mung

What is the true processing power of the vc4 gpu?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:35 pm

I have been looking at gpu stuff recently and am becoming somewhat confused by the specs, the general consensus has been that the vc4 is old tech and that why its cheap, but I see specs saying 24GFLOP@250MHz and the config.txt allows overclocking @500MHz which seems stable(does this give 48GFLOPS?).

I saw this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR shows the SGX530 with 2 cores @1.6GFLOP which is the beagleboneblack gpu, and SGX543 with 4 cores@7.2GFLOP which is the iphone5 gpu.

Both those gpu are more recent than the vc4 yet do not seem much better, does anyone have real world test comparison of gpus?

I hear the new soon to be released beaglebone AM572x has 4 SGX544 gpu processors, what are the likely processing improvements from the new beaglebone?

Is it possible there could be multiple vc4 gpu cores on future broadcom socs?

W. H. Heydt

Re: What is the true processing power of the vc4 gpu?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:55 pm

mung wrote: I hear the new soon to be released beaglebone AM572x has 4 SGX544 gpu processors, what are the likely processing improvements from the new beaglebone?
That would be a question to ask on the Beaglebone forums.
Not unless someone wants to pay the needed development costs. As I understand it, Broadcom dropped their GPU development, "aborting" work on a VC5, which was supposed to be the follow-on to the VC4.

While it is very unlikely to happen, I suspect that, if work were to be done, it would be in the nature of a "die shrink" with associated increase in clock speed. If a reworked VC4 could be clocked normally somewhere above 500MHz (perhaps as much as 1GHz), with a hefty (50%?) overclock being possible on a good chip, then the VC4 might have a shot a doing a reasonable frame rate on a 4K decode.

Unfortunately, that would still leave new codecs out in all likelihood, making such an effort even less appealing than it might otherwise be.

Eventually (3 years? 5 years? 10 years?), the RPF will have to bite the bullet and start working with a different GPU, and write off all the work that has gone into wringing the most out of the VC4.

eriktheitalian

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm

I'm not hostile of raspberry. I'm using raspberry and love it. But i must see some real.

It's 25 gflops on paper. But i'm only remember qt 5.5's test cube for opengl es acceleration. Our opengl es api not compatible with glesgears. We cant run chromium opengles mode.

Broadcoms videocore gpu api compatibility is not good. Lıke videocore included samsung grand neo phone. Like vivante gpu included products.

Broadcom hired good coder for fix some. He is making vc4 kernel and gallium 3d driver. Now videocore's weak point is api compatibility. If u cant use gfops power is not important. When Anhold succes may be weak point turns hard point.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

eriktheitalian

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Power vr sgx 543 have hardware transform & lightning.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:07 pm

It's not a matter of "hating" a given SBC or not.

If the the access to the Pis GPU doesn't meet the criteria for what you're doing, and the access to the GPU of a different board does, then by all means use the other board. This applies to other features as well. As I've noted on many occasions, I use Pis where the features of the Pi meet my requirements and other boards where the Pi doesn't. A couple of months ago when running a Convention Registration system, I used 4 different SBCs from three different designers: Raspberry Pis for data input stations, a Cubieboard 2 for the primary server, a Cubieboard 1 for the backup server, and an Odroid-C1 for an NTP server.

I was looking at migrating the data entry stations from the Model B to the Model B+ this year. Then the Pi2B came out, so that has become the targeted SBC for this purpose. The feature I'm most after here is the improved power handling and the ability to hotplug USB devices. The improved CPU of the Pi2B is just frosting on the cake for this application.

Paeryn

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:18 pm

eriktheitalian wrote:I'm not hostile of raspberry. I'm using raspberry and love it. But i must see some real.
Real what? Real raspberries? :)
eriktheitalian wrote:It's 25 gflops on paper. But i'm only remember qt 5.5's test cube for opengl es acceleration. Our opengl es api not compatible with glesgears. We cant run chromium opengles mode.
Most, if not all GPUs manufacturers will quote the theoretical performance. Real world performance will almost always be lower.
The RPi's OpenGLES API should be 100% compatible with Khronos' specs - it has to pass their conformity tests. If glesgears doesn't work then I'd say it's glesgears at fault. More than likely glesgears is written expecting to be able to pass an X11 window to EGL which won't work on the RPi, the RPi requires you to pass a dispman window.
eriktheitalian wrote:Broadcoms videocore gpu api compatibility is not good. Lıke videocore included samsung grand neo phone. Like vivante gpu included products.
Where is VC_4's compatibility failing? It's fully compatible to the specs that it is advertised as supporting, namely OpenGLES1.1, OpenGLES2.0, OpenVG and EGL1.4 (I think it's 1.4, maybe 1.3)
eriktheitalian wrote:Broadcom hired good coder for fix some. He is making vc4 kernel and gallium 3d driver. Now videocore's weak point is api compatibility. If u cant use gfops power is not important. When Anhold succes may be weak point turns hard point.
I doubt you'd be able to make any more use of the processing power than what you can at the moment, you'd just be able to compile existing programs without having to make a few alterations to account for the fact that as it stands on the RPi, you create EGL windows on dispman - an entity higher up than X11 - rather than X11. The whole X11 screen is basically just a dispman window.
She who travels light — forgot something.
Please note that my name doesn't start with the @ character so can people please stop writing it as if it does!

