Duhjoker

Incorrect login or password Pi 3

Tue May 03, 2016 2:39 am

I just booted up my Pi after installing a fresh Raspbian Jessie and I'm having a couple problems.

After doing a sudo raspi-config and rebooting cannot login. I have not changed the password or the login in any way. It first started doing this when it would boot to the desk top and I couldn't log out to to the cli and the password and login kept saying it was incorrect.

Now after running sudo raspi-config and making it boot to the cli I can't get past the password or login to be recognized.

Rive

Re: Incorrect login or password Pi 3

Tue May 03, 2016 3:19 am

Are you using special char in password like #? Or is it 'raspberry'? Type the password in the username and see if it is actually entering the correct char.

I noticed mine did that as it kept defaulting back to uk keyboard. I had to end up setting the keyboard default to us.
DNPNWO

Duhjoker

Tue May 03, 2016 3:22 am

Like i said i didnt change the password or login.

Ive tried raspberry and pi and pi and raspberry

Rive

Tue May 03, 2016 3:28 am

Duhjoker wrote:Like i said i didnt change the password or login.

Ive tried raspberry and pi and pi and raspberry
Default is:
pi
raspberry

So...
You expanded the file system after install of the OS?
You did not login as root (sudo su startx) ?
No one else has access to the pi3?

I suggest you restore your backup
DNPNWO

Duhjoker

Tue May 03, 2016 3:34 am

I just burned the image to the sd card my self 5 minutes before installing it into my Pi 3. The card was on my person the whole time.

I just re-installed it once more. Expanded the file system and yada yada then fed it the wi-fi password and did sudo apt-get and sudo apt-get -y git dialog.

After re-booting now it goes straight to the desktop and freezes. I've used two mice and two keyboards and nothing.

Rive

Tue May 03, 2016 3:39 am

Duhjoker wrote:I just burned the image to the sd card my self 5 minutes before installing it into my Pi 3. The card was on my person the whole time.

I just re-installed it once more. Expanded the file system and yada yada then fed it the wi-fi password and did sudo apt-get and sudo apt-get -y git dialog.

After re-booting now it goes straight to the desktop and freezes. I've used two mice and two keyboards and nothing.
So everything works fine until you try to install the retropie emulation?
DNPNWO

klricks

Tue May 03, 2016 3:40 am

Duhjoker wrote:I just burned the image to the sd card my self 5 minutes before installing it into my Pi 3. The card was on my person the whole time.

After expanding.... "yada yada" above MUST include reboot before attempting any updates.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPi OS Bullseye w/ Desktop OS.

Duhjoker

Tue May 03, 2016 3:43 am

No I wasn't trying to do retro pie those two update commands were with my set up guide that I can't find right now.

Yes I rebooted before the updates. It started freezing after installing the two commands though.

Rive

Tue May 03, 2016 3:48 am

Duhjoker wrote:No I wasn't trying to do retro pie those two update commands were with my set up guide that I can't find right now.

Yes I rebooted before the updates. It started freezing after installing the two commands though.
Then restore your backup and don't install and see if issue reoccurs
DNPNWO

Duhjoker

Tue May 03, 2016 3:50 am

I can't do that. It freezes after going to desktop. I have no mouse or keyboard control

Rive

Tue May 03, 2016 3:53 am

Duhjoker wrote:I can't do that. It freezes after going to desktop. I have no mouse or keyboard control
So you are unable to physically remove power, remove sdcard, put it into a reader on pc, clean it with something like diskpart 'clean' command, then write the backup image you should have made using something like diskimager?
DNPNWO

Duhjoker

Tue May 03, 2016 3:57 am

I don't know what's going on!!! Now I can use the mouse and keyboard and the password is working.

Sooooooooo weird I never had this problem on my 2 or zero.

Duhjoker

Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 am

Im gonna try to re burn the image again. For some reason it doesnt like any of my mice or keyboard.

dogoncouch

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:22 pm

I just figured out what might be your issue, after having this problem myself repeatedly.

I was setting the password, and THEN changing the keyboard layout. When you go from UK to US keyboard layout, a few special characters move to different parts of the keyboard, like @ and ". I noticed that the initial boot setup for the full GUI versions of raspbian set the keyboard layout before having you set your password, so I tried it in that order and it solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Return to “Troubleshooting”