Calby

Clone the sdcard?

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:08 am

Hi,
How can I clone the SDcard?
I'm running Windows on my laptop.

I did try with Win32DiskImaginer but it don't work I think as when I'm clicking on the dropdown menu /devices I can see two partions one that are named Boot and the other one that are not named anything and where the Raspbian are on.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Clone the sdcard?

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:16 am

Calby wrote:
Hi,

I did try with Win32DiskImaginer but it don't work I think as when I'm clicking on the dropdown menu /devices I can see two partions one that are named Boot and the other one that are not named anything and where the Raspbian are on.

Easiest way is to buy a USB Card reader and use Raspbian's included SD Card Copier :D

SD Card Copier released over a year ago with the original LXDE Desktop Update and carried forward henceforth:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

HawaiianPi

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 am

Calby wrote:
Hi,

Just select the first drive letter Win32DiskImager assigns to the card, which will be the tiny FAT32 partition that Windows can read. Win32DiskImager will copy the whole card, even though you only selected one drive letter.

That being said, Win32DiskImager is a poor choice for card backups. As fruitofthloom suggested above, use the SD Card Copier application in Raspbian to make a backup SD card.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

gabriel.rosseel

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:47 pm

I have the same configuration and I use:
USB Image Tool 1.7.4 (latest version) frm www.alexpage.de
gabriël

Calby

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:02 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 am
Calby wrote:
Hi,

Just select the first drive letter Win32DiskImager assigns to the card, which will be the tiny FAT32 partition that Windows can read. Win32DiskImager will copy the whole card, even though you only selected one drive letter.

That being said, Win32DiskImager is a poor choice for card backups. As fruitofthloom suggested above, use the SD Card Copier application in Raspbian to make a backup SD card (PiClone if you are using Raspbian Lite)

I don't have the GUI and I just want a complete copy of the SDCard to a .img file so I can use it directly again if the SDCard does crash or something like that.

Ofc, I can mount a SMBShare from my MS server and do the dd line to it, but that's not what I want to do.

KLL

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am

so to burn a copy ( a .img file ) of a SD card from windows use
+ + win 32 disk imager (1.0) looks
+ - etcher write img to SD only ( thanks @B.Goode )
it will copy the whole drive to one file, so a 16GB SD card will be a 16GB .img file.
if there was just one RASPBIAN OS installed you can zip the 16GB image file down to ?5GB...
( but zip / unzip takes long!! )

NOTE: you can restore that image file back to that SD card, or a bigger one, but not sure to a other of nominal same size.
( see the new win32 disk imager , "only allocated partition" feature )
you could resize ( the last ) partition ( using gparted ) by some MB to fit on a other SD card.

now why would you call that image backup way "poor"? compared to what? yes, the SD card copier tool ( of RASPBIAN )
is insofar smarter as you could copy the ( running system ) SD to a USB stick or SD card ,
even a smaller one ( as long the content fits ),
( if 2 card reader available you could make a RASPBIAN system SD ( to have / use the sd card copier tool from)
and copy from sda ( the card you want to backup ) to sdb ( the backup card) )
but all that requires a other device ( card or stick ) is available.
So imaging SD to file on a xTB PC hard disk is still a very good option.

i have a old / small (8GB ) / slow SD card i call MASTER.
its a default setup RASPBIAN with ssh, vnc, fix ip.. and some installed tools like mc and samba...
also my .bash_aliases / raspi-info ...

if i need a new system setup i start that one, and update upgrade.
and use the "sd card copier tool" to burn itself to my new system SD ( 16/32GB )
so my "new" system SD needs 20min burntime only.
for a new setup i need to clean a SD or USB stick ( SDFormatter )
unzip copy PINN ( add wpa_supplicant file to be online )
and boot it with the INSTALLER USB stick and install from it MyRaspbian plus any other system from stick or internet.
Last edited by KLL on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

B.Goode

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 am

so to burn a copy ( a .img file ) of a SD card from windows use
[... ]
+ + etcher
I thought Etcher was dedicated to flashing images onto removable media?

I can't see anything in the User Interface of Etcher that indicates it could be used to create an image. Do you know how to do this?

Return to “Beginners”