Shazam0527

Anyone used RPi3 for Virtual Pinball Cabinet?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:00 am

I've built a fullsize Mame Arcade Cabinet and it turned out far better than I could have ever imagined. Now I'm itching to build a Virtual Pinball Machine - my question is, has anyone built one using the RPi3 yet? If so, what'd you use? I can't say how impressed and incredibly happy with the RPi 3 - and I'd love to continue using them to build our families gameroom :)

Let me know if anyone has any info regarding my question - I'd love to hear/see what you've done! :D

kwadroke

Re: Anyone used RPi3 for Virtual Pinball Cabinet?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm actually in the process of building a small Virtual Pinball Machine myself. Hope to have it working for a convention this coming weekend.

The biggest problem is the Software. There's only a couple of games that work on the Pi. I've been digging into this over the last few weeks without alot of success.
I'm using Emilia Pinball. I've tweaked the code to give a better top-down view than it comes with. The Graphics aren't as good as Visual Pinball or Future Pinball. There's only a handful of tables (2 with the original release on SourceForge, 4 with the new updates on GitHub). For you to play "existing" tables, they would have to be created for Emilia. There is an editor called pinedit for Emilia, but I've been having issues getting it to work on Linux on my Desktop, much less on the Pi.
Visual Pinball requires DirectX and Windows, but it is Open Source. I don't think running it under Wine and a X86 emulator will give it enough power to work properly. It would require significant code changes to work on the Pi, if it would run at all or enough to play.

I'm not sure what all games work with a top-down view in Console Emulators, but you might have better luck with that.

I wish I could say the state of Pinball was better. Since Webfoot Games is porting some of their games over, I'm hoping they will port some of their Pinball games with a top-down view to the Pi.

Shazam0527

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:17 am

Crud, that's what I was afraid of.. :( I've scoured the web for information regarding RPi3 and Pinball setups with no luck. I hate to admit defeat but it's looking like a pc is the only way to go with a virtual pinball machine - Really like the look and feel of Hyperspins setup..

Shazam0527

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:18 am

Oh! And I'd LOVE to see what you've built!!!!!

kwadroke

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:45 am

I'm sure you've come across this http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2015/11/t ... games.html
Nothing RPi exclusive, just Linux in General.

You'll end up having to run Windows for the Pinball "emulators".

There's been some people who use Raspberry Pi for handling elecrtro-mechancial devices for real pinball tables.

I did get pinedit (Emilia's editor) to compile, but it's missing some parts of the window that handles the wireframe drawing.

I'll post some pictures once I get it going.

kwadroke

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:13 am

I've created a fork of Emilia Pinball on GitHub. https://github.com/kwadroke/pinball
It supports a Tall screen (a rotated Wide Screen). Right now I have a hack in there to give better zoom for the X-axis. I'll be adding a zoom based off the aspect ratio after I get through with a Convention this weekend.

Currently it runs about 10-15 frames per second on a Pi 2. I'll be testing it on a Pi 3 shortly.
It requires the use of the Experimental GL Driver that come with Raspbian, along with Xorg. A XRandr script rotates the screen. I'll add that to the repo after this weekend as well.

kwadroke

Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 am

I'm only getting around 5 frames a second more on the Pi 3. It's running around 104% CPU (just over 1 core CPU usage) & 5% memory. I tried upping the memory split to 128MB, but no difference in the FPS.

kevcal

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Old Post I know but..
xrandr will kill your framerate.
It doesn't use the gpu, rotate in opengl instead.

beastlykings

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Anyone have any success in this RPi3 pinball idea? I'm really eager to get one of these up and running, and I'm hoping to stand on the shoulders of someone else haha

Moonmarch

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:25 pm

I saw this post a while back which gave me some ideas about a pinball machine there are pinball games available for MS-DOS which will run on the DOSBox emulator most of the pinball games will be 2 dimensional to move into 3 dimensional pinball games you would need to either use the WINE program to run Windows programs or install Windows on the RPI computer using a PC emulator, which should run faster on the RPI4 don't expect games to run at a high resolution I run DOSBox at 640x480 using the RPI3B+ you can adjust the full screen size of DOSBox to match the display aspect ratio of the pinball machine screen here is a link to a website that sells Epic Pinball:

Epic Pinball: The Complete Collection on GOG.com
https://www.gog.com/game/epic_pinball_t ... collection

This game does use DOSBox pinball games were released for several different game consoles including PC you can consider using a different console or PC emulator for better performance or more variety.

rzr

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:36 am

Hi, here is emilia pinball upstream I made a setup that work on pi

Some demos with my previous setup
https://www.rzr.cloudns.org/docs/pinbal ... sensor-rzr:
--
https://github.com/adoptware/pinball/issues/16# I am Looking for RPi4 testers for this pinball game

Return to “Gaming”