mike2-4004

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 pm

sinibomb wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:37 pm
Apologies if this is a noob question but I'm pulling what little hair I have left out trying to resolve.

I've done a clean install of the latest OS onto a Pi4, then followed the dummies guide to install Fruitbox. Install works fine, Fruitbox itself works perfectly, however it is not displaying completely full screen - the top and bottom of the desktop are visible (ie I can see the icons on the task bar, and the bottom part of the screen background). Am connected to a 1920x1080 monitor via HDMI.

Any ideas welcome - I've tried both 32 & 64bit OS, same result.

Edit - About 5 mins after posting I found the section in the dummies guide about hiding the menu bar - result! Will leave the post up if anyone else has the same issue in the future.
I have not found a reference called "Dummies Guide" for Fruitbox.
I am having the same issue and would love to hide the menu bar!!
Please either post the link to the guide or share the steps here :)
Thanks much.

Becky's Dad

Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:09 am

[/quote]

I have not found a reference called "Dummies Guide" for Fruitbox.
I am having the same issue and would love to hide the menu bar!!
Please either post the link to the guide or share the steps here :)
Thanks much.
[/quote]

The Dummies Guide can be found on the Digital Jukebox Builders Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233798034910367/files/

quakebo

Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:23 am

Hi I am new to raspberry pi and fruitbox and would like some help please.

I installed rpi-fruitbox-v1.16a.img to a micro sd card and have it working but I have since downloaded the WallSmall skin and made some changes to it.
Now my question is how do I install it to my micro sd card and replace the WallSmall skin already there.

Becky's Dad

Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:08 pm

quakebo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:23 am
Hi I am new to raspberry pi and fruitbox and would like some help please.

I installed rpi-fruitbox-v1.16a.img to a micro sd card and have it working but I have since downloaded the WallSmall skin and made some changes to it.
Now my question is how do I install it to my micro sd card and replace the WallSmall skin already there.
Use an FTP program (I use filezilla) on a pc to connect to your running pi and transfer the files across.
You need to know the IP address of the pi to connect to it. This can be seen on the pi desktop menu under the wifi connection or use an IP scanner on your pc to detect it on your wifi network.

quakebo

Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:23 pm

Thanks for the help that did the trick.
Now one more question please could someone tell me how do I set the skin to use instead of having to chose it at startup.

Becky's Dad

Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:38 pm

quakebo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:23 pm
Thanks for the help that did the trick.
Now one more question please could someone tell me how do I set the skin to use instead of having to chose it at startup.
The fruitbox configuration file (fruitbox.cfg) for each individual skin is located in the skin folder for that particualr skin.
The location of the skin folder and its configuration file are defined in fruitbox.ini

You need to edit fruitbox.ini to point to which skin(s) you wish to load at startup

type the following to open fruitbox.ini in an editor:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/fruitbox
 sudo nano fruitbox ini
Scroll down to the [skins] section and you'll see something like this if you have more than one skin

[skins]
File = skins/SB-M100/fruitbox.cfg
File = skins/Skin01/fruitbox.cfg
File= skins/Skin02/fruitbox.cfg
File = skins/Skin03/fruitbox.cfg

Simply delete the lines that are not required or you can comment out the lines that are not applicable by prefixing the line with a hash and add/edit the line that points to your skin folder location.
eg : if your folder is at the default location /home/pi/fruitbox/skins something like this to load 'Seeburg' skin

[skins]
#File = skins/SB-M100/fruitbox.cfg
#File = skins/Skin01/fruitbox.cfg
#File= skins/Skin02/fruitbox.cfg
File = skins/Seeburg/fruitbox.cfg

The advantage of 'commenting out' the lines are its quicker/easier if you wish to reinstate those skins/skin chooser by uncommenting the hash.

If your skin folder is at another location, possibly on a usb stick with the Music folder then point to the config file location

[skin]
File = /mnt/usb/skin/Seeburg/fruitbox.cfg

quakebo

Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:28 pm

I have now updated to fruitbox v2.04 on a different micro sd and have edited the ini file and skin config file to add MusicPath = /mnt/usb/ as my music location but it does not find it.

Also how do I get fruitbox v2.04 to auto load I have told it which skin file to load. But all it does is go straight to the terminal.

