cwhitepv

NPM install failure Raspberry Pi OS on Desktop inside Virtual Box VM

Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:12 pm

Hello,

I'm very new to this and trying to install nodejs and npm on a virtual machine I'm using on my windows laptop. I thought this would be a good way to develop on the go without having to drag around my pi. I keep going through the instructions to install nodejs and I can see that is installed and the version is v12.12.22, when I do the same to see npm version it says it's not a valid command.

I keep searching for a specific installation that I should use since this isn't technicall arm, but everything I try I screw up. I downloaded some stuff off of the nodejs site, but I have no idea how to install something I've download on raspberry pi....

SUPER beginner, please don't burn me too hard and thanks for any and all help coming back!

Javeria

Re: NPM install failure Raspberry Pi OS on Desktop inside Virtual Box VM

Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:46 am

Hey, I am having the same issue, can't install latest version of node.
Did you reach any solution? If yes, kindly help.

DPSwann

Re: NPM install failure Raspberry Pi OS on Desktop inside Virtual Box VM

Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:40 pm

I use Node and NPM on several Raspberries, but have not used it the way you want to inside a VM. In the past getting an up to date Node was rather complex. Nowadays NVM makes it just so easy on the Raspberry. Take a look at NVM to see if you think it will work in a VM and perhaps let the forum know, if NVM this solves your problem. https://github.com/nvm-sh/nvm

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”