bengast

Raspberry Pi stuck in kernel?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:32 pm

so originally I had boot problems but then I managed to move past them (had my image incorrectly installed on the SD go figure...)

my problems now however are a little more problematic. I boot the raspberry Pi up (by plugging the power cable in) and it enters the kernel doing its inits (I got a Jessie lite 4.9) it recognizes my keyboard but then there is a delay and the "line random: crng init done." nothing appears after this unless I remove the usb devices and put them back in.

there is no request at all for a login. no command I tried is working. So I'm kinda at an end considering I'm new in this (I'm doing this for my dad who thought it'd be a fun project.) should I just wipe the SD card, reformat it and try again?

farvardin

Re: Raspberry Pi stuck in kernel?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm

I got the same problem. If I find a solution, beside reinstalling everything, I'll post here...

pcmanbob

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 pm

bengast wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:32 pm
so originally I had boot problems but then I managed to move past them (had my image incorrectly installed on the SD go figure...)

my problems now however are a little more problematic. I boot the raspberry Pi up (by plugging the power cable in) and it enters the kernel doing its inits (I got a Jessie lite 4.9) it recognizes my keyboard but then there is a delay and the "line random: crng init done." nothing appears after this unless I remove the usb devices and put them back in.

there is no request at all for a login. no command I tried is working. So I'm kinda at an end considering I'm new in this (I'm doing this for my dad who thought it'd be a fun project.) should I just wipe the SD card, reformat it and try again?
Hi.

If this is a new install it sounds very much like your image is corrupt, either it corrupted at download stage or when you were writing it to the SD card.
I would download a new copy of the image and try writing it to you SD card again.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:01 pm

The crg init stuff is right at the end of booting. Should be up and running by that point.

It might be a power problem.

What USB devices/hubs do you have attached, and which Pi model, which OS etc?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

2bdkid

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm getting the same problems on kernel 4.9.80 (rpi-4.9.y) built for arm64. My base system is Debian stable, and I get the same issue on 2 SD cards. I can try different kernel parameters if needed.

jamesh

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm

2bdkid wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:34 pm
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm getting the same problems on kernel 4.9.80 (rpi-4.9.y) built for arm64. My base system is Debian stable, and I get the same issue on 2 SD cards. I can try different kernel parameters if needed.
Probably best to start a new thread, and include a bit more information in that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

2bdkid

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:49 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm
Probably best to start a new thread, and include a bit more information in that.
I have one here but it's kind of buried viewtopic.php?f=71&t=209093

Return to “Troubleshooting”