trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:54 am

Please stop doing updates that mess with the official touchscreen!

I have a Raspberry PI4 4GB with official touchscreen. All was working fine until updating (sudo apt upgrade) a couple of weeks ago when the touch panel was rotated 180 deg without warning - after adding lcd_rotate=2 and rotating the display in desktop all was working again.

Now, this morning after updating again, the touch panel was rotated 180 deg but the display was fine, so I tried to edit /boot/config.txt to find it was no longer there and is now /boot/firmware/config.txt, so edited that the lcd_rotate=0 and guess what...the display does not even turn on regardless of what I change lcd_rotate= to. I can't even find the backlight location to try and switch it on that way (used to be '/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power', then '/sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power', now I have no idea). The Pi boots as I can connect using SSH.

Is there anywhere to find release notes for updates that are done using 'sudo apt upgrade'? This might help identify the problem. Any other suggestions would be great.

pcmanbob
Posts: 13753
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:42 am

You might try the recommended update commands that you should have been using for about the last 2 years.

Code: Select all

sudo pt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
they pull in all the dependences for the updating packages.

ref... https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... #using-apt
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 33344
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:09 am

trlaing wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:54 am
Please stop doing updates that mess with the official touchscreen!

I have a Raspberry PI4 4GB with official touchscreen. All was working fine until updating (sudo apt upgrade) a couple of weeks ago when the touch panel was rotated 180 deg without warning - after adding lcd_rotate=2 and rotating the display in desktop all was working again.

Now, this morning after updating again, the touch panel was rotated 180 deg but the display was fine, so I tried to edit /boot/config.txt to find it was no longer there and is now /boot/firmware/config.txt, so edited that the lcd_rotate=0 and guess what...the display does not even turn on regardless of what I change lcd_rotate= to. I can't even find the backlight location to try and switch it on that way (used to be '/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power', then '/sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power', now I have no idea). The Pi boots as I can connect using SSH.

Is there anywhere to find release notes for updates that are done using 'sudo apt upgrade'? This might help identify the problem. Any other suggestions would be great.
What version of the OS are you using? It's sounds like Bookworm, so pretty recent, but that has always used /boot/formware/config.txt so I would have expected you to have had to use that a couple of weeks ago.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7402
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:14 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:09 am
trlaing wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:54 am
Please stop doing updates that mess with the official touchscreen!

I have a Raspberry PI4 4GB with official touchscreen. All was working fine until updating (sudo apt upgrade) a couple of weeks ago when the touch panel was rotated 180 deg without warning - after adding lcd_rotate=2 and rotating the display in desktop all was working again.

Now, this morning after updating again, the touch panel was rotated 180 deg but the display was fine, so I tried to edit /boot/config.txt to find it was no longer there and is now /boot/firmware/config.txt, so edited that the lcd_rotate=0 and guess what...the display does not even turn on regardless of what I change lcd_rotate= to. I can't even find the backlight location to try and switch it on that way (used to be '/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power', then '/sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power', now I have no idea). The Pi boots as I can connect using SSH.

Is there anywhere to find release notes for updates that are done using 'sudo apt upgrade'? This might help identify the problem. Any other suggestions would be great.
What version of the OS are you using? It's sounds like Bookworm, so pretty recent, but that has always used /boot/formware/config.txt so I would have expected you to have had to use that a couple of weeks ago.
+1 w.r.t. to O.S. version. IIRC config.txt "rotations" no longer "operated" in Bullseye (onwards) and Screen Editor/Layout settings need to be adjusted instead as I did here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... ower_Cable
(I haven't had the opportunity to retest with Bookworm or the P5 yet - 'though I now have a P5 display cable )
Trev.
Testing Bookworm on a Pi5 and a P4B but running Bullseye or Buster on other (older) Pi's and the P400 I often post from. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm for notes & screenshots etc.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am

jamesh wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:09 am

What version of the OS are you using? It's sounds like Bookworm, so pretty recent, but that has always used /boot/formware/config.txt so I would have expected you to have had to use that a couple of weeks ago.
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that the OS is Bookworm. I had no touchscreen issues with any of the older OS releases. I automatically update and upgrade daily, which I guess is causing the issues with changes made.
Last edited by trlaing on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:09 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:14 pm
+1 w.r.t. to O.S. version. IIRC config.txt "rotations" no longer "operated" in Bullseye (onwards) and Screen Editor/Layout settings need to be adjusted instead as I did here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... ower_Cable
(I haven't had the opportunity to retest with Bookworm or the P5 yet - 'though I now have a P5 display cable )
Trev.
I have rotated the display in the desktop, but it does not rotate the touch panel, only the display. I am having to use a mouse to navigate just now, so only need to find out how to rotate the touch panel now.

By the way, switching off at the wall, waiting 30 second and switching back on again seemed to allow the display to power on again, but I am scared to reboot in case it doesn't power next time. When the display does power on, the backlight file (/sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power) is there again.