Now one more thing is does not display correctly on my 7inch 1024x600 screen as all I get is just a few lines. I had this problem with v1.16 but fixed it so I copied the settings from v1.16 to v2.04 but did not fix it

Becky's Dad

Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:44 pm

quakebo wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:28 pm
I have now updated to fruitbox v2.04 on a different micro sd and have edited the ini file and skin config file to add MusicPath = /mnt/usb/ as my music location but it does not find it.

Also how do I get fruitbox v2.04 to auto load I have told it which skin file to load. But all it does is go straight to the terminal.

Now one more thing is does not display correctly on my 7inch 1024x600 screen as all I get is just a few lines. I had this problem with v1.16 but fixed it so I copied the settings from v1.16 to v2.04 but did not fix it

Firstly, ensure your USB stick/drive is formatted to FAT32

If the MusicPath is defined correctly fruitbox should find the files and build the database.
Are your mp3's stored in the root of the USB stick or in a folder ?
In my case I put the files in a folder called 'Music' so my pathway would be MusicPath = /mnt/usb/Music

If your running a pi4 you could use the pi's default to search for the music files MusicPath = media/pi,

Previously I had a pi3 that didn't seem to be finding the files and I added a line Under the MusicPath line: Database = /mnt/usb which fixed it for me. (Not sure if that was running v2)

Autorunning of fruitbox depends on wether you are using a pi3 or 4, and with a 4 it now also depends if your running the latest operating system (currently 'Bookworm') The various ways of achieving a successful autorun are documented in Jay Thompsons excellent 'Pi4 Fruitbox v2 GUI Installation Guide For Dummies' if you haven't already got a copy download it from here (Pi3 version also here) :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... qFXqRuIDuJ

quakebo

Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:07 pm

Thanks for the help now everything works great.
Now is it possible to have it on random play then add songs to the list and when there done playing it go's back to random play again.

MalcolmN

Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:39 pm

Could I ask whether fruitbox will work with the adafruit 2.8" capacitative touch screen? I have downloaded raspbian os onto my pi 3+ and got the touch screen working but then found the jukebox software I was trying at that time wouldn't work as it used an earlier version of pip, and was incompatible with pip3. I'm quite good at following instructions I don't understand, but here I had to give up :) I'm happy to start again from scratch, as I gather fruitbox may not like raspbian os...
Any help / advice would be very gratefully received!
Malcolm

gizmoman

Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:54 pm

Hi guys, hoping someone can answer a question about Fruitbox, I have tried it out briefly but cannot figure out how to create a jukebox that has distinct A and B sides for a given single, this is possible in DWJukebox using Folders for each single and creating a database using file structure rather than ID3 tags. there seems to be a "linked song" option in Fruitbox but I can't see how it works or if it would actually do what I want. I have a perfectly functioning DWJukebox singles jukebox but I would like to move to a more modern option, but don't want to spend too much more time tinkering with Fruitbox if it can't do what I need. TIA for any replies, hope someone can help.

quakebo

Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:26 pm

I'm using v2 and when I press the random button it plays 1 song and then stops. So how do I make it just keep laying random songs once I've pressed the random button?

Also if I have attract mode on when fruitbox starts it will keep playing random songs as well as let me add songs before going back to attract mode which is great. Now if I press a button to turn of attract mode and then at some point turn it on again it will only play 10 seconds of a song before switching to another song for 10 seconds.

Why is this and anyone know how to solve it please.

Becky's Dad

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:07 pm

quakebo wrote:
I'm using v2 and when I press the random button it plays 1 song and then stops. So how do I make it just keep laying random songs once I've pressed the random button?

Also if I have attract mode on when fruitbox starts it will keep playing random songs as well as let me add songs before going back to attract mode which is great. Now if I press a button to turn of attract mode and then at some point turn it on again it will only play 10 seconds of a song before switching to another song for 10 seconds.

Attract Mode plays a small sample at a preset volume and time interval to attract a potential user to deposit coins and play full songs.

