doomvor

Temperature Sensor Project Help

Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:00 pm

Please note that I am extremly new to this stuff, so please explain very easily =)

I'm going to be building a network of temperature sensors(IoT I think it's called?), and having them wirelessly connect to my Rasberry Pi. I want to be able to read the sensors from my Rasberry Pi. This way, I can find out the temperatures between multiple rooms in my house by simply running the program. However, I have no idea where to start. I've done some research, and I think I know what I have to do, but feel free to correct me. Essentially, I need to have some senors(Probably going to be DHT22s), connect them to some microcontrollers, and then somehow connect that to the Rasbberry Pi? I'm very confused on how we connect all these parts together, and what I need to make it work. I'd like for someone to properly explain it and maybe link a tutorial if possible. Thank you for your help!

neilgl

Re: Temperature Sensor Project Help

Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:17 pm

Maybe use several DS18B20 sensors on microcontrollers (esp8266 D1 mini in my case) sending temperature data back to the pi using MQTT on your in-house network (WiFi). No IoT needed. The pi stores data in a database on the pi (I used influxdb) and can display graphs on a web page (I used grafana)

horace3

Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:20 am

following on from the suggestion of DS18B20 sensors have a look at the ESP-01 (see https://www.instructables.com/How-to-us ... 6-01-pins/) - very small and easy to interface too

bubulindo

Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:58 pm

Be mindful of the impact of the microcontroller temperature on the reading of the sensor...i.e. place it away from the processor chip.

bensimmo

Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 am

An alternative, but similar.
Is to setup HomeAssistant on you main Pi.
Then go look at ESP8266 / ESP32 devices and either dsb18, DHT, BME etc sensors, you can get more then just temperature.
You can use ESPhome to do all the faff, and send all the data back.

You could even skip a step and buy the square box temp/humidity /pressure sensors with or without a display, they're battery powered and most of them can send back either over WiFi but many by Bluetooth. (and they are cheap and often discounted, say 8 to 10 pounds each.)

Very little for you to do.
It does take away a lot of the fun and learning though.

ame

Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 am

I use ESPeasy on Wemos D1 Minis and a string of DS18B20 sensors. Reports back to Domoticz for logging and graphing.
Oh no, not again.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”