jusme

Is this camera connector backwards?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Just bought a new Pi-3 B+ from a reputable supplier (who shall remain nameless unless proven guilty), but I can't get any camera modules to work with it. Tested several cameras, v1.3, v2.1, standard and NOIR, all work on another Pi (also 3-B+, with the same SD card), but none on the new one.

Looking closely at the connector, it appears to be fitter the wrong way round - the contacts are on the left-hand (Ethernet) side, and there is a large plastic tab on the right-hand (HDMI) side, that seems to prevent any possibility of an electrical connection:

Working:

Faulty?:

Haven't seen any other reports of this problem, so can anyone confirm this looks wrong before I shout at [REDACTED] for making me waste a hour on this???
Sometimes you need to reinvent the wheel, not because you need wheels, but because you need inventors

gordon77

Re: Is this camera connector backwards?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:28 pm

It certainly looks it to me. Can you get the camera cable between the pins and the connector?

jusme

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:05 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:28 pm
It certainly looks it to me. Can you get the camera cable between the pins and the connector?
Nope, the electrical contacts are on the "wrong" (left) side, there's nothing to connect to on the "right" side - pic with the latch removed:

Sometimes you need to reinvent the wheel, not because you need wheels, but because you need inventors

gordon77

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:32 pm

I'd return it to the supplier.

rpdom

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Yes, return it. I believe I have seen another post where a camera connector had been fitted the wrong way round. I guess a small batch had been assembled incorrectly.

Roger_Thornton
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am

Could you post a photo of the 2D barcode on the back of the board?

jusme

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Roger_Thornton wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am
Could you post a photo of the 2D barcode on the back of the board?

HamBurger

Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 am

I just purchased a Pi 3 Model B+ with what appears to be the same problem. The camera connector is backwards.
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.47.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.47.32 PM.png (23.21 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
The attachment Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.47.32 PM.png is no longer available

Matt_Claridge

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:03 am

Just found 3 with the same issue in our batch.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:31 am

Any idea where and when these were made?

Should I worry about the ones I bought a year ago? I purchased a few 3B+ computers between launch and early July 2018.

EDIT:
Just checked one of mine and it seems okay. Dark colored connector like the working pic, and facing the right way (07/02 on sticker). They're all in Flirc cases, whose one drawback is you can't see the cool little computer inside.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

rpdom

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:00 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:31 am
Just checked one of mine and it seems okay. Dark colored connector like the working pic, and facing the right way (07/02 on sticker). They're all in Flirc cases, whose one drawback is you can't see the cool little computer inside.
What you need is cases made from transparent aluminium :)
Unreadable squiggle

rlapihuska

Thu May 14, 2020 4:22 pm

Grr...I just tried hooking up a camera to a B+ that I bought back in August of 2019 and same issue. Comparing to a B v 1.2 both the camera and display ribbon connectors are backward. Someone loaded up the pick and place machine backward. And since the Kapton sticker was still in place I'm sure they don't test these ports. Anyway, my camera wasn't fried luckily. Still works on the B I have. Going to try for a replacement from the seller.

TwoRPIsTooMany

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi, coming from thread, seems I have on my both boards same issue as in this thread. I have linked photos of my 3B+ -boards in that thread so will not copy them here.

I asked for a replacement from my supplier, www.Berrybase.de, here is their response:

# -------------------- reply begin ---------------
Hello,
thank you for your message.
We are sorry to hear that something is wrong.
In general the Foundation (manufacturer of the Pi) does not give any warranty because the raspberry pi is a tinker pc.
There is also no official confirmation from the Foundation about the defect you described.
The legal warranty stipulates that after more than 6 months a proof of the customer must be presented that the defect existed from the beginning.
Therefore we cannot offer you a replacement for this.
Thank you for your understanding.
# -------------------- reply end ---------------

If I interpret reply correctly, it says: For two reasons,
1) because the Foundation does not confirm this kind of defect has been in the product, and
2) because I have not provided proof that the defect existed from the beginning

... www.Berrybase.de does not offer a replacement. Bought the boards 21.10.2018 from Berrybase.de, but did not use them until now because circumstances changed and I didn't have time. Now I wish to use them for home-alarm, key component is camera. Reply from supplier was unexpected. My interpretation of EU law is, for manufacturing defects, warranty is product lifetime, whatever that is.

Does anyone know, how I could prove defect was there from factory?
Could I ask replacement boards from the Foundation?

