jthjth

Moving from Pi4 to Pi5

Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:58 am

If I setup Bookworm on a Pi4 can I simply move the SD card to a Pi5 (when it arrives) and expect it to boot and work correctly, or should I start with a fresh install?

rpdom

Re: Moving from Pi4 to Pi5

Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:19 am

jthjth wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:58 am
If I setup Bookworm on a Pi4 can I simply move the SD card to a Pi5 (when it arrives) and expect it to boot and work correctly
Yes.
Unreadable squiggle

jthjth

Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:16 am

Thank you - that's just the sort of answer I was hoping for :)

rpdom

Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:25 am

I would recommend the 64-bit version of Bookworm for the Pi 4 and Pi 5, as long as you don't plan to run it on a Pi 1, Zero or early Pi 2.
Unreadable squiggle

cct

Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:50 pm

Planning to do this when my PI5 arrives. PI4 is 8GB, full 64 bit distro. Is changing the node name as simple as changing it in raspi-config?

I have had huge problems before on various OS - especially VMS

Chris
--
Chris

rpdom

Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:13 pm

cct wrote:
Planning to do this when my PI5 arrives. PI4 is 8GB, full 64 bit distro. Is changing the node name as simple as changing it in raspi-config?

Chris
Yes, change the hostname in raspi-config, or edit the files /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and change it in there. That will do the job in most cases.
Unreadable squiggle

cct

Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:25 pm

rpdom wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:13 pm
cct wrote:

Chris
Yes, change the hostname in raspi-config, or edit the files /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and change it in there. That will do the job in most cases.
Thanks - thought it would be enough

Chris
--
Chris

philrandal

Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:41 pm

The answers are almost correct.

However, if you're using the serial port (ttyAMA0):

On Pi 4 and earlier, "enable_uart=1" in /boot/config.txt

On a Pi 5, it is instead "dtparam=uart0=on" instead.

Or use raspi-config to enable it.

That one had me scratching my head until I realised the difference.

Phil

Dana JG

Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 am

Hi all. I have a similar question, found and read this thread.

I'm moving my Bitcoin Lightning node from a Pi4 to a Pi5. I assume moving the SSD is fine. I'm using the Pi's for HDMI (monitor), keyboard and mouse (USB).

I plan on a getting new Pi5 chassis and fan.

Anything to be aware of or gotcha's?

Many thanks!
Dana in Oregon

bjtheone

Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:51 pm

Dana JG wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 am
Hi all. I have a similar question, found and read this thread.

I'm moving my Bitcoin Lightning node from a Pi4 to a Pi5. I assume moving the SSD is fine. I'm using the Pi's for HDMI (monitor), keyboard and mouse (USB).

I plan on a getting new Pi5 chassis and fan.

Anything to be aware of or gotcha's?

Many thanks!
Dana in Oregon
A current OS install (Bookworm) running on a Pi 4 will run without issue on a Pi 5. If you are not powering the Pi 5 with the USB-PD power supply and get the 5V@5A mode, you may need to set the override to get enough current to run the USB connected SSD. Any SSD that runs on a Pi 4 should run on a Pi 5. I built and tested a Bookworm install on a 4B and then moved that install to a Pi 5 without having to change anything.

If the 4B is running Buster or Bullseye, the easy path is to upgrade to Bookworm. There apparently are ways to tweak, at least Bullseye, to run on the Pi 5 but it is most definitely not particularly common or supported.

skamz

Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:47 am

Hi I just want to mention, as someone who just got their Pi 5 in the mail and attempted this, it did NOT work.

I think this is because I upgraded my Debian install to Bookworm and didn't do a fresh install. Apparently if you already have a system that was a fresh Bookworm install then you can switch between 4 and 5.

bjtheone

Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm

skamz wrote:
Hi I just want to mention, as someone who just got their Pi 5 in the mail and attempted this, it did NOT work.

I think this is because I upgraded my Debian install to Bookworm and didn't do a fresh install. Apparently if you already have a system that was a fresh Bookworm install then you can switch between 4 and 5.
You certainly _can_ upgrade from Buster or Bullseye to Bookworm. Unless you have reasonable Linux skills you likely _shouldn't_ upgrade this way. Given the vast (infinite) number of OS variations, it is very difficult to provide a recipe that will work without issues doing an in place upgrade. For that reason, RPL always recommends starting from a fresh install for new distro releases.

A functional Bookworm install, running on a Pi 4, should run on a Pi 5 without any issues. A clean Bookworm install that was running on a Pi 4 will run on a Pi 5 without issues.

andrewsmith32

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:35 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm
skamz wrote:

You certainly _can_ upgrade from Buster or Bullseye to Bookworm. Unless you have reasonable Linux skills you likely _shouldn't_ upgrade this way. Given the vast (infinite) number of OS variations, it is very difficult to provide a recipe that will work without issues doing an in place upgrade. For that reason, RPL always recommends starting from a fresh install for new distro releases.

A functional Bookworm install, running on a Pi 4, should run on a Pi 5 without any issues. A clean Bookworm install that was running on a Pi 4 will run on a Pi 5 without issues.
Sure thing! Upgrading from Buster or Bullseye to Bookworm is possible, but it's not always a smooth ride unless you're pretty good with Linux. It's like trying to upgrade a car while it's still running – things can get messy. It's usually safer to start fresh with a new installation for big updates like this. And if you're moving from a Raspberry Pi 4 to a Pi 5 with Bookworm, don't worry – it should work just fine without any hiccups.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”