Potatosalad

Suitable for ISS project?

Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:24 am

Hello Pico People

I'm currently doing a industry project at university about a pump control, which is to be used in a research project at the ISS (using the ICE cubes service). The project is to replace the current pump control with a digital motor controller and I thought about using the RP2040 due to its availability and that I've already worked with it. I've read through the legal disclaimer, but I'm not really sure about the ISS environment.

Has anybody worked with the RP2040 in the ISS environment or can anybody tell me if the MCU is reliable enough for it?

B.Goode

Re: Suitable for ISS project?

Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Potatosalad wrote:
Hello Pico People

I'm currently doing a industry project at university about a pump control, which is to be used in a research project at the ISS (using the ICE cubes service). The project is to replace the current pump control with a digital motor controller and I thought about using the RP2040 due to its availability and that I've already worked with it. I've read through the legal disclaimer, but I'm not really sure about the ISS environment.

Has anybody worked with the RP2040 in the ISS environment or can anybody tell me if the MCU is reliable enough for it?

The RP2040 microcontroller is specifically mentioned at this Raspberry Pi website. You might find a link there to someone who knows about ISS. https://www.raspberrypi.com/for-industry/space/

There is a long set of References from which you might gain some insights.
Beware of the Leopard

Potatosalad

Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:29 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:25 pm
Potatosalad wrote:
Hello Pico People

The RP2040 microcontroller is specifically mentioned at this Raspberry Pi website. You might find a link there to someone who knows about ISS. https://www.raspberrypi.com/for-industry/space/

There is a long set of References from which you might gain some insights.
Ah, should have looked a bit better. I guess based on the page, as they recommend the RP2040, it could be used for the project. I've contacted the ICE cubes services and received a guideline on what is allowed and what not, so I'm going through this first. But thank you for your quick response!

bensimmo

Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:58 pm

There's two Raspberry 4's up there too. Nothing mission critical though.

dthacher

Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:58 pm

They would just rework it. Radiation hardening has multiple software and hardware implications. The initial concept is likely capable on non-hardened hardware. I would be looking at hardware architecture. Overall system architecture would have multiple safeguards.

There is no way the RP2040 is rated for this environment. However there are system architectures which can correct this. I do not know how much fault testing is done at production. Therefore the RP2040 likely requires special permission for certain industries. (Same with most components.)

Likely would prefer MCU over MPU for this. (Fault tolerance of software is more manageable.)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:56 pm

There's lots of stuff "up there" that isn't strictly rated for the environment, but gets used anyway (No, I cannot say what, but more than one company use Pi stuff on satellites). This is a University project, so not going to have the same hardening requirements as more mission critical stuff.

I would have thought the RP2040 would be fine. I'd go with triple redundancy (as per SpaceX) and voting rather than hardened electronics. The chips are cheap enough.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “General”