If you simply want songs to randomly play one after another, make these settings in Fruitbox.ini :

[attract mode]
Enable = Yes
Choice = Random
Interval = 0.0 Minutes
MaxVolume = 50  #(or whatever volume you want)
FadeIn = 0.0 Seconds
FadeOut = 0.0 Seconds
FadeInPosition = 0.0 Seconds
FadeOutPosition = 0.0 Seconds

Becky's Dad

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:49 pm

gizmoman wrote:
Hi guys, hoping someone can answer a question about Fruitbox, I have tried it out briefly but cannot figure out how to create a jukebox that has distinct A and B sides for a given single, this is possible in DWJukebox using Folders for each single and creating a database using file structure rather than ID3 tags. there seems to be a "linked song" option in Fruitbox but I can't see how it works or if it would actually do what I want. I have a perfectly functioning DWJukebox singles jukebox but I would like to move to a more modern option, but don't want to spend too much more time tinkering with Fruitbox if it can't do what I need. TIA for any replies, hope someone can help.

You need to edit the fruitbox.cfg file for the skin you are using. You will find it in the 'skin' folder.

"PairSongs" found under the [general] heading in fruitbox.cfg is the parameter that controls the display action, you have three options:

No - each song in a title strip is listed with its artist line
Yes - two songs are displayed (above and below) the artist line only if they are by the same artist
Dual - two songs are displayed (above and below) the artist line regardless of artist

You will also need to define the following items:
SongDescription - the first song title to appear in the title strip,
PairedSongDescription - the second song title to appear in the title strip
ArtistDescription - first artist
PairedArtistDescription - second artist
MatchedArtistDescription - Used instead of 'ArtistDescription' if the artists of the songs in a pair are the same (or the second song in a pair is absent)

So, typically for a title strip displaying one song / one artist you could use:

PairSongs = no
SongDescription = ${SONG_TITLE}
ArtistDescription = ${SONG_ARTIST}
for a title strip showing two songs by the same artist:

PairSongs = yes
for a title strip displaying two songs, two artists:

PairSongs = dual
PairedSongDescription = ${PAIRED_SONG_TITLE}
ArtistDescription = ${SONG_ARTIST} / ${PAIRED_SONG_ARTIST}

quakebo

Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:48 pm

Becky's Dad wrote:
quakebo wrote:

Attract Mode plays a small sample at a preset volume and time interval to attract a potential user to deposit coins and play full songs.

If you simply want songs to randomly play one after another, make these settings in Fruitbox.ini :

[attract mode]
Enable = Yes
Choice = Random
Interval = 0.0 Minutes
FadeIn = 0.0 Seconds
FadeOut = 0.0 Seconds
Thanks I have it set so when it loads it will keep playing random songs and I can add songs to play which it will and then go back to random playing songs. Now if attract mode is turned off and I use the random button it plays just one random song and stops but if I keep pressing the random button it will keep adding random songs to the play list .
Is this how it should work I ask because I am still new to fruitbox.

Becky's Dad

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:41 am

quakebo wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:48 pm
Becky's Dad wrote:
quakebo wrote:

[attract mode]
Enable = Yes
Choice = Random
Interval = 0.0 Minutes
FadeIn = 0.0 Seconds
FadeOut = 0.0 Seconds
Thanks I have it set so when it loads it will keep playing random songs and I can add songs to play which it will and then go back to random playing songs. Now if attract mode is turned off and I use the random button it plays just one random song and stops but if I keep pressing the random button it will keep adding random songs to the play list .
Is this how it should work I ask because I am still new to fruitbox.
OK, you have two things in play here, normal fruitbox behaviour for the random button is to play one random song per button push, additional button pushes add a corresponding number of random song to the play queue.
The reason yours is playing random songs on load is because I'm guessing you have enabled AttractMode.

I do not use a random button to achive random play, I use AttractMode toggled on/off to have fruitbox automatically play a constant stream of random tracks.

I DO NOT enable attract mode :

[attract mode]
Enable = No
Choice = Random
Interval = 0.0 Minutes
MaxVolume = 80  
FadeIn = 0.0 Seconds
FadeOut = 0.0 Seconds
I configure a button in the [buttons] section of fruitbox.ini to toggle "AttractMode" On/Off - in my Rock-Ola 507 Wallbox skin this button also lights up a status box as either "User Select Mode" (AttractMode Off) or "Auto Play Mode" (AttractMode On) .

