LinuxEngineer

Easier way to Flash Compute Module 3 / 3+

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:57 am

Hi-

After reading the official procedure from Raspberry Pi on flashing the compute Module 3 / 3+ eMMC on-board storage with Raspbian, I thought: There has got to be a less convoluted process.

And I found one. It's documented at the below link:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/ ... module-3-3

Hope it saves folks time & grief and gets them developing their solutions on a Compute Module more quickly- T

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Easier way to Flash Compute Module 3 / 3+

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks for the heads up, might add something like that to the docs.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

incognitum

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:36 pm

May also want to mention in the docs that if you have a normal Pi running Raspbian, you can also just connect the CM board by USB and select the second option from the following pop-up screen you will get:

Can then dd your image to the new drive that will appear.

thagrol

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:07 pm

While we're at it, here's a problem I hit yesterday with a CM1 and its solution.

Despite having the drivers etc installed windows 10 wouldn't recognised the CM when connected. The solution was to boot it in mass storage mode from a Pi then, while leaving the I/O board powered move the USB slave connection from the host Pi to the windows PC.

Windows then recognised it as mass storage device.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

LinuxEngineer

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 pm

@incognitum: That looks very elegant too: I hadn't tried that!

The documentation really does need to be updated to reflect the alternate- more elegant- ways of populating a Compute Module with an OS. The official method is unnecessarily complex & time consuming. Folks just want to get on with prototyping their solutions, not spending an age configuring their development environment.

dadonelmondo

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:49 am

Hi there,
i was wondering for a project i'm starting to consider, if there is a way to flash and clone multiple compute module 3... i'm not very good with rasberry and i'm starting to study but in the project i'll have 1 master compute module 3 and several module that need to get all the info from the master.

is there a way to speed up the process? is there an hardware to be acquired to do that? can someone help because i saw a cluster hardware to fit 7 module but i don't know if it works as a single node or can be used to speed up the process...

please help defining the process.

thank you so much,
Davide.

cleverca22

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 am

ive been wondering if the usbboot could be made part of the official rpi SD imager tool

it would then detect the CM, shove over a bootcode.bin+msd.elf, and then allow flashing a .img to it like it already does with SD cards

burtyb

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:46 pm

dadonelmondo wrote: is there a way to speed up the process? is there an hardware to be acquired to do that? can someone help because i saw a cluster hardware to fit 7 module but i don't know if it works as a single node or can be used to speed up the process...
If you mean the Turing Pi then I'm not sure it would help you program CM but if you use one or more of either the official CM I/O board or my ClusterCTRL Single/Triple (I'd assume there are others too) then you could setup rpiboot to get them as MSD and then trigger writing the image with a udev rule or script something similar prompting you to switch CM when done etc.

Return to “Compute Module”