keith.b

Close Chromium Full Screen Browser

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi folks,

I've modified the tip in 'Auto open browser on boot', posted by 16vmonkey on Wed Jun 13 2012, to open the Chromium browser in full-screen window mode, by placing
chromium-browser --kiosk http://www.pinkpotato.co.uk
(suggested by bredman, but using our site)

in ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

This works fine and goes instantly to the correct web page.

The only snag is that I can't see any way to return to terminal mode in order to further modify the start up files (can't even browse to another site). The shut-down button at the bottom right is no longer visible.

Perhaps someone can help, and further suggest how I might open sites in a more normal mode?

Thanks!

Nr90

Re: Close Chromium Full Screen Browser

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Tried ctrl + alt + F2 ?

keith.b

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Nr90.

Unfortunately, Ctrl + Alt + F2 didn't work. Maybe it's the Apple USB keyboard that I borrowed.

Luckily, Ctrl + Esc did bring up a menu that included the 'Logout' option, which DID work, so I'm up and running again.

Now I have to figure out how to stop the screeen-saver kicking in, for a shop-window project I'm working on. Any thoughts?

Regards & thanks, Keith

jamesb0nd

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Keith,

I have 2 questions. Where did you get Chromium? When I tried to download it from apt-get, it says its just a placeholder.

2, where do you place things to get them to autoload? The equivalent of a start-up folder in windows.

Thanks!

keith.b

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi james

1. To install Chromium I just followed the instructions on the following site: http://tinyurl.com/8yhck22 (abreviated by tinyurl.com). Worked like a dream, 1st time!

2. To automatically invoke the 'startx' command, open and edit the following file from the command line (after the $ prompt):
sudo nano /etc/profile
(sudo grants superuser permissions, nano opens a simple file editor)
scroll to the end of the existing code and add the following line:
startx
Press Ctrl + X to save, followed by 'Y', followed by 2 x Carriage Return

3. To autostart eg. Chromium, you have to create a file called autostart using the following syntax from the command line:
sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
(the ~ signifies the user's home directory, typically: /home/pi/ )
now add something like the following line:
@chromium-browser http://www.pinkpotato.co.uk (substitute your own default web site!)
Press Ctrl + X to save, followed by 'Y', followed by 2 x Carriage Return

NB. if you add '#' to the start of the line, that line is ignored (remarked out), so I have two or three lines in my autostart, with only the active line beginning @.... This enables me to try out various configurations without losing the ones that work!

eg:
# @chromium-browser --kiosk http://www.pinkpotato.co.uk
(this line is inactive, but by removing the #, chromium will open and occupy the whole screen - which is what I can now abort by using 'Ctrl + Esc' followed by 'Logout' x 2).

4. To automatically Login and enter the default password, you have to be a bit more careful and edit the following file:

sudo nano /etc/inittab

However, there's quite a lot of code in there; I suggest you google 'Raspberry Pi Auto Login' to get the complete run-down .

Have fun!

imike

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Last edited by imike on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

imike

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Alt + F4 works for me

Spid

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:56 pm

imike wrote:Alt + F4 works for me
Why are you trawling a thread posted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:56 pm and totally out-of-date ?
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

imike

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 am

Spid wrote:
Why are you trawling a thread posted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:56 pm and totally out-of-date ?
Because I found this thread when running into the same problem and found the answer which was not yet mentioned here...

julian_1234

Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 am

imike wrote:
Spid wrote:
Because I found this thread when running into the same problem and found the answer which was not yet mentioned here...
And I have just found this useful today ..... thanks.

steinhausler

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Likewise. Alt-F4 works well and doesn't require a logout.

davss

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:36 pm

It's surprising that same combination to close Windows in M$ Windows works on Pi but glad you posted it as I was stuck myself on a kiosk screen scratching my head and trying out different more complex combinations mentioned by person who did the system install.

Cheers!

Return to “Beginners”