a18041967

Fake Pi Camera

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Is there any way to identify if I have a fake Pi camera? The reason for asking is that I puchased my first camera from PiHut and it shipped without any Pi packaging. Since then I have purchased a further two units from Amazon and these came in Pi packaging/boxes. Whilst comparing the different cameras the PiHut unit has similar text printed on the circuit board but missing items such ad ‘Made in ...’ Also the image size from the PiHut is appropriately 4.3mb compared with 2.6mb on the other two units. Do I have a fake, I have a photo of the two units but not able to attach to this post?

B.Goode

Re: Fake Pi Camera

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:43 pm

There have been two versions of the RPi Camera Module, V1 and V2. Maybe you have examples of each?

It is probably not your intent to cast doubt on the integrity of The Pi Hut, but it would be courteous to raise your concerns directly with them: I have always found them to be reliable.

a18041967

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Both camera are marked as v2.1 I have logged a request to PiHut I’m still in investigation mode and reason for asking the question.

DougieLawson

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm

V1 cameras could be supplied by other makers including Chinese fakes and there was a big market in those. The V2 cameras include a crypto chip so that fakes wouldn't work with your Raspberry.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

Return to “Camera board”