Now that i am on X, mouse cursor is the same size over anything and there has been no crashes yet (knock on wood). I mean i don't have to tell you how streamlined and how cool KDE is. I do not really sense any kind of "lag" or performance issue when i compare it to the default desktop. As you know KDE comes with its own apps and it even installs some extra useful stuff that i had to install myself using the default install of RPIOS. So far i am enjoying this. I will be testing more and share my experience in Bookworm thread. People really need to see this. It is great.

rjw000

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:01 pm

Installing XFCE4 on top of Raspberry Pi OS lite works well on the Pi5. XFCE4 is not specifically developed for Pi so is not as polished and not for new Linux users, but it does seem faster and is a more complete desktop. Good to experience as an alternative but not necessarily more useful. This is a good guide:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... berry.html
After installation, use "sudo raspi-config" in the terminal to set up booting to graphical display (under System systems).

mgrouch

Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:10 am

I use budgie desktop.
I make my own distribution with it for pi with bookworm (pi5/pi4, etc) which works well with a touchscreen
two finger zoom, long touch, on screen keyboard,
three finger scroll etc.

The way budgie is installed one can figure out from the source code.
There are ready to burn images for downloads too.

https://github.com/bareboat-necessities/lysmarine_gen

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”