wlathan

Remote Access to RPi Desktop from Windows

Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:17 pm

I am trying to set up Remote Desktop on my Windows machine to access the RPi desktop. I have had limited success. With SSH and VNC enabled on the RPi, when I try to use Remote Access in Windows, I am presented with four choices: Xorg, Xvnc, vnc-any, and neutrinordp-any. Which of these should I choose or is there a better way to access the RPI than Remote Desktop.

Many thanks,

Bill

neilgl

Re: Remote Access to RPi Desktop from Windows

Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Use the recommended VNCViewer (free) on the Windows PC, not RDP.
I have version 6.22.515

wlathan

Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:01 pm

Thanks for the great tip! I downloaded the same version and now am up and running.

Thanks again,

Bill

neilgl

Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:45 pm

You can also use VNC "cloud connections" to the pi that enable VNCViewer connections over the internet (up to 5 pi).
I used mine to access a pi4 in the UK while I was in Japan - excellent.

wlathan

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:37 pm

I have another question. Let me explain my setup. I have a RPi 5 which I have set up with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and instead of an SD card, I use a 1TB Samsung T7 SSD, connected via USB. I have been using this setup ever since getting my hands on an RPI 5, but my interest is making it headless. I enabled VNC on the PI. It was suggested I try VNC Viewer, and that works flawlessly as long as I have the HDMI cable with monitor connected to the RPi. But when I disconnect this monitor connection, I cannot connect via the VNC Viewer. Is there something that I need to add to the RPI that I've missed?

Thanks,

Bill

neilgl

Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:59 pm

Strange as I run my two pi5 systems “headless” (no monitor, keyboard, mouse attached) all the time and they work perfectly using VNCviewer, but no SSD via USB.
Maybe try installing Raspberry Pi OS onto a microSD card, using Imager (with OS customisation settings) boot from that and enable VNC - what happens?

wlathan

Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:28 am

Never mind on my last message. Turns out that apparently on this RPi 5, at least, that one can't simply pull the HDMI cable out of the RPi and expect it to go on working correctly. I took a good SSD and started the RPi in headless mode. Then when I tried to connect with VNC Viewer, I had no problem at all. So, stupid me, I learned something. Don't pull cables off the pi unless it's down.

Thanks to all who replied,

Bill

ooosxo

Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:23 pm

I am also trying to create a headless setup using my Windows machine and RPi5. I enabled VNC server using the terminal window over ssh. However, when I enter the IP address of the Pi in TigerVNC, an error message appears:

Failed to connect to "IP/Hostname of Pi"
unable to connect to socket: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (10060)

Something to note, when I enable VNC server using sudo raspi-config over ssh, the following messages appear in the terminal window:
Generating key...
Done
Generating RSA key...
Done

From watching other people configure their headless setup online I've noticed that when they enable VNC server over ssh they get the following message appear in the terminal window:
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vncserver-x11-serviced.service -> /lib/systemd/system/vncserver-x11-serviced.service.

Any suggestions on what I should try to get the headless setup to work?

Return to “Networking and servers”