kip_the_elder

Using a PI 400 as a main desktop for elderly parents.

Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 am

Has anyone done this?

My folks seem to be having increasing issues with using IT. A lot of it seems to be related to the fact that they inadvertently change things and then it doesn't work....or they forget things like passwords. They use the computer to talk to friends via email and are a bit cutoff without the computer.

I live a long way from them and can't just pop round to fix things like I used to. When I do get there, it's always something quite trivial. Yes....remote access works....until the cable company get them to reset their router. :roll:

They are completely at the mercy of the local experts...who recently sold them what is essentially a gaming machine when all they do is access the web and webmail. So I think that the key might be to reduce complexity.

I have a spare 400...I was thinking of setting it up with a very simple interface..Just the browser and making the SD card RO, so they can't change anything. So...if it stops working, a reboot should resolve it. Support would then consist of sending them a new SD card in the post.....

If anyone has done anything similar; I would be interested in your experiences, thoughts and suggestions.
Always be kind to beginner geeks. They will be the ones programming your ventilator. :)

kerry_s

Re: Using a PI 400 as a main desktop for elderly parents.

Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:07 am

you might want to go
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7 ... UTF8&psc=1

the sd card slot on the 400 is trash. they could move the keyboard and the sd will shoot out the back :lol:

other then that. probably want to disable that upgrade icon if your going to make it ro.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:15 am

kerry_s wrote:

the sd card slot on the 400 is trash. they could move the keyboard and the sd will shoot out the back :lol:
Rubbish. Never had an SD card pop out of a 400.

My aged parent has used a 400 since it was a prototype.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.
Meet me and the Pi team at Embedded World in Nürnberg, April 9th-11th, 2024
Hall 3A Stand 138
https://events.raspberrypi.com/official/24d5151d-dd0f-483d-88a7-a5fddaa5c554

kerry_s

Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:34 am

jamesh wrote:
kerry_s wrote:

just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it don't happen.
you most likely get the good stuff with nice quality control, while the average user gets the mass produced as fast as they can stuff.

maybe it's just my bad luck, i've only had 2 rpi400's to draw my conclusions from. which i've loaned out or traded.

currently only have a rpi4-4gb

kip_the_elder

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:40 am

jamesh wrote:
kerry_s wrote:

Cheers James.

That's useful feedback.

I've never had an issues with the cards either.
Always be kind to beginner geeks. They will be the ones programming your ventilator. :)

kip_the_elder

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:58 am

kerry_s wrote:
jamesh wrote:
kerry_s wrote:

you most likely get the good stuff with nice quality control, while the average user gets the mass produced as fast as they can stuff.

maybe it's just my bad luck, i've only had 2 rpi400's to draw my conclusions from. which i've loaned out or traded.

We have 2 at the moment, used daily. We've never had any issue with the card either. The only hardware issue that we've ever suffered was down to action of muppet...(AKA ME) when I poured milk all over it. I guess that was really more of a "wetware" issue...in more ways than one. :lol: The Pi itself was fine, but It stopped several keys working. I tried all the usual things to clean it. In the end. I bought a standard RPI keyboard and fitted that. A few keys are differently labelled... but otherwise it's fine.

From my own experience in the industry....albeit that was quite a while ago, the ones that staff get are not superior at all....if anything, quite the opposite...We quite often used to get dodgy prototypes....sometimes with components that looked like they'd been soldered on by a seagull..... :lol:

Thx anyway.

jamesh

Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:50 pm

kerry_s wrote:
jamesh wrote:
kerry_s wrote:

The converse is that just because you have seen it happen once, doesn't mean the connector is trash. It isn't. You've come to an erroneous conclusion from a limited (2 items) dataset.

As for quality control, what on earth makes you think I get "better" kit? Apart from prototypes, we get all our stuff through the standard manufacturing process. And in all cases that I can think of, late prototypes have exactly the same parts on as production versions anyway.

When we do board updates, we always replace with equivalent parts, as outlined in any PCN that are issued. However, we've never changed the Pi400 PCB BOM AFAIK.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.
Meet me and the Pi team at Embedded World in Nürnberg, April 9th-11th, 2024
Hall 3A Stand 138
https://events.raspberrypi.com/official/24d5151d-dd0f-483d-88a7-a5fddaa5c554

kerry_s

Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:16 pm

alight, i trust you. carry on. i'm not going to keep getting rpi400's to improve my data. i've had 2 in both cases the sd slot has failed, is third time the charm, who knows.
doesn't really matter to me, not my setup, i won't be using it. :lol:

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”