Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Please can some one tell me how to do a piping character | on a keyboard

Cheers

Jim JKla

Re: Piping

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 pm

What nationality is your Keyboard ;)

Mine is UK standard and the pipe symbol is shift \
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

valije

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 pm

If you are in a console, just use alt + 124

(124 is the entry of | in the ASCII table in decimal).

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Almost certainly this is a keyboard configuration problem. The RaspPi defaults to the 102-key keyboard, which differs from the 101-key US keyboard by having an extra key with "|" on it.

Search the forum for "keyboard configuration".

Jim JKla

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:02 pm

This would be a keyboard configuration problem if the OP had actually told us which keyboard he was using. :lol:

As it is I believe it's more of a hunt and pack keyboard issue. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

evan chime

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:16 am

Altgr ~ did it. My keyboard is perixx USB . I don't know the nationality though. Thanks guys for the concern

jojopi

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am

evan chime wrote:Altgr ~ did it.
And the backslash, which you are likely to be missing as well, may be on AltGr minus.

But this does not change the fact that you are using the wrong layout. If you cannot type \ and | without AltGr, then your keyboard has fewer physical keys than your software layout requires, or the layout is not suitable for programming.

(Also, traditionally AltGr ` in a UK layout should produce ¦, not |. You are just lucky that the layout in Linux gives you two copies of ASCII bar instead, and relegates the useless EBCDIC character to AltGr Shift |, which you cannot type.)

RichardBronosky

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:46 pm

jojopi wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am
evan chime wrote:Altgr ~ did it.
And the backslash, which you are likely to be missing as well, may be on AltGr minus.

But this does not change the fact that you are using the wrong layout. If you cannot type \ and | without AltGr, then your keyboard has fewer physical keys than your software layout requires, or the layout is not suitable for programming.

(Also, traditionally AltGr ` in a UK layout should produce ¦, not |. You are just lucky that the layout in Linux gives you two copies of ASCII bar instead, and relegates the useless EBCDIC character to AltGr Shift |, which you cannot type.)
This save me! Thank you for taking the time to give this answer. I am developing a custom init process and cannot do the "change locale and reboot" process which is the Best Way™
-- Bruno Bronosky
1x RPi 1 (B)
1x RPi 1+ (B)
2x RPi 2
11x RPi 3
4x RPi Zero W
2x RPi camera module
3x AIY Voice kits
https://github.com/RichardBronosky/pi-gen-extender
https://github.com/RichardBronosky/raspbian-boot-setup

Return to “General discussion”