In "Auto Play Mode"/AttractMode On random songs will play continously, the songs do not appear in the play queue/coming up status box.
I can still add songs manually which will be displayed in the play queue/coming up status box and will be played directly after the current song. Once the manually selected songs have played fruitbox will carry on playing in an Auto Play/AtttractMode On manner.

In 'User Select Mode' / AttractMode Off
I can add songs manually and they are added to the play queue and displayed in the 'coming up' status box.

gizmoman

Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:21 pm

Becky's Dad wrote:
gizmoman wrote:

You need to edit the fruitbox.cfg file for the skin you are using. You will find it in the 'skin' folder.

"PairSongs" found under the [general] heading in fruitbox.cfg is the parameter that controls the display action, you have three options:

Yes - two songs are displayed (above and below) the artist line only if they are by the same artist
Dual - two songs are displayed (above and below) the artist line regardless of artist

MatchedArtistDescription - Used instead of 'ArtistDescription' if the artists of the songs in a pair are the same (or the second song in a pair is absent)

PairSongs = no

PairSongs = yes

PairSongs = dual
Thank You Becky's Dad!, That's exactly what I needed, a step by step explanation, but if I understand correctly the second example you showed ,

PairSongs = yes
wouldn't you also need the "PairedSongDescription" line too in order to define the "B" side song? To be honest I'm still not understanding how the program would know which song was to be linked, do you have to edit the database once created and add a line to the song you want to have a link for? As I look at the example you have given it seems to me the program would randomly select 2 songs by the same artist and display them on the one title strip, that is not what I want, how do I tell the program which song is the A side and the correct B side? Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm quite used to DWJukebox but this is taking some effort!

quakebo

Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:21 pm

I made the changes to my fruitbox.ini file and setup a button to turn attract mode on or off and now it is working as I would like.
So thank you for the help.

Becky's Dad

Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:16 pm

gizmoman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:21 pm
Becky's Dad wrote:
gizmoman wrote:

PairSongs = no

PairSongs = yes

PairSongs = dual
Thank You Becky's Dad!, That's exactly what I needed, a step by step explanation, but if I understand correctly the second example you showed ,

PairSongs = yes
wouldn't you also need the "PairedSongDescription" line too in order to define the "B" side song? To be honest I'm still not understanding how the program would know which song was to be linked, do you have to edit the database once created and add a line to the song you want to have a link for? As I look at the example you have given it seems to me the program would randomly select 2 songs by the same artist and display them on the one title strip, that is not what I want, how do I tell the program which song is the A side and the correct B side? Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm quite used to DWJukebox but this is taking some effort!
The method I described above just coallates songs by the same artist, it doesn't actually tie a known A side and B side together.
I don't think editing the database file would work as the database is created before the the songs are sorted and displayed.

You can sort songs alphabetically for the following database fields :
Title, Artist, Album, AlbumArtist, Year, Genre, TrackNumber, Publisher, ISRC, Custom Tag, Random, Unsorted

You can sort multiple times eg

SortSongsBy = AlbumArtist
SortSongsBy = Album
SortSongsBy = TrackNumber

If your MP3's are tagged with Publisher (record label) and ISRC (record issue number) or add a custom field (Side A/ Side B) you could try
SortSongsBy = Artist
SortSongsBy = Publisher
SortSongsBy = ISRC
SortSongsBy = CustomTag

Never tried it myself, good luck

gizmoman

Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:50 pm

Thanks for the response, it seems I was right in my thinking, there is no easy way to do what is, in my view a basic requirement of a jukebox emulator, a real jukebox has singles with a A and B side not just a collection of songs, it is bizarre to me that someone would spend so long perfecting this (and other) programs without this basic feature. To be fair to Chundermike, DWJukebox doesn't have an easy way of doing this either, it takes a bit of effort to create a folder structure which the program can then sort into "singles". I'm pretty sure using a tag to identify each single would work but it's going to take a lot of time and effort, I've got thousands of files to do. Looks like I'm stuck with DWJukebox and Windows XP for now, I may experiment further with Fruitbox later on but don't have much time at the moment. Will report back here if I make progress, though it doesn't seem like anyone else is really interested, maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember what a real jukebox is like!

