top_dag20001

Creating a BTWIFI autologin router box with Raspberry Pi

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi - hoping some of you smart networking guys can provide some guidance on this idea (see below).

Background:
I currently live in a house without phone line or broadband internet.
Luckily, my neighbours have BTWIFI (previously called BT openzone), and I'm currently able to access them to gain access to the internet for free (using my parent's BT credentials ;) which is very handy.

This works quite well, albeit there is a BTWIFI login screen everytime I login and the lease renews every 2 hours or so.
I've been able to get around this by using a nice auto login script i found on reddit which autoruns on boot and does the login bit quite nicely and runs every 30mins via chron.

Idea:
To bring this to the next level, what I'd really like to do is effectively share this connection with my other devices without them having to hit the BTWIFI login splash screen i.e. the RPi sharing the connection to other devices (e.g. laptop).

Is what I am asking for actually possible/practical with the RPi? - I've messed around with a few options and searched wlan0 to eth0 bridges - but these haven't worked out thus far. Was just hoping for some clean and easy way to do this.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

drgeoff

Re: Creating a BTWIFI autologin router box with Raspberry Pi

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 pm

You will need a NAT router arrangement between your client connected to the BTWiFi and the wired and/or wireless clients in your house.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Brian Coat

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 pm

I just saw this, looking for something else. I'm a bit late to the party but I bet your requirement is a common one.

The most robust way to do it with best throughput is to put OpenWRT on the RPi (chron feature is still available for login) and use RelayD to relay the BT-Wifi to ethernet and then use another wifi router to provide the wireless LAN to you and your flatmates.

I have used this very successfully.

There is a very good video on Youtube telling you exactly how to do it. I'll try to dig it out.

I'd be really interested to see the link to your auto-login script. Was it a bash script?

Graspberry

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:57 am

I want to do this as well - any updates?

mandregomes

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Any update? I found some information in this website http://blog.nathansplace.co.uk/2016/bt-openzone but I am not sure how I can program this in the rpi4?

Anyone could provide some help?

Thanks in advance

top_dag20001

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:16 am

Hi - Just following up on my original post. Thank you all for you input.

I eventually went down the route of a dedicated GLiNET mini router with LUCI installed and using a bash script kindly written by sscarduzio in Github. https://gist.github.com/sscarduzio/05ed0b41d6234530d724

The Pi proved to be a bit complicated in trying to do this, but it would probably work better in the hand of someone more competent!

Return to “Troubleshooting”