Thanks

gordon77

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:21 pm

I would have thought that if the connector was installed the wrong way round at build and there is no sign of any rework on the boardthe fault must have been there when you purchased it. It don't think it would that easy to remove the connector and replace it the wrong way around without leaving any signs of that work.

jamesh

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:38 pm

I've passed this on to the manufacturing team.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

TwoRPIsTooMany

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks that sounds good. Don't know what odds are, perhaps supplier will replace the boards if they believe they are a manufacturing problem. Not sure, their message is not encouraging much. It is a bit upsetting supplier did not resolve it at the outset, means just more struggle, and I can not forget it. Proposed I'd buy 8 new boards w/peripherals, cards, everything, and they'd throw in replacements for the defective items to go in with same shipping, but they did not agree. Grrr.

Here are links to pics I provided to supplier, of both boards :
link one
link two
link three

Meanwhile, with help from youtube, managed to create my first project, a led lamp, a resistor + motion sensor, works fantastic, with python code, it is really nice. :D

jamesh

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:18 pm

If it was a manufacturing defect, which it does sound like, they should replace them, then they get sent back to us, so they would not be out of pocket. But will wait for our guys to get back to me.

bensimmo

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:57 pm

TwoRPIsTooMany wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:13 pm
Hi, coming from thread, seems I have on my both boards same issue as in this thread. I have linked photos of my 3B+ -boards in that thread so will not copy them here.

I asked for a replacement from my supplier, www.Berrybase.de, here is their response:

# -------------------- reply begin ---------------
Hello,
thank you for your message.
We are sorry to hear that something is wrong.
In general the Foundation (manufacturer of the Pi) does not give any warranty because the raspberry pi is a tinker pc.
There is also no official confirmation from the Foundation about the defect you described.
The legal warranty stipulates that after more than 6 months a proof of the customer must be presented that the defect existed from the beginning.
Therefore we cannot offer you a replacement for this.
Thank you for your understanding.
# -------------------- reply end ---------------

If I interpret reply correctly, it says: For two reasons,
1) because the Foundation does not confirm this kind of defect has been in the product, and
2) because I have not provided proof that the defect existed from the beginning

... www.Berrybase.de does not offer a replacement. Bought the boards 21.10.2018 from Berrybase.de, but did not use them until now because circumstances changed and I didn't have time. Now I wish to use them for home-alarm, key component is camera. Reply from supplier was unexpected. My interpretation of EU law is, for manufacturing defects, warranty is product lifetime, whatever that is.

Does anyone know, how I could prove defect was there from factory?
Could I ask replacement boards from the Foundation?

Thanks
You have a minimum of two years under EU Legal Law, German law may extend that but I don't think it does, once *you* prove it has a defect then Berrybase are responsible for a repair or replacement etc, including shipping etc free of charge (at no cost to you).

One problem is you are past the two year period, so no idea how it goes in Germany.
Goodwill?

This is about claiming for defects, not about a product failing within an expected life. For failing within its expected liftime I guess it would be down to German law? In the UK, for example, Scotlands expected lifetime (5years) is a year shorter then England (6years) for many electrical products like TVs and washing machines.

*you, because it is after six months.

Also being a device to tinker with has nothing to do with it.

one tick... I have it bookmarked somewhere
https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/d ... dex_en.htm

TL:DR
It seems you are just past the 'law' being on your side from the shop, but RPT may help out.

TwoRPIsTooMany

Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 am

Hi thanks for response. I think Berrybase is not disputing liability, they just informed they need proof defect existed in the beginning.

Perhaps best option is to wait if Jamesh hears anything from manufacturing team.

jamesh

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:28 pm

TwoRPIsTooMany wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 am
Hi thanks for response. I think Berrybase is not disputing liability, they just informed they need proof defect existed in the beginning.

Perhaps best option is to wait if Jamesh hears anything from manufacturing team.
Hi, spoken to our guys, who have spoken to Berrybase (their response was not correct). can you give me you real name so I can forward it to berrybase. They will send new boards out.

DirkS

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm

jamesh wrote:
Hi, spoken to our guys, who have spoken to Berrybase (their response was not correct). can you give me you real name so I can forward it to berrybase. They will send new boards out.
May not be relevant anymore, but if OP doesn't want to put the name in a public post (s)he could report the above post and put the details in the comment field

jamesh

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:47 pm

DirkS wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm
jamesh wrote:
May not be relevant anymore, but if OP doesn't want to put the name in a public post (s)he could report the above post and put the details in the comment field
Good idea! Didn't think of that. I suspect the supplier already knows, but I was asked to get more details, so here I am!

TwoRPIsTooMany

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm

Fantastic news, Berrybase contacted by email, said they will post new boards. I am really grateful for all support! Amazing!

Also placed an order for 8 new 4gb RPI 4 boards+peripherals from Berrybase. This was already before I heard they'd send in replacements, they are a great supplier for a great product and I knew it.

I am building a DIY home alarm with cameras+sensors, a simple setup where each unit is checking camera motion and movement sensor.

Thanks again !

jamesh

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Great, glad it is all sorted out.

Return to “Camera board”