JonOz

Menu Bar missing

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:49 am

being relatively new to Raspberry Pi & the operating system, i recently bought two new devices, 1 x Raspberry Pi 3 & 1 x Zero W.

both ran up OK, but when configuring to connect to wireless BOTH desperately lost the Menu bar on the top of the Desktop

any idea how to get it back please ???

thanks

Jon

klricks

Re: Menu Bar missing

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:31 am

Did you also enable VNC? There was a bug in the initial release of Stretch which makes the menu bar disappear when VNC is enabled.
To fix run these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Note.... If you are stuck without a menu bar then press [Ctrl] [Alt] [F6] to get to a command prompt.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPi OS Bullseye w/ Desktop OS.

dionmac

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:21 am

i have the same issue my menu bar goes away after updating and rebooting. i am not sure if anyone can help please.
not sure why it is doing this

jackjameshoward

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I have the same problem.
All I have on screen is the wastebasket.
No menu bar even after update/upgrade on stretch.

n67

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 pm

I don't think there's really any answer to the question of "Why?". It just happens - certain versions of the OS (i.e., with or without one patch/change or another) and certain programs loading (some have mentioned VNC - there are others as well).

But, for all that, you should be aware that the underlying problem is that the program "lxpanel" is the one that implements the "menu bar" and the problem is that the "lxpanel" process sometimes (i.e., under conditions as described above) crashes (I.e., goes away). You can test to see if lxpanel is still running via:

Code: Select all

$ ps -C lxpanel
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 1360 ?        02:48:56 lxpanel
$
But, the sad fact is that there isn't anything you can do, to get it back, other than reboot.

I assume that there are bugs in lxpanel that cause it to write past the end of an array (i.e., some array in the program isn't big enough) and when this happens, it crashes (exits). The shame is that it should be possible to restart it - get lxpanel running again - but that, alas, doesn't work.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

jackjameshoward

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am

But, the sad fact is that there isn't anything you can do, to get it back, other than reboot.
I haven't checked to see if "lxpanel" has crashed yet but no matter how many times I reboot the menu bar never comes back.

I should mention that I'm running an lcd via the dpi interface. https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel

n67

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 am

jackjameshoward wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am
I haven't checked to see if "lxpanel" has crashed yet but no matter how many times I reboot the menu bar never comes back.

I should mention that I'm running an lcd via the dpi interface.
Usually what I see is that (if you watch carefully during the initial boot), it will be there the first time the desktop screen appears, but then goes away as things are being started. Maybe the switch to the LCD screen has something to do with it.

Others have noted that it sometimes happens when VNC is activating itself. Are you running VNC? If so, try turning it off (with raspbi-config). Then reboot and watch carefully.

Try turning off the driver for the LCD - see what happens.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

wangsair

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:28 am

https://www.kirkmakse.com/raspberry-pi- ... -menu-bar/
The method from this link works for me.

LPSeg13

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:36 am

I have read about (not tried) a fix for this as follows...

Remove the lxpanel.config file because it is corrupted
$ Sudo rm -r ~/.config/lxpanel

Then restart the X server

$ startx

Or simply reboot

$ sudo reboot

The config file will be rewritten upon restart.

ripp2k

Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 pm

I just stumbled across this post when I was having the same problem. What worked for me was this:

1. Right click on your desktop
2. Go to Applications
3. Go to Settings
4. Go to Panel
5. When you select Panel it should prompt you with an error, telling you that there's no instance of the panel running. It will ask you if you want to start it. Click yes and voila.

When I rebooted I had to repeat the process to get my my panel back. I'll keep looking for a fix for that. Removing the config file and updating, as suggested, did not work for me.

Return to “Troubleshooting”