eriktheitalian

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Paeryn wrote:
eriktheitalian wrote:I'm not hostile of raspberry. I'm using raspberry and love it. But i must see some real.
Real what? Real raspberries? :)
Raspbian default built in web browser using some type hardware acceleration api. This is special package for raspberry but lots of web page not working when fast scrool enabled.
Result not working but this is not videcore fault.

Chromium have opengles support. But not work over raspberry. Working with lastest mali drivers.
Result not working but this is not videocore fault.

There is some psp emulator problems. But this is not videocore fault.

Kwin_gles not working but this is not videocore fault.

Can u give sample for working known application with opengl es support ??? ( different than kodi because no one need kodi's ui performance )

I can get driver licence from driver school. But if i cant drive good police catch me and take my licence. I cant say "mr policeman i have licence". I cant say "but i can drive on test way of driver school"

We know lots of compatibility test or benchmark can be give great results with software cheats.

I'm not know vivante gpus pass khronos test. But if pass their gpu have lots of incompatibilites over android. They are using mali or nvidia or power vr sgx or adreno emulators for better gaming.

eriktheitalian

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:37 pm

mung wrote:I have been looking at gpu stuff recently and am becoming somewhat confused by the specs, the general consensus has been that the vc4 is old tech and that why its cheap, but I see specs saying 24GFLOP@250MHz and the config.txt allows overclocking @500MHz which seems stable(does this give 48GFLOPS?).

I saw this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR shows the SGX530 with 2 cores @1.6GFLOP which is the beagleboneblack gpu, and SGX543 with 4 cores@7.2GFLOP which is the iphone5 gpu.

Both those gpu are more recent than the vc4 yet do not seem much better, does anyone have real world test comparison of gpus?

I hear the new soon to be released beaglebone AM572x has 4 SGX544 gpu processors, what are the likely processing improvements from the new beaglebone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- ... v-t2190870
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/sams ... defined/16
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Broadcom-V ... 484.0.html

Are u talking about sgx544mp4 ? If u talking about 250mhz or more sgx544mp4 its easily beat videocore iv 500mhz. Real world performance absolutely better.

If u talking about sgx544mp1 depends application with resolution. This gpu very effective at low resolution.

Power vr using tile based deferred rendering. Have hardware texture lightining. Lots of mobile gpu showing smoke effects with dots. But power vr showing it like real smoke without dots. Also power vr extremely mature gpu.

eriktheitalian

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:05 am

mung wrote:I have been looking at gpu stuff recently and am becoming somewhat confused by the specs, the general consensus has been that the vc4 is old tech and that why its cheap, but I see specs saying 24GFLOP@250MHz and the config.txt allows overclocking @500MHz which seems stable(does this give 48GFLOPS?).

it's

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/11/07/ ... processor/

Its sgx 544mp2. if its clocked for 250mhz or higher then its better than videocore iv 500mhz. For real world. But ı'm not know about opensource driver of sgx.......

But this circuit is like realy expensive circuit....

If u need powerfull soc there is firefly board. Powerfull soc is not raspberry working class. They are not focusing powerfull soc. Their project goal is cheap linux computer.

Lots of android apps using opengl es default. Because its naturaly designed for mobile systems.

Lots of linux apps using opengl desktop. Because its naturaly designed for desktop.

Opengl desktop is not important for Android.
Opengl Es is not important for known Linux.

I can write here 500 android game opengles supported. :D No one can write 20 opengl es game for linux :D
I can write lots of opengl desktop supported game for known linux. But i cant write for android...

Too simple but hard for manuplate :D

Return to “General discussion”