piras77

SPI0 and DLEN in non-DMA mode (errata)

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am

Hi there,

The DLEN description in the datasheet (p.156) says: "This field is only valid for DMA mode (DMAEN set)".

However, it appears to me, the value has also an impact to non-DMA transfers. I.e. SPI0.SCLK is suspended (i.e. stays low) in non-DMA mode for the duration of a single clock pulse at the end of each byte-transfer if DLEN=0 or DLEN=1. There is no suspension with other values.

Attached are two pictures monitoring the transfer of 4 bytes (0x1,0x3,0x7,0xf); first with DLEN=0; second with DLEN=2. Channel 4 is MOSI, channel 5 is SCLK. The peripheral is directly controlled from user land.
dlen0.png
DLEN=0
dlen0.png (39.28 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
dlen2.png
DLEN=2
dlen2.png (39.22 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
Can anybody confirm or refute? Is this already documented somewhere? Thanks for your feedback!

joan

Re: SPI0 and DLEN in non-DMA mode (errata)

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

That is very interesting.

I will check later with pigpio.

I was aware of the inter byte gap (I time it at 1.5 clocks) but was not aware DLEN made any difference. If I can remove the gap from the pigpio implementation I would like to do so.

joan

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am

I can confirm this behaviour with the main SPI peripheral and setting DLEN=2.

I now use that value in pigpio so there should no longer be inter-byte gaps with the main SPI device.

dbosk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:10 pm

joan wrote:I can confirm this behaviour with the main SPI peripheral and setting DLEN=2.

I now use that value in pigpio so there should no longer be inter-byte gaps with the main SPI device.
I'm having a similar issue. Did you set DLEN=2 from the pigpio library?

juj

Sun May 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks a million for discovering this hardware quirk! About 6 months ago I was also observing this 9th clock sleep in my application with logic analyzer. Being able to author an easy perf win such as this made my day: https://github.com/juj/fbcp-ili9341/com ... d2a192945b .

Observed the 9th clock to disappear and so far have not seen any downsides to this, and mixing DMA and Polled SPI seems to work cleanly as well. The often discussed hypothesis about Polled SPI needing one clock to work its FIFO does not seem valid, and I'm starting to think this stall was added to do some kind of synchronization/stall for the DMA hardware when it's clocking in the last two bytes of its SPI transfer (it counts down the DLEN register live when transmitting), in order to paper over some timing issue or some other hardware fluke, and they might not have realized the effect it had to overall non-DMA transfers. Just a random guess though..

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”