I have the official Raspberry Pi 4 power supply connected to the Pi and the black and red cables powering the display board from the Pi.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:44 am

So, I have the display rotated within the desktop, but the touch panel is still inverted. How can I simply rotate the touch panel 180 degrees without rotating the display again? It might be worth noting, when I shutdown or reboot the Pi, the scrolling text on the display is inverted.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 16124
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:35 pm

Bookworm on a Pi4 will be using Wayfire by default.

The Screen Configuration app allows you to associate the touch overlay to the display (right click on the DSI-1 screen, "Touchscreen", and tick "10-0038 generic ft5x06 (79)"). It needs a restart of Wayfire to be applied, but if done then touch orientation will follow screen orientation.
It writes the configuration ~/.config/wayfire.ini with a section

Code: Select all

[input-device:10-0038 generic ft5x06 (79)]
output = DSI-1
so that assignment is persistent.
Rotation will be also set in that file via a section similar to

Code: Select all

[output:DSI-1]
mode = 800x480@60049
position = 0,0
transform = 180
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:57 pm

6by9 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:35 pm
Bookworm on a Pi4 will be using Wayfire by default.

The Screen Configuration app allows you to associate the touch overlay to the display (right click on the DSI-1 screen, "Touchscreen", and tick "10-0038 generic ft5x06 (79)"). It needs a restart of Wayfire to be applied, but if done then touch orientation will follow screen orientation.
It writes the configuration ~/.config/wayfire.ini with a section

Code: Select all

[input-device:10-0038 generic ft5x06 (79)]
output = DSI-1
so that assignment is persistent.
Rotation will be also set in that file via a section similar to

Code: Select all

[output:DSI-1]
mode = 800x480@60049
position = 0,0
transform = 180
I have the same text in the wayfire.ini file already. However, like you say, ticking "10-0038 generic ft5x06 (79)" fixes the inverted touch panel issue, thank you! I'd like to point out that it is not as simple as right clicking the screen to tick it - here is how I did it:
Raspberry button > Preferences > Screen Configuration
Layout > Screens > DSI-1 > Touchscreen > click on "10-0038 generic ft5x06 (79)" > Apply
(Go back and do the same to check it is ticked and then reboot)

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:29 am

Is there a way to restart the touchscreen driver/software? Often when I come into work on a Monday morning, the touch panel is not responding. Everything works fine apart from that (including the display). The only solution I have just now is to reboot remotely or plug in a mouse to reboot.
Last edited by trlaing on Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 16124
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:07 am

trlaing wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:29 am
Is there a way to restart the touchscreen driver/software? Often when I come into work on a Monday morning, the touch panel is not responding. Everything works fine apart from that. The only solution I have just not is to reboot remotely or plug in a mouse to reboot.
Just to be clear, the display is running, but the touch overlay isn't responding?
I have no hypothesis for why that would happen, but you could "sudo rmmod edt-ft5x06" and "sudo modprobe edt-ft5x06" to unload and reload just the touch overlay driver.
If it's the whole display going down, then there are fewer options as unloading and reloading DRM drivers is a bit of a mine-field.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:23 am

6by9 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:07 am
Just to be clear, the display is running, but the touch overlay isn't responding?
I have no hypothesis for why that would happen, but you could "sudo rmmod edt-ft5x06" and "sudo modprobe edt-ft5x06" to unload and reload just the touch overlay driver.
If it's the whole display going down, then there are fewer options as unloading and reloading DRM drivers is a bit of a mine-field.
Just the touch panel not responding to touch, everything else is fine (including the display). A reboot fixes the issue. I'll try your suggestion next time it happens...

_travelrec_
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:20 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:38 pm

Have a similar issue with Pi5 and Waveshare 4.3" touch display, it works well and instantly without any tweak with freshly installed stock OS Bookworm from 2023-12-05 64bit full desktop. As soon as I update automatically and reboot the system (since beginning of February ´24), display is not supported anymore, e.g. does not work at all. Sometimes the screen is recognized (shows up on desktop as DSI-1, I can move the mouse out of the main monitor and can move it back), but it is dark and without any content.
Last edited by _travelrec_ on Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:40 am

trlaing wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:23 am
6by9 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:07 am
Just to be clear, the display is running, but the touch overlay isn't responding?
I have no hypothesis for why that would happen, but you could "sudo rmmod edt-ft5x06" and "sudo modprobe edt-ft5x06" to unload and reload just the touch overlay driver.
If it's the whole display going down, then there are fewer options as unloading and reloading DRM drivers is a bit of a mine-field.
Just the touch panel not responding to touch, everything else is fine (including the display). A reboot fixes the issue. I'll try your suggestion next time it happens...
Yes, thank you, this worked. My touches were not sensed this morning and running these two commands sorted it. I have added the following lines to my crontab to hopefully prevent this form happening in the future:

Code: Select all

0 8 * * * sudo rmmod edt-ft5x06
1 8 * * * sudo modprobe edt-ft5x06

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 16124
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:00 am

trlaing wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:40 am
Yes, thank you, this worked. My touches were not sensed this morning and running these two commands sorted it. I have added the following lines to my crontab to hopefully prevent this form happening in the future:

Code: Select all

0 8 * * * sudo rmmod edt-ft5x06
1 8 * * * sudo modprobe edt-ft5x06
I there anything logged in the kernel log (dmesg)?
The kernel shouldn't stop polling the touch controller after a period, but it's possible there is a timer overflow lurking. Unloading and reloading the driver may do a reset on the touch chip (I'd need to check the code), but it also shouldn't just stop responding.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:26 am

6by9 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:00 am
trlaing wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:40 am
Yes, thank you, this worked. My touches were not sensed this morning and running these two commands sorted it. I have added the following lines to my crontab to hopefully prevent this form happening in the future:

Code: Select all

0 8 * * * sudo rmmod edt-ft5x06
1 8 * * * sudo modprobe edt-ft5x06
I there anything logged in the kernel log (dmesg)?
The kernel shouldn't stop polling the touch controller after a period, but it's possible there is a timer overflow lurking. Unloading and reloading the driver may do a reset on the touch chip (I'd need to check the code), but it also shouldn't just stop responding.
There is nothing I can see related to the touch panel in the kernel log (just lots of iptables entries), but it only goes back a couple of hours so probably not long enough now.

However, this is in the log and I don't know what it is:

Code: Select all

[Wed Feb 21 10:33:16 2024] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 3
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=4c4a, idProduct=4155, bcdDevice= 1.00
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: Product: UACDemoV1.0
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Jieli Technology
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 1120040804060316
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] input: Jieli Technology UACDemoV1.0 as /devices/platform/scb/fd500000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4:1.2/0003:4C4A:4155.0002/input/input5
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] hid-generic 0003:4C4A:4155.0002: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [Jieli Technology UACDemoV1.0] on usb-0000:01:00.0-1.4/input2
I have not plugged in any USB devices today, in fact I hadn't even touched the Pi since 08:40 today.

I do have the following lines in my crontab which affect the display:

Code: Select all

# turn screen off
0 16 * * * sudo sh -c 'echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'
# turn screen on
0 8 * * 1-5 sudo sh -c 'echo "0" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'
And I have configured the Pimoroni fan shim button to switch on and off the display using the following code:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import signal, os
from fanshim import FanShim

fanshim = FanShim()

def getScreenState():
    return os.popen("cat /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power").read().strip() == "0"

def toggle_screen():
    if getScreenState():
        os.system("""sudo sh -c 'echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'""")
    else:
        os.system("""sudo sh -c 'echo "0" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'""")

@fanshim.on_release()
def release_handler(was_held):
    toggle_screen()

try:
    signal.pause()
except KeyboardInterrupt:
    pass
I'm not sure if this could cause any issues.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 16124
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:37 am

trlaing wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:26 am
There is nothing I can see related to the touch panel in the kernel log (just lots of iptables entries), but it only goes back a couple of hours so probably not long enough now.

However, this is in the log and I don't know what it is:

Code: Select all

[Wed Feb 21 10:33:16 2024] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 3
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=4c4a, idProduct=4155, bcdDevice= 1.00
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: Product: UACDemoV1.0
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Jieli Technology
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 1120040804060316
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] input: Jieli Technology UACDemoV1.0 as /devices/platform/scb/fd500000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4:1.2/0003:4C4A:4155.0002/input/input5
[Wed Feb 21 10:33:17 2024] hid-generic 0003:4C4A:4155.0002: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [Jieli Technology UACDemoV1.0] on usb-0000:01:00.0-1.4/input2
I have not plugged in any USB devices today, in fact I hadn't even touched the Pi since 08:40 today.
That appears to be a sound card that also has a Human Interface Device (HID) element, hence registering as an input device.
Why it disconnected and reconnected is an interesting question - possibly a power glitch.
trlaing wrote:I do have the following lines in my crontab which affect the display:

Code: Select all

# turn screen off
0 16 * * * sudo sh -c 'echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'
# turn screen on
0 8 * * 1-5 sudo sh -c 'echo "0" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'
And I have configured the Pimoroni fan shim button to switch on and off the display using the following code:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import signal, os
from fanshim import FanShim

fanshim = FanShim()

def getScreenState():
    return os.popen("cat /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power").read().strip() == "0"

def toggle_screen():
    if getScreenState():
        os.system("""sudo sh -c 'echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'""")
    else:
        os.system("""sudo sh -c 'echo "0" > /sys/class/backlight/10-0045/bl_power'""")

@fanshim.on_release()
def release_handler(was_held):
    toggle_screen()

try:
    signal.pause()
except KeyboardInterrupt:
    pass
I'm not sure if this could cause any issues.
Updating the backlight shouldn't have any interaction with the touch controller.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

trlaing
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with official touchscreen no display after update 02/02/2024

Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:40 am

6by9 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:37 am
Updating the backlight shouldn't have any interaction with the touch controller.
I wouldn't have thought so. What about the USB disconnect - any idea what that is?

Return to “Official Display”