Daltanius

Raspbian, incorrect login

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi,

I feel like a total noob and I'm not far from that, however I'm not new to computers, linux, console etc.

Yesterday I downloaded Raspbian, put it on a 8 GB micro SD card using Unetbootin (on a windows machine) and got the B+ booting with no apparent errors (I created the bootable SD card 2 times from two computers). Right from the first boot I couldn't log in. As I read the default credentials are pi / raspberry, but they were not accepted. Instead I got an "incorrect login" message. I tried probably every combination of "pi" and "raspberry" with no luck. I'm 100% positive I haven't mistyped. I even tried over ssh ($ ssh pi@192.168.1.10) and copied the password "raspberry" from the documentation - "permission denied". I also checked the internets with no luck.

I see two possibilities: the default Raspbian login isn't pi/raspberry or I I'm making some silly mistake.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance

emgi

Re: Raspbian, incorrect login

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:45 pm

No clue as to where you're from but this can hardly be anything else than a keyboard mismatch.
You may not have noticed the problem while you're hardly typing anything.
The Pi default is "UK" which has a QWERTY layout. With AZERTY you could be in trouble.

/emgi

Daltanius

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not it. In can verify the keyboard layout while typing the login. Also when trying over ssh I tried by copy-pasting the same password from the documentation with the same result.

It seems like the default username or password have changed. But I cannot verify it by myself unless ... I will try to find an earlier release of Raspbian and try again.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:22 pm

using Unetbootin (on a windows machine)
It is advisable to use Win32DiskImager to write the SD Card, UnetBootin is for creating bootable USB Drives...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... windows.md
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm

default id is pi, it's always been pi with a default password of raspberry and a default UK keyboard layout.

Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

chgus

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Are you shure you connect to your RPi and not any other device? A while ago i wasted some time after my DHCP assignment changed. :oops:

I tried a failed ssh login attempt x3 from my Mac and got the following response:

Code: Select all

ssh pi@raspberrypi
pi@raspberrypi's password: 
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password).
Does this match the behavior you see?

I also assume we are beyond caps lock etc since you copy/pasted as well...

But there is hope!
Since you're not new to linux you could mount your root partition on another system, create a new line in /etc/passwd without password linked to the pi account (same uid). That way you should at least be able to login to your RPi by console (kbd+screen) and continue further investigation from 'inside'. For example pi2::1000:1000:,,,:/home/pi:/bin/bash

The /etc/shadow line on my "working default" RPi looks like:
pi:$6$29FA6UQr$.OQ1vaVT5myYzDgnmB/v/E14Y3n0YsuHuLSa7Uc9FeXhjVnszd/tgOWYljKmu/OuErn9j4Fqe42rqAkXIBJHt.:15536:0:99999:7:::
Last edited by chgus on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daltanius

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Solved! Using Win32DiskImager did the trick. Unbelievable, everything seemed to be working correctly before apart from the log-in. Now also that works.

Thanks everybody, specially fruitoftheloom for the suggestion.

Return to “Beginners”