Ivan Tham

Re: raspberrypi.org image install instructions should be upd

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:16 am

Arch did their job well on creating the images, but spreading distribution is not their main purpose.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:52 pm

I love Arch, but I've been convinced that rolling the images myself isn't the way to go. At least we still have Arch in NOOBS.

helvetican

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:53 am

I don't see what the difficulty is. I was able to get arch working by simply untarring the tar ball and using a GUI desktop to move the files to the SD card main partition, then moving the contents of the /boot folder to the boot partition. The only part that was slightly advanced was the repartioning of the SD card. :geek:

Joe Schmoe

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:36 am

helvetican wrote:I don't see what the difficulty is. I was able to get arch working by simply untarring the tar ball and using a GUI desktop to move the files to the SD card main partition, then moving the contents of the /boot folder to the boot partition. The only part that was slightly advanced was the repartioning of the SD card. :geek:
The focus is on how to do it if the only "computer" you have access to is Windows or Mac. Obviously, if you have access to a Linux system, then all is well and fine in your world.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:22 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
The focus is on how to do it if the only "computer" you have access to is Windows or Mac. Obviously, if you have access to a Linux system, then all is well and fine in your world.
Everyone who owns a RPi has access to a Linux computer so where's the problem.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:54 am

Everyone who owns a RPi has access to a Linux computer so where's the problem.
Indeed. Quite. I've made exactly that same point many times.

Once you've gotten some media to boot up on your Pi, you can never again say that you don't have access to a Linux machine.

Of course, that is also true of anyone who has (or has access to) any x86 box. They may see it as a Windows box, but we just see it as a not-yet-utilized Linux box. Give them a Live CD and away they go!
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 am

Yes, this does not affect regular Arch users at all. Again, the problem is that it's an inconvenience to the rest of us. When I want to use Arch, I can't install it like I would with any other supported distro.

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:14 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Yes, this does not affect regular Arch users at all. Again, the problem is that it's an inconvenience to the rest of us. When I want to use Arch, I can't install it like I would with any other supported distro.
Exactly. Folks simply won't bother with Arch. If they want a smaller Raspbian distribution they can go with raspian-ua-netinst (which has a easy to use downloadable *.img).
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

sdjf

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:39 pm

A few of the image mirrors still have the July 2013 and earlier Arch images in their downloads. See the list at ELinux. It looks like July 2013 was the last image available as a separate image, if you use one of these instead of the current tarball, you will need to update with pacman -Syu and reboot before installing any packages.

http://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi_D ... did=325688
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Candu

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 am

Just thought i would stop by and register for a quick response to this.

As im eventually going down the root (haha...) of an Arch vm on unraid hypervisor i wanted to get arch onto a rpi and do myself some learning. And what someone said earlier about learning with arch rings true for me with my experiances yesterday.

Im not sure why all the squabbling here, bit dissapointed that rpi people are not just rolling an image for folks like me who only have microsoft tools to hand (or tools that are not available for development / play). Especially puzzled by the rpi attitude as it took me, a total linux moron, all of a couple hours to create a fully updated backup image for myself

I am learning more things than I did in the debian os as there I was just blindly following guides. Now im more working from the wiki having made a backup image of the fresh install in case of idiot.

For the time being arch from noobs works well, with the understanding that you make it secure then do pacman -whatever to get yourself up to date..

Tl;dr i get why arch dont want to provide an image. Think that the rpi decission to not provide one is a mistake

sdjf

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Several things in response to your post. Read the other threads in this topic, a careful perusal of them shows that Arch was making images that the Foundation was not putting on the downloads page except once in a great while, and finally made a decision to stop doing so, I believe because of an ongoing lack of timely action on the part of the Foundation.

As far as people who only have Windows computers, once anyone has a Raspberry Pi that is running any distribution, they have a Linux computer! It means needing more than one SD card, and one or more card readers for the Pi, but they no longer limited to Windows.

As a long time Linux user who has never touched Windows or Apple computers, I do agree that images are much easier to deal with. But older images are still available, I checked before posting that link. They simply are not available directly from the Foundation for Arch, except as part of NOOBs.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

DirkS

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

I checked before posting that link. They simply are not available directly from the Foundation for Arch, except as part of NOOBs.
Are you talking about old, single install (no Noobs) Arch images, such as the one from last month at http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/arch/images/?

Gr.
Dirk.

DirkS

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 pm

pepedog wrote:Not an image.
Last one here
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/arch/i ... 014-06-22/
Give people a chance to figure something out themselves. I mainly wanted to show that a long history of images is still available...

Gr.
Dirk.

hashheadz

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:00 pm

any one want updated image...via torrent to via my arch ftp server , ill happily make one

pepedog

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:46 pm

If you do this
bs=1k
count=1800

plugh

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:53 am

The Arch files the current NOOBS is using are oldish. Attached is an easy-to-use alternative that always installs the 'latest' Arch for pi kits.

Grab a copy of NOOBS lite, expand it, drop the files on your card. Then expand the attached zip and drop 'os' onto the card. When you boot the pi you'll have two new os choices at the NOOBS menu, Arch-Rpi and Arch-Rpi2.

Instead of pulling files from raspberrypi.org, these 'os' entries pull directly from http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ and complete the setup steps from within noobs. (And yes, you can install other os's alongside). Of course your pi will need a network connection...

plugh

grrr: had to delete the marquee pics from the attachment to get it below forum size limit, it should still work without them though...
Attachments
os.zip
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 643 times

Return to “Arch”