fermion

Assistance camera as a headset for elderly people with Zero 2W: Improve Wifi with USB-WLAN adapter?

Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:01 pm

I am trying to develop an assistance camera as a headset for older people (non-profit).

The basis is a Zero 2W.

The performance of the integrated Wifi is not sufficient.

Can you provide a USB WLAN adapter that significantly improves the transmission performance of the Zero 2W?

Ideally, the adapter should also have a 5Ghz band.

As a form factor, it would be good if a rod-shaped antenna is not used, as this reduces user acceptance.
The antenna should still be powerful.
The WLAN adapter does not have to be tiny. It would be better if it were larger and had an integrated antenna.

Thank you for your help.
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W

fermion

Re: Assistance camera as a headset for elderly people with Zero 2W: Improve Wifi with USB-WLAN adapter?

Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:42 pm

Is there really no one reading this who has ever tried a WLAN adapter on a Zero 2W?

I would be very happy about a report : ) Thank you.
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Assistance camera as a headset for elderly people with Zero 2W: Improve Wifi with USB-WLAN adapter?

Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:55 pm

try to find a post about this using the Search option above!

pidd

Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:51 pm

The performance of the Zero2W's wireless is pretty similar to an antenna-less dongle when I tried it.

All wireless devices have roughly the same transmit power and receive sensitivity, its the antenna that makes the difference. For a given size antenna it is also going to perform similarly.

Zubairsk

Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:27 am

Hi there,

Your project to develop an assistance camera as a headset for elderly individuals sounds like a wonderful initiative! To improve the transmission performance of your Raspberry Pi Zero 2W, you can certainly utilize a USB WLAN adapter.

For your specific requirements, I'd recommend looking into USB WLAN adapters that support the 5GHz band for improved speed and stability. Additionally, since you prefer to avoid rod-shaped antennas for better user acceptance, opting for a larger adapter with an integrated antenna would be a suitable choice.

While I can't endorse specific brands or models, you can search for USB WLAN adapters with these features online or visit local electronics stores. Be sure to check product specifications and user reviews to ensure compatibility and effectiveness for your project.

Best of luck with your development, and I commend you for your efforts in creating technology to assist elderly individuals. If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask!

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”