VioletGiraffe
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:35 am

All the Internet articles show that you can right-click the desktop and adjust display resolution from the context menu, but there's no such option in Bookworm. I can't find it anywhere in the GUI. Did they forget to implement it in the new OS release? IS there a 3rdparty application I can install with apt that allows for adjusting resolution?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 42848
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:39 am

Try using xrandr or wlr-randr. Start those from a command window.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

VioletGiraffe
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:01 am

Thank you, sir! Both work, wl-randr might be a tad simpler to figure out the first time (both have inconvenient command-line interface).
Would be nice to get a GUI for this eventually :)

UPDATE: this was my mistake all along, the normal "Display Configuration" menu item was missing because this was not a full Raspberry OS install, but a Lite version onto which I installed the desktop manually. Sorry for the confusion (I had no idea this is why some settings were missing, because otherwise I got a completely functional system out of doing this with nothing hinting at an incomplete install).
Last edited by VioletGiraffe on Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:04 am

If you are running Wayland+Wayfire (the default) this might help, but I've not tried it myself so YMMV ...

https://github.com/WayfireWM/wayfire/wi ... ion#output

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PICO,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:06 am

VioletGiraffe wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:01 am
Thank you, sir! Both work, wl-randr might be a tad simpler to figure out the first time (both have inconvenient command-line interface).
Would be nice to get a GUI for this eventually :)
There already is one (it's part of Wayfire Configuration Manager) that RPT don't ship :(
PeterO.
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PICO,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 7108
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:40 am

VioletGiraffe wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:35 am
All the Internet articles show that you can right-click the desktop and adjust display resolution from the context menu, but there's no such option in Bookworm. I can't find it anywhere in the GUI. Did they forget to implement it in the new OS release? IS there a 3rdparty application I can install with apt that allows for adjusting resolution?
menu -> preferences -> screen configuration

VioletGiraffe
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:00 am

kerry_s wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:40 am
menu -> preferences -> screen configuration
Have you actually tried it on the latest RPi OS?

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 7108
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:18 am

VioletGiraffe wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:00 am
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:40 am
menu -> preferences -> screen configuration
Have you actually tried it on the latest RPi OS?
yes and it works for wayfire

i don't really care for the cascading menus or wayfire.
my setup uses xfce4-appfinder & sway with the panel. my resolution is done in sway, so i have a script to change between the 2 i use.
Attachments
20231205_00h17m38s_grim.png
20231205_00h17m38s_grim.png (21.72 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
20231205_00h11m06s_grim.png
20231205_00h11m06s_grim.png (91.18 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
20231205_00h10m35s_grim.png
20231205_00h10m35s_grim.png (75.57 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

VioletGiraffe
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:37 am

kerry_s wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:18 am
yes and it works for wayfire

i don't really care for the cascading menus or wayfire.
my setup uses xfce4-appfinder & sway with the panel. my resolution is done in sway, so i have a script to change between the 2 i use.
That's interesting, the thing is, out of the box there is no such menu item. Is there a package I can install with apt to get the GUI for resolution setting? Without replacing the whole desktop or other desktop-related stuff?

I tried apt install sway and there is such a package, but I'm not sure whether it would make my OS too non-stock (i. e. buggy and hard to support in the future). Either way it's interesting that there is such an option, thanks for the tip.

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 7108
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:54 am

VioletGiraffe wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:37 am
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:18 am
yes and it works for wayfire

i don't really care for the cascading menus or wayfire.
my setup uses xfce4-appfinder & sway with the panel. my resolution is done in sway, so i have a script to change between the 2 i use.
That's interesting, the thing is, out of the box there is no such menu item. Is there a package I can install with apt to get the GUI for resolution setting? Without replacing the whole desktop or other desktop-related stuff?

I tried apt install sway and there is such a package, but I'm not sure whether it would make my OS too non-stock (i. e. buggy and hard to support in the future). Either way it's interesting that there is such an option, thanks for the tip.
:lol:
it should have been there, you most have a bad install.
the package it called arandr

don't install sway, sway is a window manager i replaced wayfire with.

what rpi device are you using.
the rpi4's and up get the new desktop.
the lower end devices get the old desktop.

VioletGiraffe
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:08 am

UPDATE: arandr works! Amazing, thank you very much! It's just not installed by default :shock:

Oh, right, I forgot to mention. It's Pi 4 and it's a fresh Raspberry OS install through the imager. I also have more than one of these (there's also a CM4), flashed from different PCs, none has display settings GUI. It absolutely is not a bad install or modified OS.

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 7108
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:19 am

UPDATE: arandr works! Amazing, thank you very much! It's just not installed by default :shock:
very strange, in all the installs i've done it's there.

perhaps it's because i don't update during setup, i like to wait till i get to the desktop.

VioletGiraffe
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:36 am

My bad, then, thank you for that bit of info as well. This is Pi OS Lite converted to desktop with

Code: Select all

sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods
I didn't want any extra junk, but I didn't realize this package may not even include screen settings. From now on I know better and will install the full official desktop ROS build when appropriate.

P. S. Why did you switch to sway? Is it better at something?

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 7108
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: How to change desktop resoltion in Raspberry OS Bookworm?

Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:54 am

i like a tiling desktop.

in stock raspberry you have to ctrl+alt+left or right arrow, i prefer a more auto approach.

just use the recommended next time, there's only thonny / geany /vlc for the extra apps, the rest is standard desktop you find on any install.

most of the time i use an os with a gnome desktop. but i always keep a copy of raspberry i boot up to keep it up to date.
even then i tend to have pop-shell for auto tiling.

if your rpi4 is 4gb you can try out tiling for yourself using pop os.
https://pop.system76.com/

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”