deejay01

Disk Mounting Problem?

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 am

Hi all. Noob here. I've just installed the latest release of raspbian jessie with pixel on a Pi 2 Model B. I'm having a problem mounting drives (I think) and - being fairly new at this - I'm having trouble even explaining the problem let alone solving it, so I hope a kind soul out there can make some sense out of my poor explanation and at least steer me in the direction of solving it.

I have a usb stick with a volume name of SANDISK128. Previously, the raspbian file manager contained a folder named SANDISK128, but now, for some reason, it shows 2 folders: SANDISK128 and SANDISK1281. I have no idea where SANDISK1281 came from but the files that were in the folder SANDISK128 are now appearing in the folder SANDISK1281. This is causing all sorts of issues because I have applications installed which don't work any more because they are (still) searching for files in the folder SANDISK128 even though they have moved - at least in some virtual way - to SANDISK1281.

I'm guessing that a new folder named SANDISK1281 has been created somehow in some way that I don't understand. I'm certain that I didn't create it. So what I would like is to return to the original situation where all the files show up in their original location (SANDISK128) and the folder named SANDISK1281 doesn't even exist. Maybe it's a disk mounting problem?

Thanks in advance...

DougieLawson

Re: Disk Mounting Problem?

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:59 am

You need to "eject" a USB stick before you pull it out or you risk damaging the filesystem on it. There's a little icon in the top right of the task bar that runs the "eject" program.

Shutdown, pull the USB stick, then reboot and your duplicate auto-mounter folders will disappear.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

deejay01

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:02 am

After ejecting the disk, shutting down, physically removing the usb and rebooting, the file manager shows that SANDISK128 still exists and is still empty. I was hoping / expecting that neither SANDISK128 or SANDISK1281 would appear. Is SANDISK128 the auto-mounter folder?

I have confirmed (using Windows Explorer) that the files are still physically stored on the usb, which has the volume label SANDISK128.

When I re- insert the usb (volume label SANDISK128) the folder named SANDISK1281 re-appears in the file manager, containing all the files. So I haven't made any progress. It is as though the PI has the folder names the wrong way around (and the auto-mounter folder still exists).

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:12 am

deejay01 wrote:After ejecting the disk, shutting down, physically removing the usb and rebooting, the file manager shows that SANDISK128 still exists and is still empty. I was hoping / expecting that neither SANDISK128 or SANDISK1281 would appear. Is SANDISK128 the auto-mounter folder?
I have confirmed (using Windows Explorer) that the files are still physically stored on the usb, which has the volume label SANDISK128.
When I re- insert the usb (volume label SANDISK128) the folder named SANDISK1281 re-appears in the file manager, containing all the files. So I haven't made any progress. It is as though the PI has the folder names the wrong way around (and the auto-mounter folder still exists).
The "original" folder/mount point may have been "left behind" because you didn't eject the drive. It may help to temporarily disable the filemanager's auto-mount option (see here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... Auto-mount ) and then, w/o the usb stick present, delete the old, empty, directory (possibly via rmdir from the command line rather than the file manager). Hopefully, once that's done, re-enabling auto-mount will re-create the folder with the original name (rather than "clone it" because it "already exists").
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

deejay01

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you FTrevorGowen. Problem solved! :)

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 am

The alternative was this. Open an LXTerminal window

sudo -i
umount /dev/sda1

PULL the stick, DO NOT do the next command with the stick inserted.
rm -rf /media/pi/SAN*
exit
exit
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

Return to “General discussion”