Quax_2

Pi 3B+, Bullseye, Camera official module 3 NoIR

Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:06 am

Hi there,
I am struggling since weeks to get the newly obtained v3 camera module to work.
History: Before I was running Buster with an USB-Cam attached and was working ~ (poor quality)
I tried the the v3 out of the box and it would not recognize any "interface" however attached=1 and enabled=1 did show

I tried "Bookworm" and the camera worked, however the Pi turned into a snail-brick

Now I am back with Bullseye, but I am not getting anywhere.

Anybody out there with Pi 3B+, Bullseyem Camera v3 experience ??

Currently (after flashing OS Bullseye - with Pi Imager v1.8.5) I can't even ssh into the Pi
(and I am missing the advanced options in Pi imager)
Does this mean an HL setup is not possible any more ??

best regards, an hint appreciated :|
Gunter

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi 3B+, Bullseye, Camera official module 3 NoIR

Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:28 pm

The v3 camera module is not supported by the legacy camera stack.

See viewtopic.php?t=362707 for troubleshooting of camera modules.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Quax_2

Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:41 pm

Good, nice, thank you.
Does this mean they are selling "official" camera - modules - which are not supported ??
If yes: What a scam !!!!

I've tried it on Buster, Bullseye, Bookworm

With pretty much the same result: not working 2 useless

6by9

Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:59 pm

Quax_2 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:41 pm
Good, nice, thank you.
Does this mean they are selling "official" camera - modules - which are not supported ??
If yes: What a scam !!!!

I've tried it on Buster, Bullseye, Bookworm

With pretty much the same result: not working 2 useless
It is fully supported when using libcamera on both Bullseye and Bookworm.
"vc_gencmd get_camera" is not applicable when using libcamera, as is detailed in the troubleshooting page I'd linked to.

You've given no details what commands you're actually running, or the tutorial that you're following, so it's nearly impossible to provide any support.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Quax_2

Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 am

Sorry, you are right, I will try to improve:

I am talking about: RPi 3B+, bullseye, virgin flash install.
raspi-config does not allow / detect any camera to be activated

libcamera-hello

will show the pic as it is supposed to.
Even so the tutorials out there are very confused !! It took me ages to figure out that

rpicam-hello

won't work.
libcamera-hello

... does

I am trying to get this newly installed v3 Camera to work as an replacement for the former Buster-USB-Cam version
(which was working perfectly with Cheese, Zoom)

Sorry, but I am old, suffer alzheimer, arthritis and sometimes don't connect missing updates

best regards, Gunter

gordon77

Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am

Unfortunately they aren't going to rename libcamera-apps in Bullseye...

viewtopic.php?t=359569#p2180906

Quax_2

Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:05 am

Hi there,

I am not looking for a rename. I can live with the libcamera_apps.

However, I was looking for an GUI overlay to make the functions more accessible.

Plus I am very disappointed that the official RPi camera won't work / is not recognized by Zoom.

Hence my intent turns "obsolete", I could have kept the old cheap USB Camera and saved the money on the Camera v3 module.

There is an USB adapter for the camera module, but together with the Camera $, you could buy a prime USB cam of the rack.

So thanks to unclear, incomplete and misleading information: I am loosing my faith in RPi-org.

best regards :(
Gunter

6by9

Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:08 am

If you're using an app that only support V4L2 sources, then use libcamera''s V4L2 compatibility layer. Prepend "libcamerify" before you launch your app, eg "libcamerify cheese"

Quax_2

Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:29 am

That was probably the most valuable reply I got:
However I fail to decode it.
(In terms of: What am I supposed to do, to achieve this ??)
thanks a lot ;)

HermannSW

Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:00 am

6by9 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:08 am
If you're using an app that only support V4L2 sources, then use libcamera''s V4L2 compatibility layer. Prepend "libcamerify" before you launch your app, eg "libcamerify cheese"
After "sudo apt install cheese" that command does not work (with GS camera), but it works on Raspberry with USB cameras ...

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi5:~ $ libcamerify cheese
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

(cheese:62995): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 07:56:11.562: gst_value_set_int_range_step: assertion 'end % step == 0' failed
(cheese:63036): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 07:56:25.592: gst_value_set_int_range_step: assertion 'end % step == 0' failed

(cheese:63036): cheese-WARNING **: 07:56:25.717: Failed to allocate required memory.: ../sys/v4l2/gstv4l2src.c(976): gst_v4l2src_decide_allocation (): /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin28/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src1:
Buffer pool activation failed

https://github.com/Hermann-SW/RSA_numbers_factored
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/GS_cam_1152x192@304fps
https://hermann-sw.github.io/planar_graph_playground
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/

Return to “Camera board”