keyboardman

How Does The Forum Notification Work?

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:12 pm

There is an option called "Notify me upon replies by default:". It is activated but forum doesn't notify me after someone replies my post. How does it work? Where to look?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: How Does The Forum Notification Work?

Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:26 pm

Not sure. We may have disabled that option. I understand that it sends you an email when a reply is posted on a thread you started. But that might be wrong.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.
Meet me and the Pi team at Embedded World in Nürnberg, April 9th-11th, 2024
Hall 3A Stand 138
https://events.raspberrypi.com/official/24d5151d-dd0f-483d-88a7-a5fddaa5c554

terribleted

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:05 pm

i "subscribed" to this topic. now i'm adding a new post... we will see what happens!
( i think it should send me an email.... but somebody else post, cause it may not send if i'm the poster?)
(my email is set in my profile.. i think it needs to be set to get emails when the topic is posted)
The only people that don't make mistakes are people that don't do anything.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:10 pm

jamesh wrote:
Not sure. We may have disabled that option. I understand that it sends you an email when a reply is posted on a thread you started. But that might be wrong.
IIRC it was somewhat along those lines but, since I don't monitor or get new mail notifications** I disabled it a long time ago. I use the "Your posts" option to check for activity in posts I've created or contributed to followed by the "New Posts" option.
Trev.
** My IP preferred the use of their web-mail tool but since that threw a major "wobbly" some time ago I now use Claws Mail but don't have it active "full-time".
Testing Bookworm on a Pi5 and a P4B but running Bullseye or Buster on other (older) Pi's and the P400 I often post from. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm for notes & screenshots etc.

terribleted

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:05 am

Thanks @Ftrevorgowen for posting...
no email.
at least so far.

yes, i use the "your posts" most of the time.
The only people that don't make mistakes are people that don't do anything.

ame

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:24 am

jamesh wrote:
It sends an email when any thread you are subscribed to receives a reply, if you have chosen to receive email notifications. Email notifications are turned on in the User Control Panel | Board preferences | Edit notification options

You can subscribe to threads manually, but there is an option to automatically subscribe to a thread you have replied to in User Control Panel | Board preferences | Edit posting defaults

I'm sure this is in a fine manual somewhere.
Oh no, not again.

MiscBits

Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:12 pm

The forum software WILL NOT send an email to you when you add a post to a thread - it only sends when someone else adds a post.

You can manage your subscriptions by:
  • CLick your user name (top right of the forum)
  • Check you are on the Overview tab at the top of the screen
  • Select Manage Subscriptions on the left (2nd option)
You should also check:
  • Select Board Preferences
  • Edit notification options
  • Check what options are set here - enable email for those you are interested in
Note the above is based on the RPi theme - things may change if you change from this...

If you want to be notified on eery thread you add a post to you can set this in the Board Preference / Edit Posting Defaults screen.

You can find some documentation on the subscriptions at app.php/help/faq

NOTE: Notification is not 100% - it does miss things now and then (think it's a bug in the forum version as I am 100% sure its not a spam false positive).
I would tell you a joke about UDP but you may not get it.

Return to “Off topic discussion”