fhlipZero

Hidden/Sneaky Cases

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 pm

I recently read about this http://hackaday.com/2012/07/22/power-pw ... -hat-uses/ in which someone hid a tiny computer in a power strip to be used for penetration testing purposes.

This made me think, what else would be good to hide a Pi in that someone would walk past and never take a second look at? best i can come up with so far would be a digital picture frame or try to replicate the power strip idea cause that was pure genius :P

Any one else look around them and see something that would be perfect to hide a pi in ?

Henley

Re: Hidden/Sneaky Cases

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 am

Hi
I love the idea of a 'Shy-pi'! Hidden in something nondescript...hmm I will get thinking...

FunkyMrMagic

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:21 am

Hide one in a PoE adapter:

The PwnPlug comes with a kit to make it look like some kind of air freshener, or power monitoring equipment.

Alternatively, what about "hiding in plain sight"? Add an LCD screen, with some arbitrary power-like figures showing kwh (or similar) and suddenly, "Look at me, I'm an Energy Monitor!":

Nu7s

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 am

Any double-row power-supply that can be opened would do probably. If you clear out the internals of some of the sockets you could easily make enough room for a PI and USB hub.

HB

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 am

There's any number of possibilities strewn around my living room. An A/V receiver. Its speakers. Another computer (in particular, I've kicked around the idea of building a Pi into a DVD-ROM drive casing, including a slot-loading laptop DVD drive so it remains apparently functional). A clock.

Ravenous

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:44 pm

fhlipZero wrote:Any one else look around them and see something that would be perfect to hide a pi in ?
Depends on what the raspi is being used for - does it need a keyboard/monitor/mouse plugged in? You could probably build it into either of the first two...

Or in a small compartment under the desk, or disguised as a plant pot (be careful when watering!) (can the raspi be describes as a Bonsai Computer?), or hidden behind an (old-fashioned) photograph, or in an old games console case, or whatever...

Complexes

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 pm

I've been using a hollowed out book as the case for my Raspberry Pi for a while, although I'm not using becuase it currently lacks a hole for ethernet. It was quite rushed, so it's not great quality but it's still pretty cool. I'll see if I can get some pictures if people want.

fhlipZero

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:19 pm

i definitely like the book idea, i have an old linux+ book that is huge and way out of date so that might work pretty good, The potted plant and a clock was really good too, could totally just hang up a clock and someone would never even think twice about it or touch it as long as the battery lasted long enough to go back and retrieve it

Plugs7

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 pm

From the moment I first heard of the Pi project, I always thought they were a natural fit for a Powerline/Homeplug adapter. The difference in size between an old blocky adapter & the latest slimline ones would graciously accommodate a pi plus whatever sensors you felt necessary, mains power & Ethernet would be natively available & you could extend the passthru concept to break out USB hubs, audio/video feeds, spycam(s) or whatever, & still have the mains socket(s) available.

Something like a supercharged version of this perhaps?: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Sh ... uctID=7645

dark_avenger

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 am

HB wrote:There's any number of possibilities strewn around my living room. An A/V receiver. Its speakers. Another computer (in particular, I've kicked around the idea of building a Pi into a DVD-ROM drive casing, including a slot-loading laptop DVD drive so it remains apparently functional). A clock.
In a 5.25" bay in another PC was my first thought. I've already gutted a DVD-ROM for the purpose.

Build log here:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=234321

neuseriverpaul

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:27 am

Remove face plate from wall outlet. Wire power brick straight into electrical circuit. Drop pi, brick and usb hard drive down into wall. Set up a new wall face plate with an cat 5 socket. Wire the ethernet cable from the pi into the back of it. This way you have a pi hidden in the wall, and you can access it through ssh by plugging in to the cat 5 socket.

Return to “Other projects”