tiwill0v2

Raspberry pi cluster to run Win.10

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 am

Ok so i've done somes research and found out because of the way the processor of the raspberry pi is created, i would need to emulate windows(wich is fine to me) but i wonder, do you think if i do a cluster of like 6 or 8 of them if i could make it work to be powerfull enough to do basic task like the maximum would be youtube at 720p60

i was planing on using an 8 port ethernet switch, 8 raspberry pi 3 B+ and i know i'm gonna need thing like usb stick, memory cards, and other things

if it wouldn't work, i was planning on doing freenass with them and plugging hard drives to usb for mass storage

Andyroo

Re: Raspberry pi cluster to run Win.10

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 am

You can run Windows 10 on ARM but that sentence needs to be qualified with a big JUST. See https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/02/1 ... erry-pi-3/ for some details. Legality is in the air at the mo. Windows Insider membership is a requirement (available free for some uses) but folk are running later versions than those released under this agreement.

Windows is still too heavy for 1GB on ARM (I’ve given up on boxes with less than 4GB and 64GB disk) and cannot be spread over multiple Pi boards (or even Intel / AMD). Currently there are a few Pi clusters but a quick search on here will show that they are Linux and great for learning but not cost effective compared to Intel / AMD chips for serious work at small board counts.

If you are looking at NAS software then have a look at https://nextcloud.com and their home section.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:27 am

You don't need to simulate Windows. To run one of the standard versions of Win10 (which appears to be your intent) you need to simulate an Intel or AMD x86 processor on the ARM processors the Pis use. This can be done, but it isn't fast and it isn't particularly susceptible to improvements from parallelism.

On a technical aspect of what you want to do, a 8-port Ethernet switch isn't sufficient. That doesn't leave you a port for an outside connection. You need the next size up, a 16-port switch.

I suggest that you read up on computer "clusters" to see what they're good for, what runs well on them, and what doesn't.

On the other hand, the VC4 (the graphics portion of the Pi) is capable of running not only 720p YouTube, but decoding and running 1080p60 video, so for that aspect of your project, you only need one Pi.

Imperf3kt

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:12 am

The logic in this thread hurts my head.

Problem #1
Clustering will not achieve what you want

Problem #2
Price
You would like how many Pi3b+? 6 or 7, did you say? Lets go with 8 to make use of all those ports on your network switch.

$35*8=$280 worth of Pi
8 X micro sd card.
8 X power supply
1 X Windows license
Other necessities X 8

It stands to reason that you are much better off buying something purpose built for the task.

Cheap Windows laptop <$200
Second hand PC from eBay, $50, though likely to be half a decade old and come with Windows 7
Or an x86 based SBC with Windows 10 pre installed - $119
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Heater

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:30 am

tiwill0v2,
Ok so i've done somes research and found out because of the way the processor of the raspberry pi is created, i would need to emulate windows...
No, you don't. You can run Linux on the Pi like 99.9% of other people. It's great. If you need to run Windows for some odd reason get and Intel or AMD based machine.
...do you think if i do a cluster of like 6 or 8 of them if i could make it work to be powerfull enough to do basic task like the maximum would be youtube at 720p60
No. A cluster of Pi will not run most things, certainly not x86 emulation, faster than one Pi.
...i was planing on using an 8 port ethernet switch, 8 raspberry pi 3 B+ and i know i'm gonna need thing like usb stick, memory cards, and other things

if it wouldn't work...
It will not work. Do some more research.
...i was planning on doing freenass with them and plugging hard drives to usb for mass storage
OK. Time out. What actually is it you want to do?
Slava Ukrayini.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:39 am

tiwill0v2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 am
Ok so i've done somes research and found out because of the way the processor of the raspberry pi is created, i would need to emulate windows(wich is fine to me) but i wonder, do you think if i do a cluster of like 6 or 8 of them if i could make it work to be powerfull enough to do basic task like the maximum would be youtube at 720p60

i was planing on using an 8 port ethernet switch, 8 raspberry pi 3 B+ and i know i'm gonna need thing like usb stick, memory cards, and other things

if it wouldn't work, i was planning on doing freenass with them and plugging hard drives to usb for mass storage

No many RPis does not make a multi-core PC capable of running Windows Desktop Editions, your research is 1 out of 10 at best.

Take a look at this Blog for WHAT CAN be achieved with a Cluster:

https://blog.alexellis.io/test-drive-k3 ... pberry-pi/
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

Return to “General discussion”