Noobinou

[SOLVED] PI3 Bluetooth No default controller available

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Hello,

On my raspberry pi 3, I installed Jeedom. I use Bluetooth with a NUT for various scenarios. It's was been working well.
On Saturday I received a z-wave USB key. I installed the z-wave module on my roller shutter and it works correctly.
Today I noticed that the bluetooth scenario no longer works.

When I do

Code: Select all

bluetoothctl show
I get the following message:

No default controller available
Do you have any idea?

Best regards
Last edited by Noobinou on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epoch1970

Re: PI3 Bluetooth No default controller available

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Try "systemctl start hciuart" and the interface should appear.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Noobinou

Re: PI3 Bluetooth No default controller available

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks epoch1970 this work fine !

nucik

Re: [SOLVED] PI3 Bluetooth No default controller available

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:55 pm

This happened to me when I run `bluetoothctl` without sudo.

Correct is:

sudo bluetoothctl

Douglas6

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 am

On a Pi running the latest Raspbian, sudo is not needed for bluetoothctl.

maxl0412

Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 am

Hey,

i´ve the same problem, without sudo i don´t find any devices, with sudo i do find one.

systemctl status hciuart.service gives me an error:

Failed to start hciuart.service: Interactive authentication required.
See system logs and 'systemctl status hciuart.service' for details.
systemctl status hciuart.service outputs:

● hciuart.service - Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hciuart.service; enabled; vendor preset:
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2019-05-11 07:46:27 CEST; 3 days ago
  Process: 328 ExecStart=/usr/bin/btuart (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 766 (hciattach)
   CGroup: /system.slice/hciuart.service
           └─766 /usr/bin/hciattach /dev/serial1 bcm43xx 921600 noflow - b8:27:e

May 11 07:46:22 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting Configure Bluetooth Modems conn
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: bcm43xx_init
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Flash firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Set BDADDR UART: b8:27:eb:5d:08:54
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Set Controller UART speed to 921600 bit
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Device setup complete
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Configure Bluetooth Modems conne
lines 1-15/15 (END)...skipping...
● hciuart.service - Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hciuart.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2019-05-11 07:46:27 CEST; 3 days ago
  Process: 328 ExecStart=/usr/bin/btuart (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 766 (hciattach)
   CGroup: /system.slice/hciuart.service
           └─766 /usr/bin/hciattach /dev/serial1 bcm43xx 921600 noflow - b8:27:eb:5d:08:54

May 11 07:46:22 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART...
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: bcm43xx_init
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Flash firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43430A1.hcd
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Set BDADDR UART: b8:27:eb:5d:08:54
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Set Controller UART speed to 921600 bit/s
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi btuart[328]: Device setup complete
May 11 07:46:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART.

Douglas6

Tue May 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Your first response seems to have come from a 'systemctl start' command, not 'status', as you stated. You will need 'sudo' to start services. But there's no need; your second response is telling you that the hciuart service is already running.

I don't understand what your issue is. I suggest starting a new thread with a complete description of the problem.

glum

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:31 am

This thread is as old as dirt. The sad thing is the problems with Bluetooth are just as old, and as of this date they remain ignored in the RPi OS Lite distribution. Whether through carelessness or neglect, the lack of clarity with respect to differences in the default Bluetooth installation in the Lite, Full and Desktop versions of RaspPi OS is, IMO a disservice to the Raspberry Pi user community.

I am not an expert, but I have made some observations. Based on these observations, the central problems are:

1. There is one set of Release Notes http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspio ... _notes.txt for all three distributions. There is no clear explanation as to the diffs in the as-installed Blutooth capabilities between these distributions.

2. There is no "official" documentation outlining differences in the default Bluetooth installation for the 3 distributions, nor is there any documentation explaining how to get from the default Blutooth installation in the Lite distribution to one that has minimum functionality.

3. Consequently many users read answers in this forum (and others), and assume that they apply to all RPi OS distributions (Lite, Desktop & "Recommended Software"). They do not.

This Q&A illustrates the issue: Some users fail to reach a responsive Controller using the bluetoothctl command; some claim sudo bluetoothctl is required; some dispute that assertion, claiming that is unnecessary on the "latest Raspbian". This is easy enough to verify: Try starting bluetoothctl on a "Lite" system, and on a "Recommended Software" system. The difference is readily apparent: The "Lite" system cannot access the Controller without additional privileges. It seems that the reason for this is the default pi user is not made a member of the secondary group bluetooth on the "Lite" system, but does belong to that group on the "Recommended Software" system.

