sro

Raspberry Pi 2: Solid red + green light; no video output

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:07 am

I have a 64 gb SanDisk SDXC SD card, which I've loaded with NOOBs 1.3.12. However when I attempt to boot to it, I get a solid red + green light and no video output.

Stuff I've tried:
  • Formatting the card with sd formatter, "overwrite format" selected.
  • "Logical address adjustment" in the above step (tried it with both on and off)
  • Formatting the disk with disk utility
  • Tried a B+ and a 2: both don't work
  • Checked the card in the list of compatible cards, I think it's there. This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobile-Mi ... B0081EAK34
  • Tried loading NOOBs on an 8gb card (works great), so I know the card is the issue...
Now I'm trying a full format with mac disk utility MS-DOS(FAT) format. Also downloading NOOBs 1.4.0...we'll see in about 30 minutes if that works.

sro

Re: Raspberry Pi 2: Solid red + green light; no video output

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:15 am

Update: Using Apple's "Disk Utility" tool with "MS DOS (FAT)" selected fixed the issue...perhaps last time I formatted with exFAT.

I also believe the sd formatter (recommended formatting tool) uses exFAT for 64GB cards, making them incompatible with the Raspberry Pi. If that's the case perhaps the docs should be updated (http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/).

It looks like these docs are more likely to work (haven't confirmed): http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ges/mac.md

DirkS

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 am

In case of boot problems the first stop should be the 'boot problem sticky' (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151)
The '64GB problem' is mentioned there.
See also 'pitfalls' sticky 9http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p677748)

bbingham81

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:11 am

I am having a problem with a Raspberry Pi 2. The issue is when I go to boot up the Pi I get a solid red and green LED, no blinking green. I know this is not an SD issue because I tried the same SD on a different Raspberry 2 and it booted right up and work fine. I have tried swapping out different power cords with the problematic Raspberry but none of that worked. This Raspberry pi did work originally, with the same sd card, that is what is so strange. Any ideas for how to fix this problem? Do I have a technical issue with the pi itself?

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:03 am

Does the main chip on your RPi get very hot very quickly? If it does you may have damaged your RPi beyond repair.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

bsayici

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Same issue w/ brand new raspberry pi 2 B v1.1. Already Checked the related stickies. Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

Solid green & red light at startup, blank display.
Reformatted (overwrite) sdcard as FAT32 with SDFormatter and reinstalled Noobs.
Tested my Sandisk sdcard and power cable on a rpi B+ and they both work.
Tried another sdcard that also works on the other raspberry pi but same thing, solid red&green, blank display.
Put a small piece of paper with the sdcard into the sd slot to test for bent pins issue but nothing.

Thanks for help.

drgeoff

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 pm

bsayici wrote:Same issue w/ brand new raspberry pi 2 B v1.1. Already Checked the related stickies. Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

Solid green & red light at startup, blank display.
Reformatted (overwrite) sdcard as FAT32 with SDFormatter and reinstalled Noobs.
Tested my Sandisk sdcard and power cable on a rpi B+ and they both work.
Tried another sdcard that also works on the other raspberry pi but same thing, solid red&green, blank display.
Put a small piece of paper with the sdcard into the sd slot to test for bent pins issue but nothing.

Thanks for help.
Are you using a NOOBS that is more recent than about February 2015? Any OS older than that will not work on a RPi2.

Always use the latest available download when having a not booting problem.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Seanzky

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:53 am

I have the exact same problem and have tried the exact same troubleshooting steps. It does not heat up at all but both lights remain steady. I've also tried with nothing else connected but power. Same results.

drgeoff

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 am

Seanzky wrote:I have the exact same problem and have tried the exact same troubleshooting steps. It does not heat up at all but both lights remain steady. I've also tried with nothing else connected but power. Same results.
If you have the "exact same problem" then the exact same solution will fix it. If it does not, then either you have a different problem or you are not applying the solution properly.

To use NOOBS with a 64 Gbyte or larger card you must change its default exFAT format before copying the NOOBS files to it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Troubleshooting”