Peter Rainger

cups, Unable to open listen socket for address problem

Sun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Installed cups wwith the assistance of Penquintutor.
My IP address is, as expected 127:0:0:1 and used a wifi web entry of 127.0.0.1:631 and got to the cups pages which I completed without incident.
I tried to keep it simple - one printer (Epson PX720WD). No sharing. Cups appeared find the driver. All appeared to go well but when I tried to print a document a blank sheet came out of the printer. Printer config appeared to be OK
Looked at error log and it said;
"Unable to open listen socket for address. [v1:1:1:631] Family not supported by protocol.
Failed to create device. "
A long address followed by "daemon_launchhelp success"
It seemed to me the listen socket was at least one problem so looked at
"sudo nano /etc/cups/cupsd.config" to check listen instructions and found it empty.

I realise it will be difficult for anyone to give me precise advice in so complicated a situation but maybe some kind soul will point me in the right direction? Where do I go from hear?
Peter Rainger

Peter Rainger

Re: cups, Unable to open listen sockinstalet for address pro

Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 am

Discovered I had loaded the wrong driver. Did not realise there was a long list of possibilities. Near the bottom I found an exact match for my Epson PX720WD. Did an apt-get purge cups and then reloaded cups again. This time all went as described by Penguintutor and, lo and behold, it prints over the wifii connection. Problem solved thanks to Penguintutor.

Return to “Beginners”