emamalina

Information transfer from Raspberry Pi 4 to Raspberry Pi 5

Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:28 pm

Hello,

I am wondering how to transfer information from Sd card that Raspberry Pi 4 uses to Sd card that Raspberry Pi 5 uses. I tried copying information to the second card directly, but Raspberry Pi 5 did not boot it. n( Said there was problem associated with F A T)

B.Goode

Re: Information transfer from Raspberry Pi 4 to Raspberry Pi 5

Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:13 pm

emamalina wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering how to transfer information from Sd card that Raspberry Pi 4 uses to Sd card that Raspberry Pi 5 uses. I tried copying information to the second card directly, but Raspberry Pi 5 did not boot it. n( Said there was problem associated with F A T)

What is the 'information' you want to transfer?

Is it the Operating system itself?

Or some data that you have collected or generated?

Is using a network connection between the two devices a possibility?

Do you HAVE to use the microSD card(s) from which the RPi boards are booting? Could you use some other portable usb mass storage device instead?
Beware of the Leopard

RaspyHat

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:44 pm

emamalina wrote:
Hello,

I'm sure that whatever you've saved on the sd card will be transferable, you just have to make sure that you have sure you back up to another computer, because, don't quote me on this, it might need a different version of the OS you're using, which will wipe the data off the card

bjtheone

Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:50 pm

RaspyHat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:44 pm
emamalina wrote:
Hello,

I'm sure that whatever you've saved on the sd card will be transferable, you just have to make sure that you have sure you back up to another computer, because, don't quote me on this, it might need a different version of the OS you're using, which will wipe the data off the card
This sentence makes my brain hurt (which might just be a lack of caffeine issue). However, assuming that bot the Pi4 and the Pi5 microSD cards are "normal" they will have a small partition with a FAT filesystem, and a larger (rest of memory) partition with an ext4 file system. Both Pis will have no issues reading the other Pi's file systems. If this is not the case, the OP needs to provide more information.

It would be helpful to explain what data you want to copy and how you tried to copy it already.

In terms of copying the info, take one microSD card out of the Pi, stick it in a USB adaptor, stick in in a USB port on the other Pi and copy away.

If you are actually talking about making a "full" (duplicate) copy of the microSD, then stick the second one in said USB adaptor and use the most excellent SD Copier to make a direct copy (do check the new UUID option box).

You can do this a number of other ways but these are the simplest.

Return to “Beginners”