raindog308

Starting fbi at boot? Doesn't seem to work :-(

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:03 am

When I reboot my pi 3, I'd like it to start fbi automatically and show a slideshow.

I put the tvservice and fbi commands in rc.local and set it to mode 755. I reboot my pi and on the HDMI-attached screen I see the bootup, but it just sits at the login prompt. I know rc.local executes as I put some debug echos there, but when I login, fbi isn't running. It tried to run as I captured its output but it apparently died.

If I run the same commands from the shell after login, they work fine.

If I run the commands from cron, they don't work. However, if I login and fire up fbi, then a cron job that does a killall fbi and restarts it will work.

The actual fbi command is:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/fbi --autozoom --blend ${BLEND_MS} --vt 1 --timeout ${DELAY} --list ${file_list_name} --nocomments --noedit --noverbose -noonce >> ${LOG}
I've verified those variables are correct...regardless, the script works fine when running from a logged in ssh session vs. running from rc.local.

Thoughts? I'm rather perplexed.

stderr

Re: Starting fbi at boot? Doesn't seem to work :-(

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:32 am

raindog308 wrote:The actual fbi command is:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/fbi --autozoom --blend ${BLEND_MS} --vt 1 --timeout ${DELAY} --list ${file_list_name} --nocomments --noedit --noverbose -noonce >> ${LOG}
I've verified those variables are correct...regardless, the script works fine when running from a logged in ssh session vs. running from rc.local.
Put the code in the the pi user ~/.bashrc file and set the pi to automatically boot into the command line in the pi account. Remember that the /etc/rc.local file is set to bomb out at the slightest error.

raindog308

Re: Starting fbi at boot? Doesn't seem to work :-(

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:28 am

stderr wrote:Put the code in the the pi user ~/.bashrc file and set the pi to automatically boot into the command line in the pi account. Remember that the /etc/rc.local file is set to bomb out at the slightest error.
Thank you, that worked nicely.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”