werner

Re: Debian - Asterisk - Freepbx

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi guys....

I've just finished building a freepbx pi using Liam's debian from the 19th..

Would anybody be interested in an image? It is a bit rough-n-ready for a first attempt, but the important bits all work fine.

I have included an extension already set up, as well as an outbound trunk/route to our sip servers, and just got an email ok from the Director to "ok" using this for testing.

What it means to the Pi community: Instant PABX

Download and install image, power up pi...wait around 10 minutes....connect to pi ip address with a softphone e.g. xlite on the exntension 300 and go make some calls:-)

I've only got the go ahead for outbound uk 01 and 02 codes, and calls are limited to 40 second in length to prevent abuse, but will give you guys the chance to sort out any NAT issues you may have, as well as to generally just play around and have fun.

Let me know if there is any interest in this and I will up the image somewhere.

werner

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:40 am

I've gone ahead and uploaded the image, please read http://www.sol4.co.uk/raspberr.....available/ for instructions on what this can do..

linker3000

Sat May 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Werner,

Thanks for providing the image but I can't extract it from the rar file either under Linux or Windows - I've downloaded it three times on different computers and just get non-helpful errors like 'incorrect parameter'.

Can you check out the file.

Ta!

TRS

Thu May 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi Werner

I've just fired up your image on my Pi and am really pleased that someone has saved me the effort of having to figure out how to get FreePBX going on Debian. Thanks so much, I'm very grateful for your efforts!

Can I ask though, you've installed a somewhat old version of FreePBX (well, not super old, but it's not 2.10.x) and I'm curious as to why you used that release.  Any reason why I shouldn't upgrade it to 2.10.x myself?

Thanks!

TRS

Mon May 14, 2012 11:19 am

I've started to figure out why venturing past FreePBX, to newer versions, is a bad idea.

Asterisk 1.8 is required, and it's not available in package form. You have to compile it yourself. Which I am a bit useless at... (I can't get it to compile for ARMv61 architecture)

I've also run into cases where the RPi runs out of RAM (particularly with FreePBX 2.9 and 2.10) and grinds to a halt while it swaps until it keels over... I saw a load average of 25 on one occasion, before pulling the power out. I tuned the apache config so that it runs less threads, and that seems to have helped somewhat.

werner

Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 pm

reasons:
1) the newer freepbx is more cpu intensive...I already switched off FOP to help a bit with this...as well as the asterisk 1.8 requirement.
2) it is relatively simple to upgrade freepbx modules, so any user can go to 2.9 and so on if they wanted to..the hard part is/was getting freepbx webui installed, following on to point 3..
3) the Pi is all about learning and discovering and playing...so I thought...get it to a workable baseline and make it easy to return to that...and then go forth and play and learn as much as you want...I dont do the "spoonfeeding" part very well:-) I left a semi-workable install script in /home/pi for anybody to enhance...it was responsible for about 90% of the installation. but it is by no means perfect or release ready.

that said, I personally dont think the image is as good as it can be, but I have been too busy at work to revisit it for now. Thank you to everybody that has downloaded it and made test calls.

TRS

Sun May 20, 2012 2:01 pm

werner wrote: I left a semi-workable install script in /home/pi for anybody to enhance...it was responsible for about 90% of the installation. but it is by no means perfect or release ready.
Thanks, I noticed that. Now that I have asterisk 1.8 compiled and working, and I've not been able to get FreePBX to work at all when installing it by hand, I'm about to modify that script a bit and try that method instead.

Return to “General discussion”