immersion

Default login in Raspberry is not working

Tue May 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello,
I am using Raspberry Pi 2 with Minibian installed on it. The default login for Minibian is login: root and password raspberry. I had electricity outage for around 10 min, which happens once every few months. However, I have never had a problem with the login before. Today, the Raspberry was returning Login incorrect. I tried connecting with both SSH and directly connected monitor+keyboard. My phone has the credentials saved for quick SSH access, but it returned Access Denied. The Raspberry is discovered on the network and the websites hosted on it are working properly. There are no other users on the system.

What could have gone wrong? What are my options?

Thank you!

Martin Frezman

Re: Default login in Raspberry is not working

Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm

It doesn't really matter what happened or why - it is in the general category of: s(tuff) happens.

The important thing is how to fix it. There's a more or less standard list of things to try - in order to get access so that you can fix things. Which (if any) of the standard things have you tried?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

immersion

Tue May 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Beside the few different ways to access the system, I have tried the obvious "Turn it off and on again". I found a blog that describes how to reset the admin password by modifying cmdline.txt (here), but I was saving it as a last resort. I took the SD card to make a copy of the system, in case I need to modify something.

Is there anything else I can try?

I was curious if the power outage could have corrupted some system files. If that is the case I can add a battery which will save me some trouble in the future.

immersion

Tue May 09, 2017 8:26 pm

The issue was resolved by following the article I have mentioned above. It worked as described.
I am still not sure what exactly caused the problem, but it seems that everything is working now.

Note: After changing cmdline.txt and starting the system, it seemed that RPi was stuck and displayed random: nonblocking pool is initialized. However, I pressed Enter and managed to execute passwd.

Return to “Troubleshooting”