Becky's Dad

Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:53 pm

gizmoman wrote:
Thanks for the response, it seems I was right in my thinking, there is no easy way to do what is, in my view a basic requirement of a jukebox emulator, a real jukebox has singles with a A and B side not just a collection of songs, it is bizarre to me that someone would spend so long perfecting this (and other) programs without this basic feature. To be fair to Chundermike, DWJukebox doesn't have an easy way of doing this either, it takes a bit of effort to create a folder structure which the program can then sort into "singles". I'm pretty sure using a tag to identify each single would work but it's going to take a lot of time and effort, I've got thousands of files to do. Looks like I'm stuck with DWJukebox and Windows XP for now, I may experiment further with Fruitbox later on but don't have much time at the moment. Will report back here if I make progress, though it doesn't seem like anyone else is really interested, maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember what a real jukebox is like!
There may be an easier way that I'm not aware of. Normally Mike is pretty good at monitoring the forum and responding, however, I think his time currently is devoted to bringing us version 3 which I am led to believe is not a few tweaks but rather a complete rewrite of the software.
The issue you have rasied may even be one of the improvements as one of Mikes aims is to faithfully emulate working jukeboxes in their function and like you I would love to see an easy way to pull the correct A and B sides into the fruitbox database - it may already be there but beyond my current level of knowledge/experience.

I think if you try and edit your MP3 tags to reflect ISRC or use custom tagging to 'encode' your mp3's, I use Tag & Rename as a file tagger and it has ISRC and a catalogue number field that could be used and then sort songs by those fields after sorting by Artist it should bring the result your after. might be worth trying out on a few files ??

gizmoman

Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:10 pm

Yes, i'll wait and see what V3 brings, it's clear a massive amount of time and effort has gone into this and the program has an amazing number of options and customisations, that is why I'm keen to upgrade to it, would like to add video for example, which is not really possible with DWJukebox. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a new method.

fruitbox

Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:43 am

gizmoman wrote:
Hi,
I didn’t implement this as there is no obvious information (in the mp3 tag metadata) which can associate two songs together (as side A and side B). If you know of any, give me a shout and I’ll have a think if it can already be done or I need to tweak the software.

Cheers
Mike

gizmoman

Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:43 pm

fruitbox wrote:
gizmoman wrote:
Hi,
I didn’t implement this as there is no obvious information (in the mp3 tag metadata) which can associate two songs together (as side A and side B). If you know of any, give me a shout and I’ll have a think if it can already be done or I need to tweak the software.

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to respond, and a big thanks for all your work on this, I'm not a fan of using tags to organise music collections, I have always used folders and as you say there isn't a provision to tag 2 songs together without using a custom tag even then it would involve manually tagging every song, I can't think of a way of automating it. From a purely selfish perspective if you could add the same folder sort option that DWJukebox has that would (in theory) mean I could use my existing music, of course I'm assuming that the Pi filesystem works the same way that a Windows system works which is probably wrong, you would also need to know what logic DWJukebox actually uses to sort the folders, that is coded in to the program, there is no option to modify it as far as I can see. I understand this is not as easy as it first may seem and that probably explains why NO jukebox program I have seen has this option, but I hope you can sort it, it would make the program perfect.

fruitbox

Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:48 pm

gizmoman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:43 pm
fruitbox wrote:
gizmoman wrote:
Hi,

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to respond, and a big thanks for all your work on this, I'm not a fan of using tags to organise music collections, I have always used folders and as you say there isn't a provision to tag 2 songs together without using a custom tag even then it would involve manually tagging every song, I can't think of a way of automating it. From a purely selfish perspective if you could add the same folder sort option that DWJukebox has that would (in theory) mean I could use my existing music, of course I'm assuming that the Pi filesystem works the same way that a Windows system works which is probably wrong, you would also need to know what logic DWJukebox actually uses to sort the folders, that is coded in to the program, there is no option to modify it as far as I can see. I understand this is not as easy as it first may seem and that probably explains why NO jukebox program I have seen has this option, but I hope you can sort it, it would make the program perfect.
Hi
I’m not familiar with the way DWJukebox does it…is it easy to explain how?
Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”