creative-2008

Installing HP LaserJet P1005

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:37 pm

I have a pretty old HP Laserjet P1005 printer. I had this working on an older Raspberry Pi, and even managed to set-up Google Cloud Print and AirPrint, which was incredible handy. It took a lot of messing around though to get the printer even working locally, and I'm not sure which of the guides that I followed was correct.

I've just started trying to install it on the 3B+, and this is the process that I've followed.

1) Downloaded HP Lib and started to install this. I got stuck at a prompt for my password, which it repeatedly rejected. I googled this and there was a workaround, but a lot of forum posts suggesting that this wasn't the best way to go about it, and that it was better to install CUPS... which I do remember using before.

2) I have successfully installed CUPS. It rejected my login at first, but I added my username to the printer group, using the command below that I found on a forum.

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -aG lpadmin <your_username> 
After that command, I can login at localhost:631 and my printer is recognised twice. I have tried installing it using both options but either way I get the same error when I try to print a test page.

ID	Name	User	Size	Pages	State	Control
HP_LaserJet_P1005-4 	Unknown 	Withheld 	1k 	Unknown 	stopped 
"Filter failed"	    
Does anyone have any suggestions?

What I'm hoping for is that I can write myself out a little guide that I can follow next time, rather than blindly running around in circles like I did last time until it finally works.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing HP LaserJet P1005

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:45 pm

creative-2008 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:37 pm
I have a pretty old HP Laserjet P1005 printer. I had this working on an older Raspberry Pi, and even managed to set-up Google Cloud Print and AirPrint, which was incredible handy. It took a lot of messing around though to get the printer even working locally, and I'm not sure which of the guides that I followed was correct.

I've just started trying to install it on the 3B+, and this is the process that I've followed.

1) Downloaded HP Lib and started to install this. I got stuck at a prompt for my password, which it repeatedly rejected. I googled this and there was a workaround, but a lot of forum posts suggesting that this wasn't the best way to go about it, and that it was better to install CUPS... which I do remember using before.

2) I have successfully installed CUPS. It rejected my login at first, but I added my username to the printer group, using the command below that I found on a forum.

sudo usermod -aG lpadmin <your_username> 
After that command, I can login at localhost:631 and my printer is recognised twice. I have tried installing it using both options but either way I get the same error when I try to print a test page.

ID	Name	User	Size	Pages	State	Control
HP_LaserJet_P1005-4 	Unknown 	Withheld 	1k 	Unknown 	stopped 
"Filter failed"	    
Does anyone have any suggestions?

What I'm hoping for is that I can write myself out a little guide that I can follow next time, rather than blindly running around in circles like I did last time until it finally works.

Rasbian Stretch, install HPLIP from repository not from the website:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install hplip

The correct syntax for adding a user is:

sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin pi

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/printing-cups
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

creative-2008

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install hplip
I've just tried this, and received a message to say that it's already installed.

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Thanks for that. I've updated my document with that.

I've also install several more 'things' which I think are driver packages. One is called foomatic. Now there's a selection of drivers I can choose for my printer, but nothing happens when I print. It just lists the job as completed, without the printer making so much as a noise.

I don't know if it's relevant, but there are two printers for me to choose from when I am installing a printer. I'm going for the top one at the moment, but have experimented with the bottom one earlier.

sb://HP/LaserJet%20P1005?serial=BC0GFTX
Local Printers:	 VNC Remote Printer (VNC Printer)
 HP LaserJet P1005 (HP LaserJet P1005)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

creative-2008 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install hplip
I've just tried this, and received a message to say that it's already installed.

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Thanks for that. I've updated my document with that.

I've also install several more 'things' which I think are driver packages. One is called foomatic. Now there's a selection of drivers I can choose for my printer, but nothing happens when I print. It just lists the job as completed, without the printer making so much as a noise.

I don't know if it's relevant, but there are two printers for me to choose from when I am installing a printer. I'm going for the top one at the moment, but have experimented with the bottom one earlier.

sb://HP/LaserJet%20P1005?serial=BC0GFTX
Local Printers:	 VNC Remote Printer (VNC Printer)
 HP LaserJet P1005 (HP LaserJet P1005)

If the Printer is connected via USB the correct driver is hplip, you appear to have over-complicated the simple instructions, maybe best to start afresh ??

creative-2008

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am

Foolishly, I don't have a back-up from before starting this, so I would have to start again. Need the Pi up and running for the next few weeks, so I guess it will have to wait.

When I do start with a fresh image is this the process that you're suggesting:

1) Install hplip using apt-get install

2) Install CUPS

3) Access CUPS from localhost:631 and install printer using hplips driver?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am

creative-2008 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am
Foolishly, I don't have a back-up from before starting this, so I would have to start again. Need the Pi up and running for the next few weeks, so I guess it will have to wait.

When I do start with a fresh image is this the process that you're suggesting:

1) Install hplip using apt-get install

2) Install CUPS

3) Access CUPS from localhost:631 and install printer using hplips driver?

2) will install with 1) as it is a dependency:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/hplip

3) yes after using correct syntax to be a member of lpadmin..

creative-2008

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Much appreciated

reporteric

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am

Happy that worked for you. I seem to struggle with the hp plug-in required for said printer to work. Using dietpi as a distro, I followed this guy's https://davesteele.github.io/raspberryp ... loudprint/ guide to set up cups. I don't seem to be able to install the plug-in getting a checksum error in either hp-setup or hp-plugin on my pi. It's that known?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:07 am

reporteric wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am
Happy that worked for you. I seem to struggle with the hp plug-in required for said printer to work. Using dietpi as a distro, I followed this guy's https://davesteele.github.io/raspberryp ... loudprint/ guide to set up cups. I don't seem to be able to install the plug-in getting a checksum error in either hp-setup or hp-plugin on my pi. It's that known?

You are following out of date tutorials and information.

The currently supported Raspberry Pi with Desktop Operating System since the December 2020 update / upgrade includes printer support,:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-ra ... mber-2020/

Return to “Beginners”