On the "Lite" system, I have found adding the default pi user to the secondary group bluetooth will also make the Controller responsive in bluetoothctl app (i.e. sudo is not required); REF: https://stackoverflow.com/a/53738121/5395338

But of course this is only the "tip of the iceberg"; users face a challenging maze to gain even minimal Bluetooth capability of the "Lite" system. This should be addressed, and there are two obvious alternatives:

1. Augment the official documentation to include "recipes" for making Bluetooth useful in the "Lite" system.

2. Make it clear on the RPi.org website that the "Lite" system supports no Bluetooth services in its default installation, and that there is no "official" documentation to add those services.

In other words, either improve Bluetooth function and/or documentation on the "Lite" system, or admit that it needs an unspecified amount of effort to be useful.

Douglas6

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:56 am

glum wrote:
The "Lite" system cannot access the Controller without additional privileges. It seems that the reason for this is the default pi user is not made a member of the secondary group bluetooth on the "Lite" system
I appreciate your pointing this out. It explains some confusion, including on my part. I wouldn't describe it as a functional difference (things work the same, it's simply a question of who can do what), but it also seems like an easy and logical fix for the distributors to make. Of course flagging this suggestion where the distributors will see it, would best serve your purposes.

There's no documentation detailing the specific differences between full and Lite versions, but neither are the differences between Raspi OS and (say) Ubuntu detailed anywhere. They are simply different distributions.

bigblue01

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:53 am

Thanks glum. I was stumbling around for a few minutes wondering how the heck I was able to get my keyboard paired during my 1st attempt with raspberry pi os desktop. Now I know its because my 2nd (current) attempt is failing due to "lite".
glum wrote:
This thread is as old as dirt. The sad thing is the problems with Bluetooth are just as old, and as of this date they remain ignored in the RPi OS Lite distribution. Whether through carelessness or neglect, the lack of clarity with respect to differences in the default Bluetooth installation in the Lite, Full and Desktop versions of RaspPi OS is, IMO a disservice to the Raspberry Pi user community.

I am not an expert, but I have made some observations. Based on these observations, the central problems are:

1. There is one set of Release Notes http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspio ... _notes.txt for all three distributions. There is no clear explanation as to the diffs in the as-installed Blutooth capabilities between these distributions.

2. There is no "official" documentation outlining differences in the default Bluetooth installation for the 3 distributions, nor is there any documentation explaining how to get from the default Blutooth installation in the Lite distribution to one that has minimum functionality.

3. Consequently many users read answers in this forum (and others), and assume that they apply to all RPi OS distributions (Lite, Desktop & "Recommended Software"). They do not.

This Q&A illustrates the issue: Some users fail to reach a responsive Controller using the bluetoothctl command; some claim sudo bluetoothctl is required; some dispute that assertion, claiming that is unnecessary on the "latest Raspbian". This is easy enough to verify: Try starting bluetoothctl on a "Lite" system, and on a "Recommended Software" system. The difference is readily apparent: The "Lite" system cannot access the Controller without additional privileges. It seems that the reason for this is the default pi user is not made a member of the secondary group bluetooth on the "Lite" system, but does belong to that group on the "Recommended Software" system.

On the "Lite" system, I have found adding the default pi user to the secondary group bluetooth will also make the Controller responsive in bluetoothctl app (i.e. sudo is not required); REF: https://stackoverflow.com/a/53738121/5395338

But of course this is only the "tip of the iceberg"; users face a challenging maze to gain even minimal Bluetooth capability of the "Lite" system. This should be addressed, and there are two obvious alternatives:

1. Augment the official documentation to include "recipes" for making Bluetooth useful in the "Lite" system.

2. Make it clear on the RPi.org website that the "Lite" system supports no Bluetooth services in its default installation, and that there is no "official" documentation to add those services.

In other words, either improve Bluetooth function and/or documentation on the "Lite" system, or admit that it needs an unspecified amount of effort to be useful.

renice123

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 am

I worked a lot with the Lite version and did not notice any problems with bluetooth. Moreover, where can there be problems if bluetooth on all Linux distributions works with bluez programs? http://www.bluez.org/ If in doubt, you can download this or that bluez version yourself from the developers site and compile it for the Lite version. I compiled, everything works very well.

dstibbe

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:55 am

With me, the problem was caused by the new bluez package missing the ControllerMode setting

Edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
add: ControllerMode=le

reboot

Return to “Troubleshooting”