cangeceiro

no space left on device, but the disk is not full

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm

So i am trying to install django on my pi and when i run "easy_install django" it downloads the tarball and after processing reports the error "error: No space left on device". "df -h" reports that my / partition is 8 gigs and i am only using 2. and that im only using 29% of space. So the disc obviously isnt full.

As a side note, after receiving this error i used apt-get to install gpartd and that did not complain.

jojopi

Re: no space left on device, but the disk is not full

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:09 am

Do any of the filesystems in "df -m" report as 100% full? I would suspect /tmp, rather than /, since it is a small tmpfs, backed by swap. "export TMPDIR=/var/tmp" may persuade python to use /var/tmp, which is part of /, instead.

But you might be better to install with apt-get instead of easy_install. "sudo apt-get install python-django" looks like the base package, and there are many others reported by "apt-cache search django".

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 am

It is unlikely it is the resize issue uless you are taking the partition size from some value you manualy created at the start.

You do not say which image you have used.

If you have run rootfs manualy or have used it from the raspi-config script you can ignore this but if you are using Wheezy or a Rapbian install it may be worth reading through the raspi-config stuff here http://elinux.org/RPi_Wheezy_raspi-config in the noob stuff. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

paulfxh

Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Have you checked your inode table ?
I've been caught out before much as you describe with a "no-space" error despite "df -h" showing ample space available.
The problem was with the inodes which you can check with

Code: Select all

df -i
Unfortunately, if your inode table is full, there may not be too much you can do as it's non-extendable.
Read more about inodes here (http://216.147.18.102/unixfaq/filesyste ... node_table)

cangeceiro

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:22 pm

hmm, the tmp or inode issue sounds pretty feasible. Ill look some more tonight. i ended up getting around the issue by installing django from source. But it would still be nice to know what happened.

marcandela

Fri May 17, 2013 5:31 am

To over come this you should run the sudo raspi-config command and chose the expand_rootfs

http://www.ardupi.com/2013/01/raspberry ... ft-on.html

sprinkmeier

Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 am

It's possible that the filesystem is in pain, especially if the RasPi has been powered down without a proper shutdown.

You can force a fsck (file-system check) on reboot with:

Code: Select all

sudo touch /forcefsck ; sudo /sbin/reboot
To be honest I'd be surprised if this fixes things, but it's easy enough so probably worth doing just to rule it out.

Anonymousqqq

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 am

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

My problem was solved

Tia

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 am

Anonymousqqq wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 am
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

My problem was solved
Thanks for sharing how you solved it. This solved my problem I was getting with the disk being full.

Return to “Troubleshooting”